Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Default Re: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm going to a local craft watering hole this afternoon before the draft. They have a new IPA and Honey Brown I plan on checking out. That will be my research lol.
    That's the best research!

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm going to a local craft watering hole this afternoon before the draft. They have a new IPA and Honey Brown I plan on checking out. That will be my research lol.
    I'm going out to the driving range to try a few tweaks after an inconsistent game last week. That's my last minute research.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

I am struggling with my strategy for drafting from the 9th spot. RB or WR? I go back and forth in my head. What's going to be available at both positions when it comes back to me for my 2nd pick and worse, my third pick? Ugh. Maybe someone will leave me an obvious choice at 9 and I'll roll with it, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I am struggling with my strategy for drafting from the 9th spot. RB or WR? I go back and forth in my head. What's going to be available at both positions when it comes back to me for my 2nd pick and worse, my third pick? Ugh. Maybe someone will leave me an obvious choice at 9 and I'll roll with it, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.
    But then if you take that obvious pick, I have to make the decision. I don't like that. I think they need to leave us two of them... That's better!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

I try and grab my RBs early if I can but at 9th, depending on who's available, it's not always a bad idea to grab a high end WR if he's staring you in the face, then grab a mid level RB on the way back around.

Then again, I don't think I've ever won this league so maybe taking drafting advice from me might not be in your best interest LOL
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Well that was fun. 14 team league so I just found myself being a jerk and grabbing any RB handcuff I could late. Gio, Snell, Armstead so whoever owns Mixon, Conner and Fournette.....let me know !!

Dobber Sports Deity

I got Fournette, but I have no clue who is backup was going to be so I left that one alone. Pollard went a lot earlier than I expected so I missed out on Zeke's handcuff.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Axe you let me know buddy.

I just received a B for my draft grade. Without a DST or K. Did they update their system?

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting tidbit from my draft grade:

Patience is a virtue. With the selection of WR Stefon Diggs (No. 54 overall), you became the last manager in the league to draft a wide receiver.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I wasn't sure what I would be left with when the ninth pick (14 teams) came around. I normally like to have 2 RB's in my first 3 picks, so I was wavering between RB and WR heading into the draft. Let's see how things fell out for The Frisky Hobbit:

1st Round - Seven RB's come off the board right off the bat, then WR-Michael Thomas NO. That left me to choose between WR-Davante Adams GB, rookie RB-Edwards-Helaire KC and TE-Kelce KC. I went with the rookie RB after hearing how well he's done in training camp play.

2nd Round - Was hoping WR-Julio Jones would make it back to me, but turns out Kelce made it back, so I got the top TE (on most people's lists).

3rd - Clearly in need of a WR, I was naively hoping one of Godwin, Thielen or Evans would be available with this pick, but nope. When JuJu Smith-Schuster went, my choice was easy, welcome to the team Amari Cooper.

4th - We were deep into the RB's and there were still several decent WR's left on the board and when Tyler Lockett was taken just in front of my pick, I went with the next best on my list, WR-Courtland Sutton DEN.

5th - Four rounds in the books and only one RB on my team. I'm not a huge fan of Devin Singletary BUF, especially with the news that he's got maybe some fumbling issues and Zack Moss to contend with. Also considered taking Ronald Jones TB and Kareem Hunt CLE, but in the end, I took a shot with Singletary hoping one of them would make it back to my next pick...

6th - ...neither of them made it (both were gone 4 picks after I took Singletary, sigh). Looked at QB, but there were still quite a few decent picks available. Decided to take WR-Tyler Boyd CIN over WR-Will Fuller HOU. In hindsight, I would have taken Fuller, but my draft list had Boyd ranked higher.

7th - QB's Josh Allen, Carson Wentz and Drew Brees all came off the board after my 6th round pick, so I decided to zag and chose another RB in Phillip Lindsay DEN in case Singletary plays a lesser role in BUF.

8th - Went with another WR who I've read could have a very good year, Jamison Crowder NYJ.

9th, 10th & 11th - Finally addressed my QB position by taking Aaron Rodgers GB, then a shot in the dark with Cam Newton in NE and a third QB for good measure with Jimmy Garoppolo SF. My rationale is that I can drop one of them if any of them look like they will be my week in, week out starter. I would have taken Goff LAR instead of Garoppolo if he was available. I also considered taking the BUF defence, but missed out on getting them with my next pick as they went 5 picks after my 11th pick.

12th - With BUF off the board, I went with RB-Justin Jackson LAC after reading that he had a very good training camp. Ekeler is the clear number one though.

13th - Decided to take my Kicker now, going with Zeurlein DAL.

14th - Time for my Defence, LA Chargers. Also considered Denver.

15th - Took the handcuff for my RB-Edwards-Helaire, Darrel Williams KC, who apparently had a decent camp.

Overall, I think I did okay in the draft, but these guys are pretty sharp drafters and with 14 teams, we go deep. I didn't have a set strategy heading in and just winged the draft, making it up as I went along. Yahoo gave my draft a B, lol! I'm hoping for a full season, minimally affected by COVID-19.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Another "C" grade, as expected. YaHoo is laughable. Dinged me for a "rude awakening" with wake 8 byes of Dionte Johnson (flexplayer) Noah Fant (I have Goedert) and Bryce Love (llast round flyer)

I admit, I did sleep on RB after Kamara and JT. Really wanted Moss or Dillon as my RB4 but no luck. Should be fun!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

I didn't do loads of prep, mainly found a list I liked and tweaked it, and then ran about 5-6 mock drafts to get a feel for where guys were in the yahoo rankings so I could navigate it well enough. Overall I found RB the hardest position to fill and the quality dropped off quickly, while I found that WR was quite deep with lots of options I was comfortable with available later, so that tailored the plan of trying to fill out the RB spots early and wait on WR.

1-1: First overall was between McCaffrey, Barkley and Elliott for me. I owned McCaffrey last year and loved him. I would have preferred to try someone else, but I was worried about injuries with Barkley and a lot more weapons around Elliott, which maybe makes him a better choice depending how you look at it. Regardless, McCaffrey.

2-28 & 3-29: In all the mocks I ended up with James Connor or Chris Carson here, and felt pretty good I'd be able to get one of them. No such luck. I also would have taken Mahomes or Jackson if they were available at the turn. Both gone as well. I considered two RBs here with Gurley, Fournette, Johnson and Ingram available, but don't trust Gurley and Fournette's health and had Godwin a ways higher than Ingram, so Godwin and Johnson were the picks. I'm hesitant with Godwin and Brady and am not sure Johnson can bounce back quite enough to justify this, but trusted the rankings.

4-56 & 5-57: If Mahomes and Jackson were gone, I would be targeting Prescott, Watson, Murray and Wilson here for a QB, otherwise I'd wait until much later. Watson and Murray were left, so I took Watson who I had rated slightly higher. My second pick here was Akers as I've read he's leading the way with the Rams to date. I had a number of WR rated higher, but the quality options at RB were disappearing quickly, so Akers was the pick.

6-84 & 7-85: There were a number of WR I was interested in here, but all of the top ones went. I settled for Shepard and took the top TE on my list in Hurst.

8-112 & 9-113: Happy to get Ruggs here as I have him rated higher on my list than Shepard, but gambled he'd last another two rounds. Upside backup RBs started going at this point, so I joined in the fun and took Scott who was the highest rated on my list.

10-140 & 11-141: Slim pickings at this point. Not many solid backup RB options left, not many solid WR options remaining but Preston Williams was a high upside pick available so I took a chance. I like Daniel Jones to take a step forward this year as well and provides a decent option should Watson get hurt.

12-168 & 13-169: Defenses and Kickers are starting to go at this point. I considered another backup RB with upside, but Tate was still available and relatively high on my list at this point, so I went with him. Defenses are always a crap shoot, but Minnesota was the 5th on my list so decided to give them a go.

14-196 & 15-197: Took the Seattle kicker Myers and the next highest backup RB on my list Joshua Kelley to round out the draft.

I don't love the results but am ok with my team. Drafting at the turn is always a challenge as I find it forces you into reaching for picks a little more than you would otherwise. I found myself with more rookies taken with higher picks then I like as I tend to prefer proof over potential, but the group drafted well and forced me into making higher upside / lower floor decisions they I typically like to make. Yahoo gave me the worst draft score of the group in a D+, so I'm hoping that's a good sign?

Dobber Sports Titan

Wasn't planning on taking Mahomes in the first round but when it got to me I didn't really like anyone else on the board as much and said eh, I'll take the top QB. I like how my lineup rounded out after that.

Yahoo gave me an A- and say I have the lightest schedule, so it can't be all bad, right?

The Wolverine

Yahoo has given me a challenge:

"Projected to Finish 13th, Horrorfan TBD Have a Great Team if the Goal is to Finish Dead Last"

Ha!

The Wolverine

Might as well recap my picks. Wasn't sure what to expect, especially being at the turn.

1. (14) Kenyan Drake (Ari - RB) - Knew I wanted at least one RB out of my first two picks. Had Drake ranked higher so happy he was available.
    2. (15) Josh Jacobs (LV - RB) - Thought about Sanders but was hesitant with his injury. Tempted by J. Jones as well but figured better for me to secure two top RB to start.
    3. (42) Robert Woods (LAR - WR) - Mentioned during the chat that I had AJ Brown and Ridley ready to pick before they went immediately before me. It threw me a bit so decided to at least get Woods as I didn't think he'd fall to pick 70.
    4. (43) Raheem Mostert (SF - RB) - Thought about another WR but couldn't decide which I preferred so probably reached a bit for Mostert as my flex. If he breaks out it could work out for me.
    5. (70) Marquise Brown (Bal - WR) - Need another WR so Brown on a solid team should be productive as my WR2.
    6. (71) A.J. Green (Cin - WR) - Thought I could wait for a QB and TE so taking a chance that Green stays healthy. Little risk as my WR3.
    7. (98) Tom Brady (TB - QB) - If Gronk was available I would have gone old school with both Brady and him but alas I could only grab one. We'll see if he can have a late career productive season on a new team.
    8. (99) Marlon Mack (Ind - RB) - Holding off on the TEs so decided on Mack who is projected to start. We'll see how long he can hold off Taylor. On my bench to start so willing to wait and see.
    9. (126) Chase Edmonds (Ari - RB) - Drake's handcuff just in case.
    10. (127) Blake Jarwin (Dal - TE) - Should get looks on a top offensive team.
    11. (154) Buffalo (Buf - DEF) - Nice schedule to start the season so hopefully they can perform as expected.
    12. (155) Brandon Aiyuk (SF - WR) - Late round flyer.
    13. (182) Tyler Eifert (Jax - TE) - Gives me another option in case Jarwin doesn't pan out.
    14. (183) Chris Thompson (Jax - RB) - Just for depth - not sure if he's Fournette's handcuff but no harm this late.
    15. (210) Joey Slye (Car - K) - A kicker.

Generally ok with my team as I was able to adjust without too much last-second panic and give myself decent balance throughout. Let's see what happens when the games are played.

Now I just need to decide on a horror-themed team name...