Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Default Re: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I've realised during my draft prep that picking at the turn in a 14 team league is not easy, especially when I've been out of touch for a little while. Should be interesting who's left for me to choose from.
    Inevitably, you'l have to reach on certain players when picking on turn,knowing there will be 20+ picks before it gets back to you. I do it all the time.
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Inevitably, you'l have to reach on certain players when picking on turn,knowing there will be 20+ picks before it gets back to you. I do it all the time.
    Yeah that's what makes it difficult for me - still not sure who I would want, or what strategy I want to take. And trying to forecast who could be available at the 3/4 turn is even more challenging.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've realised during my draft prep that picking at the turn in a 14 team league is not easy, especially when I've been out of touch for a little while. Should be interesting who's left for me to choose from.
    Last year, I started picking at 14th overall and it's challenging, especially as the draft gets rolling. It's great to have B2B picks but you really have to think 28 picks later with that 2nd pick and look at your roster needs. I know a couple times I had to "reach" to fill a position so I wasn't left with a pile of dog shit when it came back to me again.

If it makes you feel any better, even though I picked 14th, I still finished 7th.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Yeah that's what makes it difficult for me - still not sure who I would want, or what strategy I want to take. And trying to forecast who could be available at the 3/4 turn is even more challenging.
    If I'm picking on an end, I focus on drafting talent over building a balanced roster. Also, this year, if you can grab 2 top-14 RBs I would make that a priority. Probably a hard sell at the 14-spot. So for example Sanders/Jacobs would be a nice start and you wouldn't have to worry about the RB deadzone in rounds 4-6. Then grabbing Akers/JK Dobbins or Kareem Hunt as your RB3/flex later.

Another option at 14 might to stack Hill/Mahomes at the first turn and then hammer RB on the next go-around (JT/Ingram). WR is very deep so filling in behind Hill should be easier than dumpster diving for RBs which you would have to do if you pass on the latter at the 3/4 turn
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

If I'm picking on an end, I focus on drafting talent over building a balanced roster. Also, this year, if you can grab 2 top-14 RBs I would make that a priority. Probably a hard sell at the 14-spot. So for example Sanders/Jacobs would be a nice start and you wouldn't have to worry about the RB deadzone in rounds 4-6. Then grabbing Akers/JK Dobbins or Kareem Hunt as your RB3/flex later.

Another option at 14 might to stack Hill/Mahomes at the first turn and then hammer RB on the next go-around (JT/Ingram). WR is very deep so filling in behind Hill should be easier than dumpster diving for RBs which you would have to do if you pass on the latter at the 3/4 turn
    Thanks. Yeah I have some ideas but given the options potentially available I can see multiple choices depending on who's left for me. Though, I hadn't really thought about a QB that early given the depth in the position.

As for going after talent, well that's where I'm relying on reading columns/forums as I don't watch games and haven't paid attention all that much in recent years.

Looking forward to the draft regardless!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Last year, I started picking at 14th overall and it's challenging, especially as the draft gets rolling. It's great to have B2B picks but you really have to think 28 picks later with that 2nd pick and look at your roster needs. I know a couple times I had to "reach" to fill a position so I wasn't left with a pile of dog shit when it came back to me again.

If it makes you feel any better, even though I picked 14th, I still finished 7th.
    That's true, and that's part of my challenge with not knowing the players as well.

Don't have any expectations for a finishing position - I'd just be happy with feeling ok with my draft and go from there!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

P7 time spent researching fantasy football: still at 0.0000min.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    P7 time spent researching fantasy football: still at 0.0000min.
    Like you need research.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I have been slowly building up my knowledge for this year. We will see how it goes.

I still think the year will be an absolute mess.

Looking forward to the draft tomorrow, gents. That 12-noon time is pacific, correct?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Noon pacific and 3pm EST is what I have written down
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Looking forward to the draft tomorrow, gents. That 12-noon time is pacific, correct?
    It shows as my local time, unless it's set differently for you. But that sounds right as I'm 8 hours ahead of Pacific and it's at 8pm for me.

Cool thanks. I think my default is pacific for some reason. Never changed it
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Starting my research in 3.... 2... 1...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Starting my research in 3.... 2... 1...
    I'm going to a local craft watering hole this afternoon before the draft. They have a new IPA and Honey Brown I plan on checking out. That will be my research lol.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."