Thread: Laine's Value & Future

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Laine's Value & Future

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time really valuing Laine in a keeper roto league (goals, assists, points, +/-, pims, ppg, ppa).

Do you still consider him a superstar? 50 goal potential? 90+ points?

Would you prefer Laine over K.Connor right now?

I feel like his natural talent is one of the highest ever but his personality seems to rub some people the wrong way and his production has been all over the place. Do you think he's worth the risk to try and acquire now because he will only grow in value? Or, do you lean more the other way, that he's risky, still demands a high price, hasn't lived up to it yet, let someone else deal with the potential downside.

Thanks for any info!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Laine's Value & Future

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    Do you still consider him a superstar? 50 goal potential? 90+ points?
    I never considered him a superstar, but a star with upside to get to superstar status.

50 goal potential? Absolutely. He's 22. He scored 44 as a 19 year old in his second season. Guys who do that and that are still young either have 50 goal potential, or have scored 50 already moving "potential" to "done", or have had a very serious injury that causes them to maybe not play again.

90+ points? That's trickier. If you take his assist pace his year, and pair it with a 50 goal season, he gets to 92. So I'd say it's possible, but he needs to get back to scoring goals like that prior year, and repeat or better this assist rate. If you asked for 80+, I'd say yes for sure.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I prefer Connor over Laine, but Laine's no slouch. I think he'll (Laine) be a consistent 40+ goal scorer and might hit 50 once or twice. He's goal heavy so I think he'll be a PPG player or close to, but I don't see him adding 50 assists a season.

With the trade rumours you can inquire about his availability. The owner might be thinking of a trade to another team and the impact if he's paired with worse linemates (I think Laine will be fine no matter where he goes).
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think its a coin flip between Laine and Connor for next season (maybe a slight edge to Connor). Past that I'm strongly in favour of Laine however. I think Connor is simply someone who has managed to peak earlier. Not that he doesn't have any room left to grow, but a ppg pace would be my expectations going forward. Laine on the other hand has stumbled a bit, but has the capability to do a bit more than Connor. Its unlikely that we've seen Laine's best goal scoring season already from his age 19 season, and since then he's improved the other aspects of his game. I'd expect him to be just shy of a ppg pace again next year, but to have a number of 90+ point seasons in the future.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Isn't he 7th in league goals since his draft year? Connor I think is more mature, hence his high value now, but if Laine matures, I personally take him over Connor. I can't really speak to the other cats in your sig, but strictly points, I think Laine can outscore Connor by a good margin in the near future and beyond.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

The Great One

Here's the biggest factor in this one...If Laine gets traded out from under one of the worst coaches in the league (Maurice) he is going to go off. Maurice is holding him back like you read about. There is no way in heck I'm taking Connor over Laine in any term.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

Pure talent Laine has higher upside than Connor but may not get there the way hes currently deployed. It's not just Connor, Ehlers is arguably ahead of him on the depth chart as well. Laine would need top line deployment with a legit #1 centre in order to reach his peak. His short time with Paul Stastny as his centre on the second line was very productive for him.

I really do think the Jets will strongly consider moving Laine for a defenseman, that team needs 3-4 good NHL dmen and they certainly dont grow on trees.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.