Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tavares vs Karlsson (HB21 vs EB)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Tavares vs Karlsson (HB21 vs EB)

Hey Dobber Nation. Working on a trade in the infamous WHL. Interested to see how the Nation sees these player's value to help come to terms with this move.

My Team is in my Signature.

With Matthews and Tavares eating up over $22 million of our $100 million cap, wondering if it's wise to shift some of those dollars.

Potential Deal on the table is

my John Tavares and his $11 million Cap hit and my 2021 1st round pick
    For
    EB's Erik Karlsson and his just over $11 million Cap hit and 2020 1st rounder (pick 23 of 24)

With Farm Eligible (But NHL Ready) C's like Lizotte, Lundestrom, and Stephens available (and Kyrou/Merkley C eligible but really RW) I thought I may have enough support on C to shift that hight Ticket to D where I currently only have 4 of 6 spots spoken for (Barrie/Graves/McNabb and Mayfield). I do have C.Jones and Mahura (both NHL Ready but may not be NHL Regulars) ready to slot in, but clearly my D is the one area I could use the most help in.

What is the general thought of this deal? I'm not all that crazy on Karlsson's recent fall off from being the best Offensive D in the world to being a very Good but very injury prone D but can't deny his value if...IF... he returns to even 80% of his Senator Form (but he's not getting younger).

On the other side... Matthews/Tavares is a pretty sweet 1 2 punch down the middle and Tavares' injuries have been more freakish and not chronic.

Give it to us. Are JT and EK65 essentially the same value (given the positional difference?).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Tavares vs Karlsson (HB21 vs EB)

24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    Lol. Thanks for the contribution from the Generals.

Dobber Sports Initiate

ok I will bite, 60 pt D are few and hard to acquire in a league this size while centers are more plentiful. That being said Tavares, in this league has ranked higher at his position over the last 3 yrs. than Karlsson although in cap league rankings E.K. ranks higher than J.T. At that cap hit I would take the 80 pt. forward over the 60 pt D man. Having 12 forward slots to 6 D also sways me to Tavares. I dont see a replacement on your roster for Tavares so your filling one hole and creating another. I also prefer the surrounding talent in Toronto to the Sharks.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Superstar

in your shoes I do not value Karlsson's potential for contribution at this point in his career after all the injuries compared to the 1,2 punch you already possess despite the price tag. As said above, this just fills one hole yet creates another.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sometimes, both sides can win a negotiation, if they get what they want or need. This seems like one of those times.

You want positional diversity, and you have a need at D to fill.

He's a wiling trade partner, and figuring that Tavares is a bit younger,I'd guess that's part of why he's doing it.

Seems like a fair deal.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks Bobby and Luigi makes sense

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Sometimes, both sides can win a negotiation, if they get what they want or need. This seems like one of those times.

He's a wiling trade partner, and figuring that Tavares is a bit younger,I'd guess that's part of why he's doing it.

Seems like a fair deal.
    Good point. Thanks Steve

Dobber Sports Sage

Too much risk on the Karlsson side for me. If he keeps up what we have seen the past couple of years you will have a very expensive declining player whose perceived value is diminishing as well. Personally I dont touch Karlsson in a cap league unless theres a discount. He is by far one of the riskiest players to own right now. The thing is, he was an awesome shotblocker on top of everything else in OTT. Since he had half his ankle removed in that surgery he is not the same player he was. I pass.
    P.S. Karlsson is on the block in every one of my leagues. JT is on the block in none.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Seems like a fair deal.
    They're both born in 1990 so I don't see how the age is a factor haha.

I have Karlsson down for 65 points next year and Tavares for 78. So yeah, as the others have said it's pretty even, depends if you value the D or the C more. On my end I have a ton of depth on D but a lot less at C.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    They're both born in 1990 so I don't see how the age is a factor haha.

I have Karlsson down for 65 points next year and Tavares for 78. So yeah, as the others have said it's pretty even, depends if you value the D or the C more. On my end I have a ton of depth on D but a lot less at C.
    Late to the party EB. I thought you’d be here first.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Late to the party EB. I thought you’d be here first.
    Was making dinner for the in laws. Been busy the last few hours. I've been waiting on you to press accept
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well done. I’m sure the in-laws enjoyed it! I’ve been busy here doing my due diligence.

Dobber Sports Titan

Always easier to pawn the decision off on someone else

Dobber Sports Veteran

Can you afford a different C, rather than use the player's you've listed from your farm as a replacement?

If you can't, I would pass on the deal because the risk/reward factor isn't on your side. Moving a rock of a player like Tavares where you know what you're going to get from season to season for a high risk/high reward type player in EK just seems too risky due to his recent injuries.

What if you add Eller to the deal, and he gives a minor upgrade at C in return to off-set the risk of EK vs Tavares? Could still work out as a win-win deal for both sides...