Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breakout D

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Breakout D

Looking for a possible breakout next season. Last year I drafted Theodore thinking he was on the right path and might finally live up to the original hype. Pretty happy with my choice. Cap league and still 5 years left at $5,2M.

Out of the following list, who do you think has the best chance of breaking out and what would said breakout look like production wise (goals = 1, assists = 1)? Including salaries if you can also let me know who you'd rather own next season in a cap league.

McAvoy $4,9M (2 years)
    Chychrun $4,6 (5)
    Hanifin $4,95M (4)
    Ristolainen $5,4 (2) - already had 40+ pts seasons so wondering if more is possible...guessing depends if traded!?
    Severson $4,17 (3)
    Butcher $3,74 (2)
    Slavin $5,3 (5)
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Breakout D

I would rather own none of these guys, take a chance on a guy that's paid less than half of what these guys make, and spend the money elsewhere.

If I have to pick one of them, it would be either McAvoy or Chychrun depending on how the offseasons go for both teams.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A bunch of low salary D... aFavourites? any must avoid for next season?

Boqvist - My top choice - have to drop him unless I finally get a decent deal for Carlson
    Marino - MIGHT not be protected - GM has Dahlin, Heiskenen, Fox and Hedman
    Ty Smith
    Valimaki
    Lehtonen
    Perunovich
    Cholowski
    Merkley
    Seider
    Bean
    Broberg
    Liljegren
    Timmins
    Carrier
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't think any of those will be worth their cap hits in points only, but if I had to choose I'd probably go McAvoy. He's one of the younger options and is a possibility to take over the pp1 reigns from Krug. Also, I don't hate Severson being just a hair over 4M. He could put up good enough numbers to be worth that cap hit, but I'd put it down as unlikely,
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

McAvoy, Chychrun, Risto, Severson are the guys I like in that order. In all cases though it really depends what happens with their teams and situations this offseason. All are much better in multicat formats as well.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like all of these guys to be productive in some capacity next year:

Boqvist
    Marino
    Ty Smith
    Valimaki
    Lehtonen
    Perunovich
    Timmins
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I like all of these guys to be productive in some capacity next year:

Boqvist
    Marino
    Ty Smith
    Valimaki
    Lehtonen
    Perunovich
    Timmins
    I'd even add Seider and bean to this to some degree

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    I'd even add Seider and bean to this to some degree
    Yeah, I'm just not as confident in them making the teams to begin with to put them on the same list.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What are your thoughts on Sean Walker? 24 pts in 70 games last season. Room to grow or is this what should be expected going forward? Signed at $2,65M for 4 seasons... a good late pickup or not?

Dobber Sports Titan

He's a decent option with s better floor than most, but some of the other guys you listed are half the price with higher ceilings.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm surprised more aren't steering you towards Lehtonen. Offensive-minded D on a team that prioritises scoring, I think it's a better chance than not he takes the Leafs' 2nd power-play unit spot even if he becomes bottom pairing at even strength, and sub $1M salary with no bonuses (I'm not sure what your cap league does with those but Marino could potentially nearly double his salary.)

Also, https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/1...38193909514241

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm surprised more aren't steering you towards Lehtonen. Offensive-minded D on a team that prioritises scoring, I think it's a better chance than not he takes the Leafs' 2nd power-play unit spot even if he becomes bottom pairing at even strength, and sub $1M salary with no bonuses (I'm not sure what your cap league does with those but Marino could potentially nearly double his salary.)

Also, https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/1...38193909514241
    I think it's because there was Dermott/Rielly/Barrie on the Leafs' PP2 this past season, and how well did that go? Plus he's an unknown, and not even guaranteed to make the team. I don't think he has quite the upside of a Boqvist/Smith/Valimaki either. I left him on the list because he has a decent floor, but there are better/equal options.

Dobber Sports Stud

McAvoy
    Boqvist
    Valimaki
    Ty Smith

Dobber Sports Sophomore

if he's available, im taking a shot on Grzelcyk on my team... needs to sign an RFA deal but has a decent shot at pp1 in Boston if Krug takes off
    18 Team Full Keeper Start 10F, 3D, 1 G, 1 Flex Skater, 3 ​JR

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway
    D: Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Valimaki, Hughes, K Miller, ​Grzelcyk
    G: Holtby, Gibson, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For me, McAvoy.
    He's running the PP1 if Krug leaves... and that's a dynamic PP1.

McAvoy will be a 50-60pt D-man if Krug leaves.
    I think Boston only takes a slight step back if they downgrade to McAvoy-Grzelcyk running that PP.

But the $7m that Krug can/will demand, IMO, is better spent on a 2nd line forward to give the Bs more scoring punch.
    I think we'll see them make a major play for Taylor Hall... and possibly fall back to Mikael Granlund if they can't get Hall.

Bs have one of the better 1-3year out cap structures in the NHL with the numbers they have on Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak/McAvoy.
    And with Bergeron's age, they can still compete hard for a cup... with a team that adds Taylor Hall.... instead of re-signing Krug.

So I think Krug is left to walk (i.e. "sign elsewhere").
    Then the Bs take that money and use it on a 1st/2nd line forward.
    And then McAvoy steps up into big scoring & huge minutes - both of which he can handle.

So... I'd go after him before Krug leaves and it becomes obvious.