Thread: Supporting Black Entrepreneurs

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Supporting Black Entrepreneurs

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Supporting Black Entrepreneurs

I bet the comments in this thread will be fantastic.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I bet the comments in this thread will be fantastic.
    Thanks for leading the way.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Thanks for leading the way.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ninja

Serious question, do you have to be 100% black to receive support? How does it work if one of my parents or grandparents is black, would I qualify for at least a partial amount? Would Rachel Dolezal qualify? Are they going to do a DNA test?

Why does it need to be about colour? Are there not plenty of underprivileged white or hispanic or asian Canadians who could use a hand up to start a business? Why couldn't it be if you have less than a certain amount of net worth/capital or earned less than $xxxx over each of the last xx years to qualify? I'm sure some successful business people could come up with a solution that has nothing to do with colour and would help more than just black Canadians.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Serious question, do you have to be 100% black to receive support? How does it work if one of my parents or grandparents is black, would I qualify for at least a partial amount? Would Rachel Dolezal qualify? Are they going to do a DNA test?

Why does it need to be about colour? Are there not plenty of underprivileged white or hispanic or asian Canadians who could use a hand up to start a business? Why couldn't it be if you have less than a certain amount of net worth/capital or earned less than $xxxx over each of the last xx years to qualify? I'm sure some successful business people could come up with a solution that has nothing to do with colour and would help more than just black Canadians.
    I haven't seen any "lists" of criteria that needs to be met yet..

It's not about underprivileged people getting a hand out, it's legit entrepreneurs who have an idea and want to expand on it. From what I gather, when the financial institutions have two applicants to decide who they're going to give a loan to, the black applicant is getting over-looked. This program should now allow both the opportunity.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad he's taking the initiative to actual invest in Canadians & Canadian owned businesses.

Dobber Sports Titan

Collective Arts is a brewery in Hamilton and they opened up a scholarship for "people that have a background that has been under-represented in brewing" to Niagara College. The wording for that group is:
    • A student from a diverse background presently under-represented in the brewing industry. Examples include but are not limited to: women, Indigenous peoples, racial/ethnic/religious minorities, people with disabilities, first generation Canadians, LGBTQ+
    It's probably under the same umbrella of wording. "Diverse Background". They likely leave it pretty broad explanation because it would fluctuate year to year when it comes to an ethnicity side of the scholarship. I'm assuming it's the same for this. Keep it broad and let a board decide. One year they could have 99% of applications from people who's parents are Black. The next yr it could be 75% parents black, 15% grandparents, 10% 1 grandparent.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releas...s-and-business

More details, including eligibility criteria and how to apply, will follow in the coming weeks.