Thread: Valimaki or Sandin?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Valimaki or Sandin?

In a roto league (g, a, +/-, pims, ppg, ppa) which player would you rather have for the next 2-3 years?

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about Valimaki but I like his situation without anyone amazing ahead of him and his being a year further ahead than Sandin, although it seems like he's lost significant development time on IR. Are we thinking he has a chance to be the PP QB next year? Maybe the year after? Or do we need to see more after such a long injury to see if he still has big upside?

Sandin I watched a few times, mostly when Rielly was out and he looked pretty good. I assume though that he will never be anything too significant with Rielly there taking the PP1 spot. Maybe 35-45 for the next few years with the only chance for higher being another Rielly injury?

Any insight on which of these two defenders you'd prefer to hold going into next season would be great.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Valimaki or Sandin?

I'll go with Valimaki. I just think he has more fantasy scoring ability than Sandin and his situation is better for him to assert a scoring role. I don't think that Valimaki will be seizing PP1 next year, either Gustafsson could do it if resigned or Giordano will handle that.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Valimaki is stuck behind other options just like Sandin. Calgary traded for Gustaffson and I think he is manning the top PP unit.

I guess there is more possibility of Valimaki taking the time away from Gustafsson then Sandin taking time away from Rielly.

But I think in this situation you should pick the guy that hasn't been injured and that you have watched play.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Vali has a more clear (clearer?) path to playing time in the foreseeable future. Things are up in the air with Calgary and the bodies they are moving, while Toronto’s main job this offseason will likely be bringing defensemen.
    8 Team Dynasty - G/A/plusminus/PPP/SHP/SOG/FW/HIT/BLK ——
    W/SV%/SV/SO
    C: A. Matthews, E Pettersson, V Trocheck, A Kopitar, C Mittelstadt,
    LW: B Marchand, B Tkachuk, K Kaprizov, J Huberdeau, V Nichushkin, E Kane, J McCann
    RW: D Pastrnak, W Nylander, JT Miller, T Meier, Z Hyman, R Hartman
    D: Q Hughes, B Burns, D Nurse, M Matheson, K Letang, B McNabb
    G: D Kuemper, V Vanecek, J Woll
    IR: L Couture, L Schenn
    NA: P Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I think Valimaki is stuck behind other options just like Sandin. Calgary traded for Gustaffson and I think he is manning the top PP unit.

I guess there is more possibility of Valimaki taking the time away from Gustafsson then Sandin taking time away from Rielly.

But I think in this situation you should pick the guy that hasn't been injured and that you have watched play.
    Have there been reports on Gustafsson re-signing with Calgary though? After another playoff flop I wonder if the Flames look a lot different next year.

I can't speak for Valimaki, but I can for Sandin. I doubt he carves out a big offensive role next year. I think the Leafs are going to reshape their blueline once again, and Sandin may be still be a year or two away from being a regular NHLer.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

I think Sandin has the better numbers next year, but Valimaki has the higher upside.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Valimaki for upside, and likelihood to be startable in years 2-3. Next year is a crapshoot for me.

Reilly is a bigger obstacle to Sandin than the entire rest of the Flames D corps is to Valimaki for PP1 duties, and it's not close.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Haven't seen alot of Valimaki, but I think Sandin is 100% in the leafs plans next year. Somewhere in the 4-6 spot and most likely 2nd unit PP (unless the leafs sign Pietro). He's a very talented player....not saying I'd take him over Valimaki (again I'mnot familiar enough with him to comment), but Sandin will play next year, even with a remodeled blue line.

The injury situation is a factor for Valimaki too.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think Sandin has the better numbers next year, but Valimaki has the higher upside.
    I agree with this. Valimaki has to stay healthy too, which hasn't always been easy for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Valimaki and it’s not close. He will be in the top 4 for calgary next year with a shot at running the power play. With ppg and ppa as categories in your league this is a huge advantage toward valimaki. They most likely don’t re-sign Gustafsson. They preferred to keep gio off the top pp to save him for the heavy minutes. Top 4 next year could look like gio, andersson, hanifin, valimaki. Bring in a defensive guy to play with kylington to round out the d corps. As others have mentioned valimaki’s ceiling is higher, but I am more bullish on how quickly he’ll begin to realize that potential. I’ll chalk the injuries up to bad luck for now. He likely could have played in the playoffs, but had he, the flames would have had to protect him in the expansion draft.