Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Logan Couture Punched for Saying he would vote Republican

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Logan Couture Punched for Saying he would vote Republican

Yawn politics. Is there anything more fundamentally flawed than our political system?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Yawn politics. Is there anything more fundamentally flawed than our political system?
    The NHL draft lottery system? The Oilers/Maple Leafs?
    The thinking that pineapple doesn't go on pizza?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Pineapple on Pizza is affront to all that is good and decent and delicious.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Pineapple definitely doesn't belong on pizza. It's wrong and you should feel bad for having such thoughts.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Haha, love the ivory igloo reference! This spectator (with spicy popcorn!) wasn't really trying to tell you Americans how to behave, I was simply trying to point out that violence begets violence and that the best way to "win over" peoples opinions is with words and positive interactions, not violence. I really hope that after all the votes are counted in November, that there can be some semblance of peace down south.
    I appreciate you Comish. You are one of my favorite guys around here. And I want to say I am not singling you out. Rather, I have been staying quiet for a while now but seeing a lot of non-Americans (I love the foreign) have been commenting about our situation. Its your right. But you need to know that its way past manners and decency. Its a Cold Civil War. This country is a powder keg inside an ammo dump wrapped in a few thousand tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer. Trump is tossing live grenades into it wondering what will happen. Trump has buried 180K people without batting an eye. Guess how many he will bury to hold on to power? I think we are going to find out.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    "If anyone disagrees with my world view- you get physically harmed"

Wondering why so many people "against facism" promote violence. Could it be....

.....projection?
    Nearly everyone aside from pure pacifists agree there is a time when violence is needed and required. You're seeing more and more people getting to that point in the USA and I cant say I blame them. I just hope not too many people die. So many good Americans out there.

Dobber Sports Initiate

The problem with violence in the US compare to most develop country is that there is a SHIT ton of guns
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont have a problem with it at all.
    Many people who voted GOP in 2016 were gullible rubes who get fleeced every day at church, work, etc.
    This time is different. Everyone knows Trump is a fascist and his party is a cult. If you vote for Trump now you are also a fascist. I can think of many more vicious and suitable punishments for fascists. In a short while a punch in the face will be the least of their worries.
    I disagree with much of this, and I'd wager I've hated Trump longer than anyone on this board. Since that started in 1983, it's gonna take some doing to beat. In short, he was the Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys owner) of the USFL, without the winning.

1. Trump isn't a full blown fascist, he's a Trumpist. He's all about popularity & power, but he has no real political ideals regarding getting an entire nation ready for actual war. However, given the party he's currently allied with (he's unsurprisingly been both) that's what makes sense. As far as the cult of popularity, absolutely.

2. I have a big problem with assaulting someone for whom they choose to vote for. Once you fail to have the freedom to choose whom you vote for, there is a huge problem, which actually leads down the road to a totalitarian one-party state, one of the flavors of which is fascism.

3. The origins of the political parties as cults predates Trump. The Republicans go back to at least the Moral Majority movement. We really started to see this divide ramp up in the 1990's.

If voting for a member of any single poilitical party got me punched, the entire population of the US who would care to do so could punch me. I vote for members of 3+ parties in general elections, normally. My personal record is 5 + one independent.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Nearly everyone aside from pure pacifists agree there is a time when violence is needed and required. You're seeing more and more people getting to that point in the USA and I cant say I blame them. I just hope not too many people die. So many good Americans out there.
    Absolutely agree that there comes a time when violence is needed. I just can't help but feel that the American public is being manipulated for political purposes. Right now, more than ever, true leadership is needed and that has truly been lacking in American politics (don't get me started on Canadian politicians!).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Pineapple definitely doesn't belong on pizza. It's wrong and you should feel bad for having such thoughts.
    Amen... Pineapple on pizza and the political systems... they are the same level of wrong... and its the peak of the mountain.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Would again just like to point out that we have not been provided any evidence that a punch occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Would again just like to point out that we have not been provided any evidence that a punch occurred.
    Is the onus on us to prove that? Or are we just hear to discuss it?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Well. We’re discussing it like it’s a thing that happened. It seems pretty topical to discuss whether or not it actually happened, since we haven’t seen any evidence of the damage, no arrests or charges have been filed, and Couture seemingly walked back whether it happened.

“So I just deserve to get punched if someone disagrees with my politics?” Well, no, but from all appearances that didn’t happen here so we don’t really need to pretend it did. At this point, an arrest would have been made if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well. We’re discussing it like it’s a thing that happened. It seems pretty topical to discuss whether or not it actually happened, since we haven’t seen any evidence of the damage, no arrests or charges have been filed, and Couture seemingly walked back whether it happened.

“So I just deserve to get punched if someone disagrees with my politics?” Well, no, but from all appearances that didn’t happen here so we don’t really need to pretend it did. At this point, an arrest would have been made if it did.
    My understanding was that he walked back what he said about it... I did not think he had walked back whether it happened.

While I did not do a good job of communicating my thoughts earlier today, I do believe that everyone is entitled to their own voice and opinions," Couture wrote in a lengthy message posted on his Twitter account Wednesday. "But regardless of what anyone believes -- and to be clear, I do not believe in supporting Donald Trump -- responding with violence isn't the answer and doesn't solve anything.
    "I regret the decision to make this incident public. I apologize to the Sharks, as well as my family for having to deal with this. I hold myself to a high standard, and I apologize for any of my comments that were poorly worded and do not reflect my true feelings or beliefs. I appreciate those who have reached out to me with their concern."
    And you are right, there likely would have been a report or arrest, unless he decided not to press charges because he didn't want any further publicity from it. Or maybe he realized it takes two to tango and that he was just as much in the wrong as the other guy that potentially punched him.

I thought what he walking back was his comments to Sportsnet and his comments about talking politics resulting in violence. His tweet that is him apologizing mentions 'that violence isn't the answer and doesn't solve anything' which is what lead me to think that something did actually happen.

​​

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I disagree with much of this, and I'd wager I've hated Trump longer than anyone on this board. Since that started in 1983, it's gonna take some doing to beat. In short, he was the Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys owner) of the USFL, without the winning.

1. Trump isn't a full blown fascist, he's a Trumpist. He's all about popularity & power, but he has no real political ideals regarding getting an entire nation ready for actual war. However, given the party he's currently allied with (he's unsurprisingly been both) that's what makes sense. As far as the cult of popularity, absolutely.

2. I have a big problem with assaulting someone for whom they choose to vote for. Once you fail to have the freedom to choose whom you vote for, there is a huge problem, which actually leads down the road to a totalitarian one-party state, one of the flavors of which is fascism.

3. The origins of the political parties as cults predates Trump. The Republicans go back to at least the Moral Majority movement. We really started to see this divide ramp up in the 1990's.

If voting for a member of any single poilitical party got me punched, the entire population of the US who would care to do so could punch me. I vote for members of 3+ parties in general elections, normally. My personal record is 5 + one independent.
    Steve I appreciate your points. But we are dealing with something very abnormal. A once in a lifetime confluence of events that resembles the 1930s more each day. Homeless and jobless everywhere. Clashes in the streets between police and paramilitaries on one side and mostly centrist peaceful protestors on the other. The Q is the new swastika. The red MAGA hat is the new brown shirt. Fascists dont respect civil disobedience or non-violent movements. Fascists cling on to power despite all efforts to extract them, violent and otherwise. Trump styles himself to be a Franco or Pinochet (or Putin), half-joking about a lifetime term.
    Many years ago when I was only 17, I swore the oath to support protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. It doesnt matter that I havent been in the Marine Corps for two decades. The Corps' motto is Semper Fidelis. Its Latin and it means "Always Faithful." ALWAYS. Faithful to what? The Constitution. The freedom and national security of the people. Fascism is where I draw a big fat line in the sand.
    It has to be stopped here. This election is American democracy's last ditch.
    I wish I was being theatrical and overexaggerating. But I'm not. And I am not alone. There is a reason why its hard to buy an AR in the USA now. Supplies of firearms and ammo in the marketplace are slim to none. Civilian purchases of weaponry are at a stratospheric all-time high. The opposing camps are arming themselves. Reminds me of the first scene from Gangs of New York but with 21st Century firepower. Remember the second scene?