Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Re-signed] Jonas Brodin

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Re-signed] Jonas Brodin

A big time real-life Dman vs his limited fantasy value. Still an solid contract for the Wild. It only adds fuel to the Dumba trade fire.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/stat...29778919280642

Big #mnwild news. Jonas Brodin has signed a 7-year, $42 million contract extension. $6M AAV
    https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...32830145310720

Brodin's new 7-year contract extension with the Wild includes a NMC in the first-4 years of the deal, and applies to the final-year of his current deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Re-signed] Jonas Brodin

Can you agree to add a NMC in to an existing contract? Did not know that.

Seems like decent market value. Closer to the high side than the low side though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Can you agree to add a NMC in to an existing contract? Did not know that.

Seems like decent market value. Closer to the high side than the low side though.
    If this contract was $5M or less, everyone would be saying it's a bargain of a deal. At $6M, I think it's fair market value for what he brings to that team.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

I always thought that players sign for too long. I mean the guy is 27, why not take a 3-4 years contract and have another big payday? Now, it's probably the last big contract of his life.

It's even worst for players like Mcdavid, he doesn't know if EDM can put a winning team around him and he's stuck with them for all of his prime years.

Am I the only one that wonder?
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's probably the tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money but I'm just guessing here.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I always thought that players sign for too long. I mean the guy is 27, why not take a 3-4 years contract and have another big payday? Now, it's probably the last big contract of his life.

It's even worst for players like Mcdavid, he doesn't know if EDM can put a winning team around him and he's stuck with them for all of his prime years.

Risk management.

Administrator

Brodin did well to get a long contract. He wouldn't be getting more at 30. There just isn't a huge upside in this player. From the team's perspective I think the term is a big concern. Teams lock themselves in for too long and a too many of these deals go sideways.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

What if he has a significant injury early into the contract and can never play again? What if his play drops off significantly and he is only worth $3M at age 31 UFA? Either way, it was likely the last big contract of his career so tying more term give him more security.

I think its a good deal both ways.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    What if he has a significant injury early into the contract and can never play again? What if his play drops off significantly and he is only worth $3M at age 31 UFA? Either way, it was likely the last big contract of his career so tying more term give him more security.

I think its a good deal both ways.

Not impossible,

But I would bet on myself and on the fact that the cap is going to go up. Of course with Covid it's not possible to know for sure.

It's still my opinion that they take contracts that are too long. But I can see why players want to do that (no money stress, kids, and settle).
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Deity

It's all about financial security. I dont blame them really. At least it's guaranteed money, unlike the NFL where if you get cut, you're out money. The contract is toilet paper.

Not to mention, I doubt these guys enjoy the whole negotiations part of it. I know, the agents do the dirty work, but dont think it doesn't weigh heavy on the players minds too.

Dobber Sports Star

It's a chance to be certain that you're financially set for life. For Brodin, he gets paid $42 freaking million dollars. If he's injured and can't play again, he still gets that money. That's why players take a long contract... which door would you choose?

Door 1: a big contract $42M from 2021 to 2028. Total = $42M
    Door 2A: $24M from 2021 to 2025 ($6M x 4 years), then $27M ($9M x 3 years) from 2026 to 2028. Total = $51M
    Door 2B: $24M from 2021 to 2025 ($6M x 4 years), then $9M (injuries hit... $3M x 3 years) from 2026 to 2028. Total = $33M

I would take Door 1 every single time. Downside is way​ greater than upside in this case.

Dobber Sports Titan

27yrs old, 7yr deal.

They did this with Spurgeon too. Where you think "well it's not RIDICULOUS. But for a team that needs to be going in a different age direction it's odd." But again, you couldn't let him leave for free. But the NMC between 27-31yrs old...

I dunno man. It's an odd signing just based on age and direction of the team should be going. They are stuck in standings Purgatory.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

But I would bet on myself and on the fact that the cap is going to go up. Of course with Covid it's not possible to know for sure.
    Remember in the pre-cap era, when Paul Kariya bet on himself? He went from $10 million with the Ducks to $1.2 million on a one-year deal with Colorado to try to win a cup. He didn't, then the lockout happened, and in his next contract, he signed a two-year deal worth $4.5 million per season.

There's also looking at guys like David Clarkson and Nathan Horton. Imagine if they decided to bet on themselves and wait for another contract?

Of course, we all saw what Kevin Labanc did last summer by taking a way too low contract to bet on himself.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    It's a chance to be certain that you're financially set for life. For Brodin, he gets paid $42 freaking million dollars. If he's injured and can't play again, he still gets that money. That's why players take a long contract... which door would you choose?

Door 1: a big contract $42M from 2021 to 2028. Total = $42M
    Door 2A: $24M from 2021 to 2025 ($6M x 4 years), then $27M ($9M x 3 years) from 2026 to 2028. Total = $51M
    Door 2B: $24M from 2021 to 2025 ($6M x 4 years), then $9M (injuries hit... $3M x 3 years) from 2026 to 2028. Total = $33M

I would take Door 1 every single time. Downside is way​ greater than upside in this case.
    Yep, and that's just the downside risk where he can get a reasonable contract. Might wash out of the league due to various reasons.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Meh.
    Brodin is a solid D-man... I would call him a $5m guy, so to give him $6m is an ever-so-slight overpayment.

FWIW - Suter (LD) may call it quits after two seasons... and MIN probably hopes he will.
    He has one of those declining Zetterberg/Luongo-ish deals.

Suter's actual salaries are as follows:
    $8.0m (20-21)
    $6.0m (21-22), then retire?

$2.0m (22-23)
    $1.0m (23-24)
    $1.0m (24-25)

MIN is probably hoping for eventual big things from Calen Addison (who they got from PIT for Zucker), but he is a RD just like Dumba & Spurgeon.
    MIN also has a nice sleeper in Brennan Menell, but he too is a RH shot.

Good to have Brodin's LH for pairings. That... may have been worth the extra $1m per year.