Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marner vs Dahlin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Marner vs Dahlin

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Next year Dahlin is the best option but once that ELC is gone, so is his sweet value to you. At that point, what's the odds you could acquire Marner for him? That's what I'd be thinking and I'm betting Marner looks a whole lot better at that point.

If you can afford Marner short term, he's who I want.
    My position as well.

Note - Marner has a 94pt season, was on pace for 93

The only way this works in my mind is if your pool gives a big D point bonus.
    If you're league uses hits/blocks - then Dahlin's value as a Dman becomes limited

Dahlin was on pace for 55pts over 82gp. last year.

if he repeats that pace at 20 years old or betters it. I would expect him to get the biggest 2nd contract for a D we've seen in the cap era.

7m is dreaming for poolies in cap leagues. If he puts up 55+pt pace next year - I think 9+m for 6-8 years is the offer buffalo presents.

I think a bit more info on your league settings is required before anyone can say definitively.

For me... I'm in the keep Marner camp based on current info. If you're inclined to do the deal. than take a value 'bad' contract back.
    IE: Duchene (if you count FOW), Pavelski (if you think he'll bounce back), same with kessel
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I ended up getting Dahlin and Binnington for Marner and Markstrom. I'm pretty happy about it! Thanks everyone I'll rep' the rest of you tommorow

Dobber Sports Icon

Ouch. Dahlin straight up would have been a much better deal for you. Binnington is a big downgrade on Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Ouch. Dahlin straight up would have been a much better deal for you. Binnington is a big downgrade on Markstrom.
    Is it really though?

Binnington played 50 games last year vs Markstrom 43. Even though he's playing poorly right now I still think he's the n.1 next year. He's also paid 4.4m next year while Markstrom will have a massive salary raise.

And then there's the Seattle goalie situation. Demko and Dipietro. I'm surprised to read this I thought Binnington was the consensus here.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think both guys should be #1 goalies next year, and likely on their current team.

Worrying about Seattle is kind of rough as there are at least 4 or 5 teams where you hear Seattle ramifications for goalies discussed heavily, and Seattle is only one team coming in, and they will draft 3 G, 9 D, 14 F, plus 4 at any position from the non-Vegas teams. They will likely end up with over 30 players after trades, but some of those are certainly going to be prospects and not NHL roster players year 1.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Overated Veteran View Post
    Is it really though?

Binnington played 50 games last year vs Markstrom 43. Even though he's playing poorly right now I still think he's the n.1 next year. He's also paid 4.4m next year while Markstrom will have a massive salary raise.

And then there's the Seattle goalie situation. Demko and Dipietro. I'm surprised to read this I thought Binnington was the consensus here.
    I am not a Binnington believer. I think Allen's a better goalie than him. Allen and Binnington have almost identical contracts with 1 year remaining at around $4.4M. One of them is likely to get traded and the Blues will get much more for Stanley Cup winner Jordan Binnington then they will for Jake Allen. If Binnington gets dealt, it will likely be to a team that is worse defensively than the Blues and his numbers are going to show that.

I think Markstrom is going to play a lot more games than Binnington next season. I also think Markstrom is a much better goalie than Binnington.