Thread: D Trade

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default D Trade

Thinking about something along the lines of trading Parayko (28fp/g, #42 Dman in league) for H. Jokiharju (14fp/g, #127 Dman in league).
    I am in win now mode and this would certainly be a step back for the next 2 years, however it also is $4.5mln in cap savings that can certainly be put to use.
    I am at the cap and was looking forward to the annual increase that now obviously isn't coming and I'm going to have to make some tough choices.
    Question: in 2 years is their fantasy production going to be similar? I just haven't followed Joki closely enough ...
    Thanks tons.
    31 team permanent keeper. 12F, 6D, +1 Skater, 2G, 5 Reserve, 8 Prospects (744 skaters, 62 goalies, 248 prospects)
    Goalie - 20 W, 2.5 save, -15 GA, 15 SO
    Skater - 25 point, 2 PIM, 1 Hit, 2 Block, +/- 10, TOI 0.2/min, Special team points +5, Fight 5
    Strict NHL salary cap & floor

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: D Trade

Hard to imagine I’d do that in a “win now” effort. First, if Pietrangelo leaves the Blues, Parayko will benefit especially with your categories. Don’t know what other options you have (roster??) but I think this move is BAD.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a few points to cover here.
    First, have you shopped Parayko to the league? 1B, is Joki the best you can do? Because it seems like you should be able to do much better. 1C, there are a lot of upside prospects I would try to acquire, but Joki just doesn't interest me.
    Second point, what could you do with the 4.5M in cap space? Could it be put towards a better player than Parayko if you flipped Joki? Or is it going to cost you too much/not actually be an upgrade?
    Three, are there other options to sell to gain cap space that get you a better return/don't hurt your win-now effort as much?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

I don't see the point of doing this in a win now mode. Too often, deals like this are made in cap leagues in a pinch because you're only looking at the dollar figure that being saved. That 4.5MM in cap space needs to utilized at greater than 14 fpts/gm in order to break-even on the trade. You're likely better off packaging a roster player with Parayko to upgrade, than doing a cap saving deal with Parayko for Joki and trying to upgrade in deal #2.

Without any secondary plan, there is no benefit to moving Parayko here. The return is too low and your chasing the fantasy production in another deal putting you behind the 8-ball.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Without any secondary plan, there is no benefit to moving Parayko here. The return is too low and your chasing the fantasy production in another deal putting you behind the 8-ball.
    This sums it up. Just getting the cap savings to have the cap savings is of no use. If there is a player you can sign for 4.5 that you know you can get that makes up more of the difference, then you are golden... but if not... then that 4.5 cap savings might just put you out of competition for the year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    This sums it up. Just getting the cap savings to have the cap savings is of no use. If there is a player you can sign for 4.5 that you know you can get that makes up more of the difference, then you are golden... but if not... then that 4.5 cap savings might just put you out of competition for the year.
    If you can sign a player for 4.5MM after this trade, then he needs to be much better than 14 fpts/g because you're going to have to drop/cut/trade another player to make room for the new sign (most likely). So that player's salary and point production also become a factor. It's a domino effect of salary and point production but to sum it up; it is unlikely that player is available in the FA pool.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

perfect and thanks all.
    31 team permanent keeper. 12F, 6D, +1 Skater, 2G, 5 Reserve, 8 Prospects (744 skaters, 62 goalies, 248 prospects)
    Goalie - 20 W, 2.5 save, -15 GA, 15 SO
    Skater - 25 point, 2 PIM, 1 Hit, 2 Block, +/- 10, TOI 0.2/min, Special team points +5, Fight 5
    Strict NHL salary cap & floor

Dobber Sports Icon

I would not move Parayko for Jokiharju. There should be a better move that you can make if you need to cut salary.