Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rank ‘me - Best Goalies to start a dynasty fantasy team

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Rank ‘me - Best Goalies to start a dynasty fantasy team

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    That you have been.
    I am interested to see if I am right or wrong as it could go either way! Hopefully I am right but not many people are in the same boat as I am on this one.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Carter Hart - young goalie on an up and coming team
    Igor Shesterkin - young goalie on an up and coming team
    Ilya Sorokin - AS long as he makes it there while Trotz and the current system are in place.
    John Gibson - young goalie and Anaheim has to get better sometime
    Jordan Binnington - Blues are still good... but could be on the downswing. Can they keep Pietrangelo
    Ilya Samsonov/Jusse Saros - These guys are getting the starting goalie gig at an inopportune time as they are teams I expect to see on the downswing.
    Blackwood - I just don't think New Jersey has the makeup to be competitive in the near future.
    Merzlinkins - Korpisalo is also young and in competition for the gig. so the battle is something I wanna avoid.
    Carter Hart - young goalie on an up and coming team - Agree
    Igor Shesterkin - young goalie on an up and coming team - Agree
    Ilya Sorokin / Varlamov - AS long as he makes it there while Trotz and the current system are in place. Move down a few slots / get both
    Jacob Markstrom - good goalie on a young upcoming team - he may sign as F/A some where if Vcr goes with Demko
    John Gibson - young goalie and Anaheim has to get better sometime - Agree
    Jordan Binnington - Blues are still good... but could be on the downswing. Can they keep Pietrangelo - Not as high on Binnington, may be product of system
    Ilya Samsonov/Jusse Saros - These guys are getting the starting goalie gig at an inopportune time as they are teams I expect to see on the downswing. Agree
    Blackwood - I just don't think New Jersey has the makeup to be competitive in the near future. - Think Jersey will improve in 2-3 years.
    Merzlinkins - Korpisalo is also young and in competition for the gig. so the battle is something I wanna avoid. - Agree - probably need to get both
    Francouz/Grubauer - might have to get both, great team.

All depends when you draft, need to get a decent goalie within first 2 rounds in a 32 team draft.

Depends when draft is, see who Edm or Chi go with if they chase free agents.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

OP references young goalies, so if we restrict ourselves to guys currently 25 and under, then,

Hart
    Shestyorkin
    Samsonov
    Sorokin
    Saros
    Jarry
    Blackwood

Dobber Sports Grand Master

From the OP with some additions. Nobody added is over 26.

Hellebuyck & Vasilevsky excluded as they are the tier above these guys for the OP:

Tier 1:
    Carter Hart - #1 on the list due to role certainty, established NHL play level, and age, he's the youngest guy on this list at 23.

Tier 2:
    Igor Shesterkin -24 Looks great, but not a lot of NHL track record. I believe, but he's not Hart level certain.
    Ilya Samsonov -23 Looks very good, but not a lot of NHL track record. I believe, but he's not Hart level certain.
    Tristan Jarry - 25 Will he be a Penguin or end up on a worse team? His better play puts him above Murray.
    John Gibson - 27 Oldest of your list, team is iffy, but NHL track record is the best here. He's a very good goalie, but on a bad team.
    Juuse Saros -25 Nashville now has an awful coach, and is likely on the decline. He's been good every year in the NHL.

Tier 2.5:
    Elvis Merzlinkins -26 and Joonas Korpisalo - 26 Call this a tandem entry. Great team system, no clue who wins the job, and both seem capable. I suspect one ends up in Seattle.

Tier 3:
    Alexandar Georgiev - 24 This guy is very underrated. Most track record of any of the recent Russian goalies, is young, and has played well.
    Matt Murray - 26 I think he won't be a Penguin, and that's where much of his value lies. High variance, he might be good or he might be putrid in a given week, month, year.
    Mackenzie Blackwood -23 Very young, played well for the Devils both of the past 2 years. Situation uncertain
    Ilya Sororkin - 25 Played well in Russia, total unknown for the NHL.

Tier 4:
    Cal Petersen - 26 Kings stink, Quick is there, but he has played well.
    Jordan Binnington - 27, just newish to the NHL last year was good enough and they won the Cup, this year not good at all.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Wow...thanks for all the feedback, it’s awesome!

1st - yes, I intentionally left out Vasilevsky and Hellebuyck as I feel they are the top 2 goalies in the league without question.

2nd - I was most interested in how the Hart/Shesterkin matchup unfolded...as much as I think Shesty is going to be the real deal, it was nice to see such a consensus for Hart over Shesty (I was leaning that way as well, so it’s nice to get that confirmation)

3rd - I was surprised by the lack of love for Binnington...trust me, I get it as he doesn’t have a large track record in any league for that matter, but how crazy of a roller coaster ride (highs and lows) it has been for him and fantasy GMs.

4th/lastly - I had a hard time evaluating the mid-tier for goalies (the likes of Gibson/Samsonov/Binnington/Saros/Blackwood/etc.) and there is quite the range for all responders. This just shows me that it may be worth while aiming for the upper tier goalies for more of a sure thing rather than middling in the middle tiers.

Rep’d where I could and appreciate the thoughts and insight...if anyone has anything else to add, I would love to get it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Igor Shesterkin
    Ilya Sororkin
    Carter Hart
    Ilya Samsonov
    Elvis Merzlinkins
    Juuse Saros
    Jordan Binnington
    John Gibson
    Mackenzie Blackwood

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.