Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smartwatches - Fitbit v. Galaxy v. Apple v. other

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Smartwatches - Fitbit v. Galaxy v. Apple v. other

Wondering if anyone has any opinions/experiences with their smartwatches?

I have had a Fitbit and have had no complaints while it was working. Mine recently crapped out on me (screen just stopped working) and I am just outside the warranty period. I have sent one last "disappointed customer" email to them as a last ditch to see if they replace it however not holding my breath. They did offer 35% off a new one, but honestly I'm a little bummed with Fitbit right now, not sure if I want another or if I'll try something new.

I've had a few people recommend the Samsung Galaxy watch recently. I've read up on it and seems very similar to Fitbit. I have always owned Galaxy products (Tablet, phone) and have never had any issues with the products or the customer service, so this does seem appealing to me. I'm not an Apple guy, I hate using my wife's ipad, so I'll probably steer clear of Apple unless someone has a compelling argument for it.

I'm pretty basic on my needs from what I need in a watch - I essentially just want the fitness tracking (calories, steps, etc.), the sleep tracker, ability to add my music to it, and I need a slightly larger screen (My wife has the smaller model but I find it tough to read). I have zero interest in syncing it up to my phone for texts/emails/calls, or having access to Alexa, google, etc. I'm not overly fussed on price so long as it is reasonable (i.e. in that $250 to $350 range that most seem to be).

Anyone have any suggestions, experiences, etc.? Will rep wherever I can.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Smartwatches - Fitbit v. Galaxy v. Apple v. other

Let me start out by saying I am an Apple guy, so I'm probably a little bias. I still use the 1st gen Apple watch (now referred to as Series 0) and it's extremely durable and versatile. It's best used with an iPhone, but it still has all the features you're looking for built-in, minus the sleep tracking (free apps such as Sleep++ are available though, just not sure how it would work without an iPhone). I'm sure the newer models have it built in, but because my old one works so well I haven't even looked into upgrading tbh... It has 2GB of storage for your music (newer ones probably have more). You can customize it by throwing on different style cases, and the easy-to swap bands are convenient too. If you want to go from working out, to dinner or drinks with friends, all you have to do is press the band release button, slide the band to the side and swap out your silicone band for a metal/fabric band. Literally takes a minute, with no tools. The battery isn't great, but keep in mind this is a 5 year old smartwatch now so I can't speak for the newer models. It will usually last me a day and a half before I need a charge (usually never an issue though because I just put it on the charger when I go to bed at night). If you're running low on juice (or in your case want to use it for sleep tracking) and NEED to re-charge it same day, it's usually fully charged from ~10% in about an hour and a half so you can toss it on the charger while watching a couple Netflix episodes and put it back on before bed.

All-in-all, the fact that it's aged so flawlessly, I don't think I would ever consider any other smart watch on the market other than a newer model.

Dobber Sports Icon

I have a Garmin Venu and love it. It does everything I need it to do and has a great battery. I just plug it into my computer about once a week while I am using the computer and it's fully charged and rest for another week.

If fitness tracking is what you want most, I would urge you to find the Garmin product that suits your needs the best.

I also will soon have a Garmin Vivofit 4 that Manulife Insurance is sending me for free for purchasing a Manulife Vitality life insurance policy. I've also earned $95 in Amazon Gift Cards in the first 7 months that I've been a Vitality member.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Love it. I think apple makes a great watch too, but I am perfectly happy with my Garmin.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Never had Garmin. But had 3 different Fitbits increasing in cost and “quality” after the previous one(s) broke outside of warranty. Went to the Apple Watch. Will never look back. Irons of walking/running and high intensity workouts ... it’s great. And 2nd to none for the smart features IMO.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Might be mistaken, but I was pretty sure the Apple Watch was pretty limited if you didn't have an iPhone?

I'm currently using a Fitbit Versa 2 (full disclosure: was a warranty upgrade from my Charge 3 that had the screen dim issue), and it's basically what I want out of a watch: semi-smart (don't really care for a lot of the bells and whistles), battery lasts forever (think I charge it once a week maybe?), charges quick enough if you find yourself in a pinch (15% battery will last a day+). I use it for some basic notifications, but otherwise it's a watch/fitness tracker, and that's all I want. Not sure I could convince myself to pump out an extra $480USD for the Apple Watch (I'd need the cellular version not having an iPhone).

My GF has the Samsung Galaxy Active 2, and it seems to just sit on the charger mostly. That said she's stoked about the blood pressure monitor that's coming.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Apple people are hell bent on their products. I've never really been an Apple guy. The only Apple product I can remember owning is an iPod years ago. I just don't like Apples proprietary setup. I much prefer Android products

As far as your watch que, I've owned three different Fitbit products with a lot of success. My last one just crapped the bed a couple months ago and I haven't replaced it yet because of Covid and to be honest, I've simply got lazy LOL.

Reading some of the comments, it's got me considering other options. It won't be Apple, but I'm curious about the Garmin now. I currently have a LG phone so not sure how well (if at all) the Galaxy watches work with these phones as far as synchronization goes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks guys, giving me a lot to think about. I'm going to check out the Garmin products - how is the battery life on those?

EDIT: Just did some research on the Garmin products, and I think I am going to go with a Vivo 3, looks like it checks all of the boxes for me, and the 7 day battery life is amazing. Waiting on Fitbit to get back to me on my last message but assuming they do not do anything additional I'll be ordering one of the Garmins next week.

Thanks everyone, have repped wherever I could!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I love apple products and think they’re great, but I wouldn’t bother getting an Apple Watch if you don’t have an iPhone. I have an Apple Watch and I love it, but for your purposes I would do the Galaxy or Garmin. Everyone I know with a Garmin watch loves it.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Thanks guys, giving me a lot to think about. I'm going to check out the Garmin products - how is the battery life on those?

EDIT: Just did some research on the Garmin products, and I think I am going to go with a Vivo 3, looks like it checks all of the boxes for me, and the 7 day battery life is amazing. Waiting on Fitbit to get back to me on my last message but assuming they do not do anything additional I'll be ordering one of the Garmins next week.

Thanks everyone, have repped wherever I could!
    I would say I get 4-5 days on average with my Garmin Vivoactive 3 before it needs a charge. However, I use the activity feature quite a bit which uses a lot of battery power. Charging is really simple it goes from nothing to 100% in just over an hour. Easy peasy.

Just a heads up only certain versions of the Vivoactive 3 have music storage.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Titan

I have a Fossil Gen 5 smartwatch. I like it. I got it when I owned a Google Pixel cell and loved it with it. That crapped out and I upgraded to the New Galaxy phone. It doesn't quite work as well with messaging from it. But I'm fine with that as I just end up reading the text on my watch and if needed I'll pull out my cell.

It tracks steps, workouts, heart rate, sleep, whatever a smartwatch should do and it's powered by Google Wear OS. HOWEVER, the battery ends up being a charge/day if you want to utilize it to it's fullest power. Kind of fat for my liking for wearing while doing a sport (plus I'm nervous since it's expensive for me).

I love it though since it's round and has more of a watch look than Apple's stuff. I was recently looking at buying a used Galaxy watch and selling my Fossil one. Just to have Galaxy products though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting thread.
    Mostly because I've always hated watches and anything on my wrists/hands/fingers.
    I was never sure why there was so much product advertising and wondered who buys these... now I know!
    OK.... ok....

Dobber Sports Ninja

My wife uses a Garmin Vivosmart. Very simple, but does everything she needs. Loves it.

I use a Suunto Ambit3 Peak that I bought a few years ago. Does everything you would need for being outside. I don't wear it during the day as I hate having anything on my wrist while I am typing.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Interesting thread.
    Mostly because I've always hated watches and anything on my wrists/hands/fingers.
    I was never sure why there was so much product advertising and wondered who buys these... now I know!
    OK.... ok....
    I started wearing a watch in gr7. It ended up being because I needed glasses but had no idea. I thought people were just better at reading the clock on the wall at school than I was so I bought a watch. Now I feel naked without one on.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

I used to wear a watch as a child then I stopped as a teenager. Then I got one for a birthday present when I was about 25. I wore that one for special occasions and also when I got dressed up (shirt/tie) to see clients. Then I got myself a Garmin Venu and it only leaves my wrist when I do dishes, sometimes when I shower and when I charge it. I don't even notice it anymore and love all the data it gives me. Including that I walk up more flights of stairs than 99% of the people in my age category. At least this was true when I had a newborn in the house and the only way she would go to sleep was if I held her and walked up and down flights of stairs!!! My record was 84 flights up in a day!