Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Teams Boycott / NBA Postpones games

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: NBA Teams Boycott / NBA Postpones games

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean. Governers and colleges doing everything in their power to try and force college football back in the fall. Trump holding calls with commissioners of sports leagues to try and get them to restart their leagues. Cities and states lobbying the NHL and NBA to choose them as their bubble locations. Canada waiving their quarantine requirements for the NHL. Those are all actions that made it very clear sports matter to politicians.
    Do you really think they want them back playing because they believe that sports matters or money matters?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Do you really think they want them back playing because they believe that sports matters or money matters?
    Because money. And by teams refusing to play, it puts pressure on the owners, advertiser's, networks, etc. The guys who control the money.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would love to see the NBA just cancel the whole season.

If anyone's got the balls to do it, it's them.... and once they do it, all the other leagues will have no choice but to follow.

Hit them where it hurts... their wallets. These symbolic gestures like kneeling and messages on jerseys are cute, but at the end of the day those things aren't doing shit in terms of real world impact.

Dobber Sports Sage

I support what they are doing but I really wonder if it's going to make a difference.
    It won't. The number of people that I have read today that are basically blaming the victim is astounding. I keep reading "if he only followed directions".... I used to say that racism wasn't that big of a problem in the US and that African Americans exaggerated and saw racism where it wasn't. I don't say that anymore.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I would love to see the NBA just cancel the whole season.

If anyone's got the balls to do it, it's them.... and once they do it, all the other leagues will have no choice but to follow.

Hit them where it hurts... their wallets. These symbolic gestures like kneeling and messages on jerseys are cute, but at the end of the day those things aren't doing shit in terms of real world impact.
    But are the players willing to take that stance, financially?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

So what happens when all major sports leagues decide to cancel their games/entire seasons and police continue to kill people.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    So what happens when all major sports leagues decide to cancel their games/entire seasons and police continue to kill people.
    When all major sports leagues are cancelled, their billionaire owners, corporate execs and others with a financial stake will finally bitch to politicians who are in a position to affect change with the cops.

Not saying this will happen overnight, but it's a start to get the engine of change going.

Administrator

I am but I'm also realistic. Sure you can say the pressure helped change the Washington teams name change, but you're battling a different beast by tackling the police force and the American government. They don't really care if teams are playing sports or not.

As I say, I hope this works.
    What do we mean by "works"? Because it's a boat that isn't turning on a dime. The point is to keep the conversation going and here we are.

So yeah, I think it's working. Good on the NBA players for standing up against police violence and systemic racism. It's a worthy cause and they are using their platform to promote it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Very real chance the NBA decides to shutdown and take up the protest, not sure what that would look like. But there are plenty of smart, influential people working within that association at all levels that may just feel that their time and efforts can be better spent on fighting for this cause in a more direct manner.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I mean. You’d have to take a realistic look at the driver. Professional sports don’t drive money for the President, so that’s 100% sports. Same for Governors/College Football. College administrators obviously care about the money.

But the real answer is it doesn’t matter. Sports are money. Sports will always be money. If they care about money, they care about sports. It’s one and the same.

Dobber Sports Initiate

NHL should be ashamed tbh. It was the time for the players, the owners and the whole organization to take a stand.
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    NHL should be ashamed tbh. It was the time for the players, the owners and the whole organization to take a stand.
    NHL has always been the last to the table on issues of social justice. It's the whitest league of the major pro sports leagues so it makes sense. They are an embarrassment... A true relic in these evolving times.

Even Kane and Dumba publicly said today they are embarrassed at the NHLs lack of response to Jacob Blake. Just look around... After the Bucks protest every single league had postponed games - MLB, MLS... everyone except the NHL which is still carrying on business as usual with their games tonight.

Bettman should be shining Adam Silver's shoes. Now there's a true leader.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I don't like how the narrative of this is going to look for the NHL.

Just because the NHL didn't make a rush decision and copy the NBA
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's sports, not politics. We now live in a world where you can get punched in the face for your political view, and be the one who has to apologize.

Crazy times.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What about the MLB teams that didn't decide to boycott.... like the Yankees?