Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Teams Boycott / NBA Postpones games

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NBA Teams Boycott / NBA Postpones games

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    It's sports, not politics. We now live in a world where you can get punched in the face for your political view, and be the one who has to apologize.

Crazy times.
    This is more so humanity than politics.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    This is more so humanity than politics.
    It becomes political when they are trying to get those with power to make humanitarian changes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Lakers and Clippers vote to cancel entire season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    They must be receiving lots of support for boyotting games today.

I wonder where the see this going with cancelling the entire season?

I understand what the desired result is... but I am wondering how it goes from cancelling the season to the desired result.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    But are the players willing to take that stance, financially?
    I think the NBA players are. They are rich enough and this cause impacts them much more viscerally and directly than more white-bread organizations like the NHL, PGA, MLB, NASCAR, etc.

From a business perspective, I think it would be a smart move by the NBA. They would gain huge respect globally, and in the long run, the lost profits from a cancelled playoffs could potentially pale in comparison to the worldwide attention, support and new fans they would gain for being THE organization that led the movement. All the other leagues (who would then be forced to follow or get eviscerated in the media for not supporting) would look like copy cats. The NBA brand would strengthen considerably - imagine the expansion of the fan base both from a geographic and demographic standpoint.

If social unrest among the players continues to escalate at the current rate, a cancelled season may be inevitable, in which case use it to your advantage and be the organization who had the courage to forgo (short term) profits in order to initiate the movement as opposed to being the copy cat who had to capitulate under public pressure.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    It's sports, not politics. We now live in a world where you can get punched in the face for your political view, and be the one who has to apologize.

Crazy times.
    Sports and politics have always been intertwined, it’s amazing it can be 2020 and there are people that still don’t know that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Local and national government officials have made it abundantly clear this is false.

Sports is an important part of American life and Americans feeling "normal". Sports playing absolutely matters.
    Well I am glad my local and national government officials have spoken for me and other Americans. I can feel "normal" without sports just fine. I think there are other priorities for feeling "normal".
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

I like Chara’s post game response.

there are multiple ways to support a cause.

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sports is part of the cultural fabric of being American. Things like collegiate sports, church and Sunday Night Football - these are all very powerful forces that shape American life and public perceptions.

The reason why politicians are pushing for sports (and bars) is they want Americans to feel safe again. Part of feeling safe is re-establishing a sense of normalcy within Americans daily lives - bring back the things they're used to, the things that bring them comfort. The more safe and "normal" things feel, the less pressure there is on politicians like Trump to address more pressing issues like Covid and Inequality.

In the basest sense, it is a politically driven diversion strategy centered around shaping perceptions in advance of November. "Hey look, malls are open, sports are thriving, people are back to work - it's all good! No crisis here, I'm doing an amazing job!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    Well I am glad my local and national government officials have spoken for me and other Americans. I can feel "normal" without sports just fine. I think there are other priorities for feeling "normal".
    I mean congratulations on getting triggered by this but politicians indicated their stances. I don’t recall in this thread or in any other thread indicating that a governments actions were an accurate representation of the feelings of each of their constituents. You, an individual, can feel however you want, but that personal feeling has no bearing on my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Sports is part of the cultural fabric of being American. Things like collegiate sports, church and Sunday Night Football - these are all very powerful forces that shape American life and external perceptions.

The reason why politicians are pushing for sports is they want Americans to feel safe again. Part of feeling safe is re-establishing a sense of normalcy within Americans daily lives. The more safe and "normal" things feel, the less pressure there is on politicians like Trump to address more pressing issues like Covid and Inequality.

In the basest sense, it is a politically driven diversion strategy centered around shaping perceptions in advance of November. "Hey look, malls are open, sports are thriving, people are back to work - it's all good! No crisis here, I'm doing an amazing job!"
    Yes. Individual outrage doesn’t change generalized statements.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean congratulations on getting triggered by this but politicians indicated their stances. I don’t recall in this thread or in any other thread indicating that a governments actions were an accurate representation of the feelings of each of their constituents. You, an individual, can feel however you want, but that personal feeling has no bearing on my statement.
    well thank you , I didn't expect to get congrats in a thread just yet as I haven't even reached 1000 posts!!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    well thank you , I didn't expect to get congrats in a thread just yet as I haven't even reached 1000 posts!!

​​

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    All of the other teams voted to finish the playoffs.

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Lebron knows his power.

He walked out apparently right when the meeting ended in frustration. He knows he has power and is trying to use it. He's already got a partnership with the LADodgers to set up the field as a voting facility in November (or whenever the election is). I think the steps Lebron wants to take first is centered around voting. Get team owners to donate to set up more facilities to vote in like the LADodgers arena.

This 11am meeting should be interest what unfolds.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll