Thread: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Vasilevskiy

I have Vasilevsky under contract in my auction dynasty league for another 4 seasons at $4.5m (cap $60m).

I am a contender in this league but looking ahead, how long do I hold Vas before I look at trading him for maximum value? 2 more seasons maybe so at least the team acquiring him has 2 more seasons (minimum) of him?

Or, as a contender, do I ride him for the full 4 seasons hoping for a championship, at the risk of losing him as a free agency after that?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Vasilevskiy

Included my roster and league settings in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by MCARTER82 View Post
    I have Vasilevsky under contract in my auction dynasty league for another 4 seasons at $4.5m (cap $60m).

I am a contender in this league but looking ahead, how long do I hold Vas before I look at trading him for maximum value? 2 more seasons maybe so at least the team acquiring him has 2 more seasons (minimum) of him?

Or, as a contender, do I ride him for the full 4 seasons hoping for a championship, at the risk of losing him as a free agency after that?
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Star

If you're anywhere near contending and Vasilevskiy is at fair market value, you have to keep him. It's always tempting in dynasty to maximize value with long-term thinking, but with cornerstones, I think you need to ride him until its clear it isn't going to happen for you.

Dobber Sports Superstar

If you are contending, I agree you ride Vas. The only buyers of an expiring contract is contenders, so if in 4 years you not contending you will be able to move him.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

How long do you plan to contend? Assuming the answer is "In perpetuity", then you keep him until you get an offer you can't refuse, or he's no longer worth that cost.

There's no scoring for trading players at the ideal time for maximum value, so don't worry about trying to deal someone at a peak value. You may find that you sold an asset at maximum value, you also acquired assets in exchange that worth what you gave up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering Vasilevskiy has years ahead of him in being a legit Vezina candidate, I wouldn't even consider moving him while he's cheap. You say you have him for four more years at $4.5M. I'd say I wouldn't even worry about it for four more years.

Sit back and not worry about your goaltending for those four years. Start to think about it once his current contract expires.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

There's no point in trading Vasilevski while you are trying to win a championship. Keep him and enjoy the ride.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    How long do you plan to contend? Assuming the answer is "In perpetuity", then you keep him until you get an offer you can't refuse, or he's no longer worth that cost.

There's no scoring for trading players at the ideal time for maximum value, so don't worry about trying to deal someone at a peak value. You may find that you sold an asset at maximum value, you also acquired assets in exchange that worth what you gave up.
    I think for at least the next 2 years, but really in perpetuity. I don't plan on doing a full rebuild when my 2-3 window closes, just sell off some pieces here and there but keep my core group. MacKinnon, Eichel, Guentzel, Kakko, Q. Hughes etc.

My thinking was just that in 2 years if I am no closer to winning a championship, I could try and get full value for Vas, knowing I have Samsonov still and a decent prospect in Sogaard, and try and get a solid goalie in return plus other pieces which may help me contend again.
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the advice/feedback, guys!

W, OW, OL, SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Definitely keep him. What a bargain!

Dobber Sports Titan

If someone wants to come along and completely overpay for him, then you listen, but otherwise I would just ride him and see how many championships you can win.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Samsonov will most likely be entering a rebuild in a few seasons and seeing lots of puck. I would want another stud for when this eventuality comes to fruition.