Thread: Draft Advice

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Draft Advice

Hi everyone,

I have a few scenarios for an upcoming draft (team is League 2 in my signature). 13 teams, multi-cat with no salary cap. Play 3 C, 3 RW, 3 LW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G. Categories are points, +/-, PIM, SOG, Blks, Hits and I'm not competing for three years so I'm willing to wait on studs (but not take on too many hit or miss prospects). 6 teams are chasing the money and 7 (including me) are on rebuilds.
    I know I'm weak on D and G but will have to get them through the draft as stud young D men don't get traded. I also think Askarov will go either at 6 or the 9 overall spot as both teams badly need a young goalie for the future so I'm wondering if I should take him at 4 (which too high IMO) or just hope to grab him with my 2nd rounder (20th overall but I really doubt he'll be there - Spencer Knight went in the early 2nd round last year).

I have the 1st overall (Lafraniere/Byfield), plus 4th overall and a 2nd rounder (20th overall) plus lower picks. I'm looking at a few scenarios for the draft:

1) Just draft the best player available at 4th overall (probably a forward) and get a D man in trade or next year's draft which looks deep
    2) Draft Drysdale/Askarov at 4th overall (which is too high IMO)
    3) Trade for 9th overall (thinking Saros and a lower pick)

The draft is a few months away but I wanted early feedback. Thanks in advance!
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Draft Advice

First, I don't think you are that weak in net. You have 2 current starters, one of whom is a FA in Talbot, and non-keeper with his age. You have a young goalie who looks like he'll be the backup by mid-season at the latest, assuming he doesn't have all kinds of issues with the different sized ice surface. Dealing Saros for a pick to possibly take Askarov, if he's even there, is a step or more backwards. You give up years of development time, and add bust risk.

Second, not competing for 3 years seems like a long time to not compete. I understand that some leagues seem to set up where a bunch of teams rebuild, but 7 at once seems like a lot, if 6 teams are chasing the playoffs.

Third, I'd simply take BPA with your picks. Your league is multi-cat, and there's no guarantee that any young D or G you get will be ready in 3 years, nor that they will be useful. At least with a forward, you should know by then. Also, there are generally useful multi-cat D that come out of nowhere as older rookies.

Good luck.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Take the BPA and worry about positions later. It's always easy to trade a high end forward for a D down the road.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Definitely BPA. Don't trade down for Askarov or Drysdale, and no way do you draft them at 4.

I also agree with Steve's point that you should aim to compete sooner because turning the corner will take longer than you think. If you aim for three years it will be five. Aim for 1-2 years and then it will be 2-3.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

All good points, thanks! I think it's sensible to get the BPA and then make a trade later.
    League 1
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk

League 2
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen

Dobber Sports Initiate

How many months away is your draft?
    As the 2020 NHL draft is set fot October 9th & 10th.
    If it is after. Then you will know which team has drafted who. May help with your later picks.

As for 1st and 4th overall. Go the best player available route.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It's TBD but it's usually during training camp and would be after the NHL draft for sure.
    League 1

League 2

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by VanDan View Post
    It's TBD but it's usually during training camp and would be after the NHL draft for sure.
    Go with best player available.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO