Thread: Heiskanen & Keeper dilemma

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Heiskanen & Keeper dilemma

Hello everyone - been a while since I've posted!

For league in signature; I recently traded Ryan Ellis ($6 to keep) for Miro Heiskanen ($11 to keep). I really like this trade as I wasn't keeping Ellis regardless, and snagged a young defensive stud who is tearing up the playoffs.

My pickle now is.. I own Karlsson @ $6 to keep, Makar @ $16 to keep, and Heisk @ $11 to keep -- need to choose 2. Although we don't give additional points to defense in the league, popularity and low cost especially with young players goes a long way; I myself am a huge fan of taking swings on younger players vs vets.

Who would you pick here? Is Heisk for real and will take his offensive burst into next season? Dobber still has him ranked fairly low, but its summer.

I'm leaning towards Makar/Heisk, which leaves me $204 to draft remaining team via auction. I could likely trade Karl for 2 waivers (add/drops in season.. we have 6 only, not counting injury replacement player grabs, so this would give me 8). At the worst, I would get 1 waiver or toss Karl back in for draft.

Appreciate your input.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Heiskanen & Keeper dilemma

Is Makar worth 2.6 times as much as Karlsson? Is Makar worth more than Pettersson?

I feel like there is a lot of cap tied up in Makar in comparison to the other players. The kid is good, yes... but is he worth only $5 less then MacKinnon?

If I were in your situation.... I would look at trading Marner and Makar ($42) for another stud forward... see if you can get a Pastrnak or Draisaitl or something with that package)

And then keep Heiskanen and Karlsson for $17 which is only one more dollar than it is required to keep Makar on his own.

Dobber Sports Titan

Karlsson seems like the best value of the three. How much does the cost go up on a player year after year?

I feel like you might be better off shopping Makar for an even bigger return if you league values youth, and then keep the better bargains in Heiskanen and Karlsson (that's assuming Makar gets priced out of keeper range in the next year or two anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree with PenguinHunter. I don't Makar netting you 2.5x times the value over a guy like Karlsson.

I hope that Heiskanen's playoffs carry over to the season for you. Not a terrible trade of Ellis but Ellis seems like a value Price given your cats. If you can move Marner and Makar for Draisaitl I would do that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is Makar worth 2.6 times as much as Karlsson? Is Makar worth more than Pettersson?

I feel like there is a lot of cap tied up in Makar in comparison to the other players. The kid is good, yes... but is he worth only $5 less then MacKinnon?

If I were in your situation.... I would look at trading Marner and Makar ($42) for another stud forward... see if you can get a Pastrnak or Draisaitl or something with that package)

And then keep Heiskanen and Karlsson for $17 which is only one more dollar than it is required to keep Makar on his own.

Marner is my fav player, hence keeping him albeit at a slightly higher cost. What's tricky in this league, is GMs love their keepers. Pasta, Drai, McD, Matthews .. none are available, even if you offered the sun and the moon.

In the offseason, most trades are for waivers, rarely in package deals for better players. I could probably move Makar for 2 waivers.

Re costs and comparing, its slightly tricky as kept players are $5 more each year, and we offer a rule where if you have $ left over at draft it can be used to bring a single players cost down. this is why Mack is lower, and why Karl is only $6.

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would also deal Makar. That leftover cash reduction rule rule is another reason to deal Makar away.

What salary are waiver players given?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It would be nice to be able to keep the young guns but I also agree, a CAP based compromise is indicated here. EK at 6 could turn out to be one of the better values in your league. Makar at 16 is just not worth it IMO. I like running with EK and Heiskanen (I truly believe Heiskanen is the real deal).
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the replies! I could likely gain 2 waivers for Makar - which gives 2 extra add/drop moves not tied to an injury. Upgrading F for a lower cost won't happen (just knowing my audience), but there's a chance I could upgrade Samsonov to Igor in net. Heisk/Karl as keepers would set me up for $86 keeper cost and $214 to draft (cheapest I have ever been!)

D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I would also deal Makar. That leftover cash reduction rule rule is another reason to deal Makar away.

What salary are waiver players given?
    Honestly, I always spend my full cap to get the best drafted team I can (i.e., I don't pass on a sure thing to save money later to bring a keeper cost down).

Undrafted waiver pickup players have a $1 salary ($6 to keep following year). I use my waivers effectively.. can normally snag some great pickups.

If I deal Makar, strong chance he never comes avail again.

D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    Honestly, I always spend my full cap to get the best drafted team I can (i.e., I don't pass on a sure thing to save money later to bring a keeper cost down).

Undrafted waiver pickup players have a $1 salary ($6 to keep following year). I use my waivers effectively.. can normally snag some great pickups.

If I deal Makar, strong chance he never comes avail again.
    I doubt that he won't be available at some point. in 4 years, he'd be $36, right? That seems like a lot. But $56 in 8 years is a whole lot. He'll be available after he gets too expensive, like all auction league keepers where there's a sizeable increase.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.