Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming Service

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Music Streaming Service

Google is killing off Google Play Music (GPM) in the next month or two. I have been using GPM on a daily basis ever since Rdio was bought by Pandora in 2015. GPM has functioned well for my needs which are play albums, my created playlists and "mood' type playlists that will keep playing music based off an initial selection of a song or an artist. I also need to have the ability to download music to my phone so I can play it in my car. I have one CD which I uploaded to GPM but that is not a big concern.

Google is moving its music streaming service to Youtube Music. I tried it last night and it's terrible so I am looking for a different premium subscription service. What do people recommend?

The other concern for me is I recently received a Garmin watch for getting a Manulife Vitality life insurance policy and it can play music. The only streaming services that currently work in the Garmin environment are Spotify, Amazon Music, Deezer and iHeart Radio. If one of those are the best option, it would increase their value to me dramatically.

Looking forward to your thoughts and a good discussion on this subject.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Music Streaming Service

Hoped on Spotify 3 or so years ago after being a google play music listener, and I've never looked back.

I do believe however you need a subscription to get most of the features, but it checks off all the boxes of features you are looking for.

Once you've listened for a while it will create your Daily mixes, up to 6 I believe, based on the different genres you listen to and try to create playlist it thinks you like.

You can also "play radio" of a certain song or album, so for example there's a song you like and would like to listen to more similar music, but not necessairly the same artist, "play radio" will just randomly play songs like that.

You can download as much as your little device can handle.

Only gripe is that the mobile app is a little limited in terms of modifying or manipulating existing custom playlists, but the desktop app can do just about all of that.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Expert

I switched over to Spotify when Google annouced they were canning Play Music. SAme reason, transferred the music to Youtube Music but hated it. I mean you can't even sort play lists.

Definitely would recommend Spotify. Apple is good too but I personally found it to not be as good when not using an iPhone.

If you have a lot of playlists, you can get some transfer programs that will ship all your music from GPM over to Spotify. It's limited at like 100 songs but you can pay a small fee to do this. I was cheap and just did it manually because I needed to purge my playlists lol.

Dobber Sports Deity

I pay for the Spotify premium family service so this allows me, my wife and two teenage kids their own accounts. I can have up to six accounts if I wanted to but there's only four of us so it is what it is. This is the only streaming service I've ever paid for and I have no issues with it. Sure, there are a couple artists who dont put their music on Spotify but I survive.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

I have been paying for the premium version of music streaming since about 2013 and will continue to do so. I listen to probably 50+ hours of music a week so it's a small price to pay to listen to anything I want whenever I want.

Sounds like Spotify is the best option. Does anyone have any experience with Deezer?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Play albums - Check
    Created Playlists - Check
    Continuing music when playlist ends - Check
    download songs/playlists to device - Check
    Works with Garmin - Check

Spotify checks all the boxes.

And if you sign up now you get a free Google nest mini.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good read on Spotify's plans:
    https://www.priceintelligently.com/b...icing-strategy

Two points of interest:
    *The "Family Plan" is considered a great deal vs. what people might actually pay
    *It's interesting about a certain generation not willing to "pay for their music". I'm in that... having grown up with burning my friends CDs, Napster, Limewire. Gosh, I should shake that. I probably have 10,000+ songs... and I bet I've paid for maybe 30-40 CDs in my entire lifetime (maybe $500 in total music spending). I (& my kids) listen to ad-included Pandora... getting intermittent advertisements thrust in front of us so that we can *not-pay for music! My kids are still young and just want to hear what's on the radio. Plus, I don't mind exposing them to dealing with commercials/ads. That can teach a bit of patience and non-perfection. I mean, shit, they already *stream* all their TV content and don't have to deal with the ads we used to!!!

I did... just pay $12 for the Taylor Swift CD.
    Don't laugh... it.is.really.good. (Her best. Folky, not poppy.)
    [Oh - and I spent $15 for the Hamilton Music. That shit is a-ma-zing. Some music... you want to listen to it, in order. And have some paper lyrics... so CDs, still works for this guy.]

Best deal on the internet for us old-men (40+):
    If you even mildly like jazz... this 8-CD set for $17. Awesome.
    https://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Jazz...9160052&sr=8-1

Dobber Sports Titan

I use Spotify.

I was gifted 3yrs of Spotify with a new contract for my cell way back when Spotify was just breaking out. After the 3yrs was up, I went 2 days with the free version and went back on the subscription plan.

It's def the only way I'll listen now.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Im surprised in todays day and age that people still buy CDs LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Tool added their entire discography to Spotify earlier this year.
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic dropped earlier this summer (huge in its own rights due to all those legal battles surrounding it)

Some of the long term hold outs on Spotify are coming around.

One thing no one has mentioned is Spotify also records and releases 'Spotify Single's' which are live studio versions of songs artists record and release exclusively on Spotify
    IE: The Lumineers cover "Have you ever seen the rain" (CCR)...

so exclusive content.

Not to mention. Again, I don't think it has been mentioned.

Spotify is also cornering the podcast market. They are massively investing into this - to the extent some of the largest podcasts going will only be streamable from Spotify. They are more than music

Case in point

Joe Rogan signed a $100m licensing deal with Spotify.

Not only that they're buying up other streaming companies. here's an article that talks about both:
    https://www.theverge.com/21265005/sp...t-media-ringer

Not only is spotify the way to go for music. it is becoming your one stop shop for podcasts - which is included in that price.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Joe Rogan signed a $100m licensing deal with Spotify.
    So Deezer is the clear winner for me.

Dobber Sports Ninja

There's really no discussion here as Spotify is the only viable solution now. They do a damn good job and the sub is worth every penny imo.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    There's really no discussion here as Spotify is the only viable solution now. They do a damn good job and the sub is worth every penny imo.
    If I don't mind the ads, is there much point in paying? I listen to Spotify regularly but the ads are not a big deal for me.

Banned

Spotify premium is your best option

Dobber Sports Ninja

Back when I was using the free version of Spotify you couldn't see songs in a playlist or select specific songs that you wanted to hear in a playlist - you could only just hit play and then let the playlist do its thing.

I went from downloading music when I was younger (i.e., 10 years ago) to just paying for Spotify premium. It's worth it to have all your music easily accessible. As someone mentioned above they also create daily mixes and you can select a "radio playlist" of similar sounding songs to a song that you may like. This has introduced me to a lot of songs i would have otherwise never heard before.

Highly recommend.

P.S. I will say that if you're into like EDM and DJ music, they will usually have the artist's base music but they may not have certain remixes, or mashups, etc. But i find their remix coverage is usually pretty decent.

I'm pretty sure they also don't have certain artists as well, i would look up that list and see if any of them are dealbreakers for you.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!