Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making a play for 2nd overall (helps or hurts me?)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Making a play for 2nd overall (helps or hurts me?)

Full disclosure, I'm not dying to trade Kaprizov, but was looking at maybe making a play for the 2nd overall pick. I know it would be costly, and I don't want to set myself back just to get a shot at Byfield or Stutzle, but wanted to get an honest assessment.

My proposal would be Kaprizov (would have to be on the other GMs main roster), Fox, 14th overall and a 1st (10-12 OA) next year for the 2nd overall this year.

Current assets (draft picks) are: 1st overall (not dealing it!) 14, 23, 25, 36, 38 and 48th overall.

Or, the same GM has the 2nd and 5th overall, so is there an offer you'd see that I could make for those picks? And would it make sense for me in my position? I feel it's too much and would maybe hurt me, but you guys know more than me haha!

This will be the last time I ask! Promise!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Making a play for 2nd overall (helps or hurts me?)

im not 100% sure i understand setting about who you can keep or drop and all that , however, based just on the value, this is huge overpayment. Kaprizov is being drafted second after Laf in some leagues where he is available. This would be hard pass for me unless its straight up, even then you getting production now vs production at similar level 2-3 years from now.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think that's too much. Kaprizov and Fox are playing in the NHL next year and they're both good young players, Byfield will most likely be in the minors next season. When are you planning to compete? Keep an eye on your window and stick to that plan, don't get distracted with the draft otherwise you'll always be rebuilding.

Are they in a rebuild too? I'd offer one player and one pick and then negotiate from there depending on what they're looking for. You may want to shop Kaprizov and Fox to other teams to see what you get and then create a new package for the 2nd overall.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    im not 100% sure i understand setting about who you can keep or drop and all that , however, based just on the value, this is huge overpayment. Kaprizov is being drafted second after Laf in some leagues where he is available. This would be hard pass for me unless its straight up, even then you getting production now vs production at similar level 2-3 years from now.
    Players taken during their draft year go on the minors roster for 5 years. Kaprizov was never drafted in our rookie drafts, therefore he became available on the waiver.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont see why you should have to add Fox to that offer considering the hype around Kaprizov around most fantasy circles.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by VanDan View Post
    I think that's too much. Kaprizov and Fox are playing in the NHL next year and they're both good young players, Byfield will most likely be in the minors next season. When are you planning to compete? Keep an eye on your window and stick to that plan, don't get distracted with the draft otherwise you'll always be rebuilding.

Are they in a rebuild too? I'd offer one player and one pick and then negotiate from there depending on what they're looking for. You may want to shop Kaprizov and Fox to other teams to see what you get and then create a new package for the 2nd overall.
    I'm am a long ways away from competing. Reason I'm asking here is I made a lot of really bad deals in the past, and set myself very far back, so taking advice from guys in the forums, I'm trying not to make offers or accept them until checking here first. You can see why, as that proposal isn't popular with two of you so far LOL! I am at least 5 years away from being relevant in our pool thanks to my stupidity in the past. The other GM isn't rebuilding and does have a real nice group of prospects and picks this year, so he'd probably turn this offer down. Fox being a D man decreases his value a little in our pool. Kaprizov having to be rostered also diminishes his value a little, as he's a massive prospect but cannot go on our minors.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont see why you should have to add Fox to that offer considering the hype around Kaprizov around most fantasy circles.
    That's just how our league is with D men. It's hard to deal them in any trade. But this makes me feel a little better about my assessment that it is probably way too much to offer, so perhaps there's hope for me yet haha!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Don't be hard on yourself. No GM has a 100% track record. It's always good to run an idea on this forum and get feedback (although keep in mind other GMs in your league may be on this forum too) but in the end go with your gut and have fun in the league.

Take a look at previous trades in your league and that will give you a good idea of what prices are. You'll be able to tell which GMs are tight, and which ones are crazy. If you have a WhatsApp forum, there might be chatter from other GMs discussing trade results and you can get an idea of what people thought of any trades went down. It'll give you better perspective on who won/lost a deal and why, and you can learn from it.

If the other GM is competing and not in a rebuild, ask about a package of roster players for the 2nd overall. Btw I'd be trading Yandle and Suter this year as they're not in your window.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DocMcPuffin View Post
    That's just how our league is with D men. It's hard to deal them in any trade. But this makes me feel a little better about my assessment that it is probably way too much to offer, so perhaps there's hope for me yet haha!
    well this will have a chance to be the worst deal you ever make if you do it
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    well this will have a chance to be the worst deal you ever make if you do it
    Oh, you have no idea, my friend hahaha!

Dobber Sports Icon

I would not trade Kaprizov for the 2nd overall pick in this year's draft so that tells you how far away from being a good offer this is.

Walk away from the trade table as you have a serious case of Draft Pick Fever.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I would not trade Kaprizov for the 2nd overall pick in this year's draft so that tells you how far away from being a good offer this is.

Walk away from the trade table as you have a serious case of Draft Pick Fever.
    Seems to be a seasonal thing with me haha! Ok my mind is made up. I'll shred this offer and never speak of it again. More I think about it, it's like I'm trying to trade a lottery pick for an equal lottery pick with Kaprizov. For a waiver add, I should smack myself for even thinking of this. I might actually do that haha!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This sounds like a huge overpay to me.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Rep'd who I could. Thanks for talking me off the ledge, dudes!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Full disclosure, I'm not dying to trade Kaprizov, but was looking at maybe making a play for the 2nd overall pick. I know it would be costly, and I don't want to set myself back just to get a shot at Byfield or Stutzle, but wanted to get an honest assessment.

My proposal would be Kaprizov (would have to be on the other GMs main roster), Fox, 14th overall and a 1st (10-12 OA) next year for the 2nd overall this year.

Current assets (draft picks) are: 1st overall (not dealing it!) 14, 23, 25, 36, 38 and 48th overall.

Or, the same GM has the 2nd and 5th overall, so is there an offer you'd see that I could make for those picks? And would it make sense for me in my position? I feel it's too much and would maybe hurt me, but you guys know more than me haha!

This will be the last time I ask! Promise!
    That is a straight up terrible offer for you. That's 3 lottery tickets plus Fox for one lottery ticket, that I'm not sure has a much better chance of payout than your best lottery ticket right now does.

Let's compare:
    Kaprizov is probably close to Byfeld, and further along.
    Fox is better than nothing, by a HUGE AMOUNT
    Those other 2 picks are also better than nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you have no idea, my friend hahaha!
    No, he's right, there's a chance. It's not a high chance, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.