Thread: Cal Petersen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Cal Petersen

I missed the boat in my league on all the young russian super goalies (samsonov, shesterkin, sorokin) but I did manage to grab Cal Petersen.

Anyone watched any of his games or know what kind of goalie he projects to become? The kings have a phenomenal prospect pool and look to be a potential force in 2-3 years so I like his situation but I don't know much about his individual talent level and whether he projects to be an average, above average, elite , or if we still don't know much yet and he could easily be a bust.

Thanks for any insight.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Cal Petersen

We haven't seen him get a whole season yet, but from his 2 partial seasons in the NHL, I'm willing to say that the bust risk is pretty low, his numbers and what little I've seen have me pegging him as a NHL quality goalie. Where he is on the good-average starter-tandem-backup scale is unknown, but I think it's likely he's their best goalie right now.

His SV%, QS%, GSAA are all good or better. There's some weirdness in this years SV% by situation, but 8 games is a tiny sample size.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't think he's as far beneath the three goalies you mentioned as you may think he is. He has decent size and catches right which can throw players off but I think his strengths are his cool-under-fire composure and solid positional play. I'd say he has a good opportunity to become an above average 1A in LA but if the Kings can develop a tight defensive system (like Columbus now) that limits high-danger scoring chances and keeps shot-attempts to the peripheries he could put up elite numbers.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think your league has it right that he's not in that Russian super tier, but he should be a solid goalie. Could be above league average in a few seasons if the team in front of him develops properly too. For now, he's a good backup.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank you guys. I feel more excited about him after your comments.

Dobber Sports Monster

The Kings are pretty high on him and you could see him get anywhere from 30-45 games this year depending on how he develops and Quick's health. He is a solid goalie who should have a good NHL career, I'm not sure if he's a stud #1 but he can be a decent starter, and maybe sooner than we think. He's the reason the Kings were willing to trade Campbell, who was beloved in the room and played well for them.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    I missed the boat in my league on all the young russian super goalies (samsonov, shesterkin, sorokin) but I did manage to grab Cal Petersen.

Anyone watched any of his games or know what kind of goalie he projects to become? The kings have a phenomenal prospect pool and look to be a potential force in 2-3 years so I like his situation but I don't know much about his individual talent level and whether he projects to be an average, above average, elite , or if we still don't know much yet and he could easily be a bust.

Thanks for any insight.
    Its funny I was considering trading him for Sorokin but I would have had to add suzuki. The big thing for me is that I kept second guessing his team. The thing is that pipeline isnt like say Anaheim where theres no hope on the horizon. Many pundits have LA as their top propsect spot. He could get 30-40 starts this year and be a solid goalie on a pretty strong team inside of two-three years- thats not too shabby!

Dobber Sports Ace

If he can prove that he is an NHL calibre starting goalie, that LA team will be a great one to be playing for in a three years' time. He doesn't have the pedigree or hype of someone like Shesterkin, but Petersen's situation with LA's rebuild is very similar to what Shesterkin's was with NY three years ago. Yes, Petersen will be older by the time LA is ready to start playing meaningful hockey again, but it's still a situation that I want a piece of. I'd be more than happy to be stashing Petersen on my farm, given the opportunity.

The Great One

For me one thing thats huge for goalies is their mental game/composure and by all accounts he sounds unflappable even when losing or having rough starts. By all accounts hes been patient with the team about getting his shot. The more I read the more I think he can surprise! Dont want to get too carried away but Im feeling good about this ki... young man!

Dobber Sports Veteran

There is more chance he finish as a backup, than the top 3 Russian...Evaluating Goalie is not an exact science, but when we talk about top one's it's harder to miss the target...
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

The Great One

Just browsing this morning and I came accross this and thought of this thread:

Cal Petersen is the goalie of the Kings’ future. In 2019-20, he posted a .922 SV% and a 2.64 goals-against average (GAA) behind a very thin defense. Comparatively, Jonathan Quick put up a .904 SV% and a 2.79 GAA. According to Moneypuck.com Petersen’s 1.302 SV% above expected is the best among NHL goalies with at least 8 games played in 2019-20. His NHL sample size is small, but everything he’s done points towards him being a star. He was also fantastic for Notre Dame in NCAA play. Unless his career is derailed by injuries — knock on wood — he will be the new top goalkeeper in L.A.
    Source: https://thehockeywriters.com/la-king...up-prediction/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hi,

Im a Kings fan and a Petersen owner.

He has a clear path to #1 Goalie and it could happen soon if Quick gets shaky (again) and he plays well (again). The only thing in the way is Quick's contract which will likely make it a 1A/B for now. Even when they have been bad, the Kings system is pretty good for goalie stats so its not a bad place to be. His AHL stats are OK but his play was excellent and the stats were more a reflection of the team.

I would say he projects to be an above average goalie who should be in his prime as LA becomes a contender again in 2-3 years time off the back of a lot of young talent coming through.

I'd hold him. I will likely run with him as my 2/3 goalie this season and take the strong GAA and Save%

Dobber Sports Master

Quick has 3 years left @ 5.8 and kings have enough cap room to have him mentor the kid for those 3 years .

Petersen , 853k for 2 years .

time will tell who gets more playing time after the upcoming likely condensed 20-21 season that might have many b2bs