Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is gaudreau being traded to montreal?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Is gaudreau being traded to montreal?

The only way I'd see Montreal trading Romanov for Gaudreau would be in a much larger deal that would include one of Calgary's good young Dmen coming back with Gaudreau in some sort of monster trade. Montreal is not trading Romanov unless they get blown away.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The only way I'd see Montreal trading Romanov for Gaudreau would be in a much larger deal that would include one of Calgary's good young Dmen coming back with Gaudreau in some sort of monster trade. Montreal is not trading Romanov unless they get blown away.
    Correct. Same goes for Caufield. Both players are almost untradeable (almost because nobody is untradeable). Moving them puts a big hole in their pipeline in those areas of a sound top-4 D and a potential sniper.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    The prospect being mentioned in that rumor was Poehling. Personally, that's not a price I would pay.

The two are likely being linked because Montreal needs more scoring; has cap space and Calgary is getting pushed up against the cap with all the contracts that are coming due. But has Calgary actually had enough of Gaudreau is another question entirely.
    Just to clarify, which contracts are coming due? Calgary has ~$17M in cap space next season.

Dobber Sports Expert

Brodie, Hamonic, Kylington (RFA), Jankowski (RFA), Mangiapane (RFA) would be the important ones. Oh and a goalie as Talbot is UFA.

Plus all the depth players in Reider, Rinaldo, Forbort and Gustafsson. Calgary has $17 mill in cap space you're right, but they only have 13 pro contracts on the books at the moment.

Are all these guys going to be back? No. But they still need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Brodie, Hamonic, Kylington (RFA), Jankowski (RFA), Mangiapane (RFA) would be the important ones. Oh and a goalie as Talbot is UFA.

Plus all the depth players in Reider, Rinaldo, Forbort and Gustafsson. Calgary has $17 mill in cap space you're right, but they only have 13 pro contracts on the books at the moment.

Are all these guys going to be back? No. But they still need to be replaced.
    So the inference would be they're going to trade their best or second best player for cap space so they can re-sign fourth liners? Ok.

Jankowski, Forbort, and Gustafsson won't be re-signed.

Only one of Brodie/Hamonic will be resigned.

If Reider and Rinaldo are coming back it will be for PTO type contracts again.

Gaudreau ~might be traded. It is even reasonable to say Gaudreau will ~probably be traded. But it won't have anything to do with needing cap space.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I doubt it but I am just an armchair GM. That almost seems selling low and buying another guy who's low. That just doesn't make sense from Calgarys side.
    A very reputable armchair GM!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Calgary has traded #13s before to Montreal so who knows?
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So the inference would be they're going to trade their best or second best player for cap space so they can re-sign fourth liners? Ok.

Gaudreau ~might be traded. It is even reasonable to say Gaudreau will ~probably be traded. But it won't have anything to do with needing cap space.
    Nope was not my inference at all. You inferred that from my comments. All I was pointing out was why it was likely being brought up as a connection and Calgary's current situation.

I didn't make up the Gaudreau rumors.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Canadiens is the French spelling, Canadians is the English spelling.
    This is not true. Canadiens is the only acceptable spelling when talking about the Montreal Canadiens. People who live in Canada are Canadians while people who play for the NHL team in Montreal are Canadiens. No one says that the english spelling of the Toronto team is the Maple Leaves!

Back to the OP, I doubt Gaudreau ends up in Montreal. The Flames would likely be asking for a top prospect along with a 1st and Domi and I don't think Montreal has the depth to make that kind of deal.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    This is not true. Canadiens is the only acceptable spelling when talking about the Montreal Canadiens. People who live in Canada are Canadians while people who play for the NHL team in Montreal are Canadiens. No one says that the english spelling of the Toronto team is the Maple Leaves!

Back to the OP, I doubt Gaudreau ends up in Montreal. The Flames would likely be asking for a top prospect along with a 1st and Domi and I don't think Montreal has the depth to make that kind of deal.
    I think Montreal has the depth to make the trade. I dont think Bergevin has the balls to make it. He likes the small change trades but doesnt wade into the deep end too often.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

If only one of Brodie or Hamonic is resigned - who else plays D? Flames only have 3 D currently under contract for next year - Andersson, Hanafin, and Giordano. Hamonic OR Brodie makes 4. Need more than that to ice a team...and the $$ to pay them.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

I think Montreal has the depth to make the trade. I dont think Bergevin has the balls to make it. He likes the small change trades but doesnt wade into the deep end too often.
    What in GM MB's history makes you think he doesn't have the balls to make this trade? Subban for Weber is arguably one of the biggest if not the biggest trade of the cap era. Domi for Galchenyuk was up there too at the time. I think the Habs will wait for free agency and make a run at Hall first. He probably won't sign there because no one seems to want to and then they'll look at some trades. Gaudreau is a great player but the Habs need another undersized forward like they need another shitty backup goalie.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If only one of Brodie or Hamonic is resigned - who else plays D? Flames only have 3 D currently under contract for next year - Andersson, Hanafin, and Giordano. Hamonic OR Brodie makes 4. Need more than that to ice a team...and the $$ to pay them.
    Valimaki is 5, they aren't going to pay 2 more bottom pairing D top 4 money.

The Great One

Valimaki is 5, they aren't going to pay 2 more bottom pairing D top 4 money.
    So barring a trade, what does their cap space look like with the roster fleshed out?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    What in GM MB's history makes you think he doesn't have the balls to make this trade? Subban for Weber is arguably one of the biggest if not the biggest trade of the cap era. Domi for Galchenyuk was up there too at the time. I think the Habs will wait for free agency and make a run at Hall first. He probably won't sign there because no one seems to want to and then they'll look at some trades. Gaudreau is a great player but the Habs need another undersized forward like they need another shitty backup goalie.
    The Galchenyuk trade was nothing special as far as quality of players go. Both kids were disappointments so if you think that's a big trade, it's easy to tell you're a Habs fan. Not many other ones out there to find LOL.

He's been there what, seven years now and has one big trade to his resume? Ya, he's a big player