Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has Quinn Hughes emerged as a top 5 D in the league?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Has Quinn Hughes emerged as a top 5 D in the league?

In a keeper, fantasy league pretty sure I will pick him top 5.
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    In a keeper, fantasy league pretty sure I will pick him top 5.
    Completely different question than the OP, but thought to argue that point (as long as you mean top 5 Dmen, and not top 5 overall).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Always easier to disagree with somebody's lengthy post than create a full list one'self.
    Zero.Points.
    (Still love you)

Edler was +13 on the Canucks this year.
    Hughes was -10 on the Canucks this year.
    That means they played in front of the same goalie, behind the same forwards.

And I'd guess (?) that Hughes didn't have the higher QoC to face.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/...Minus/dir/desc

I might prefer Edler over Hughes, if I know I have to ice a team against top competition.
    If we are talking about "best defensemen", then we also have to consider them against top competition... the one's that will score goals against our guys.
    I was actually going to list Edler as an honorable mention. I don't think Hughes is the best overall D on Vancouver right now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Let's put it this way...in the final few minutes of a one-goal hockey game, a coach is going to want his best players on the ice.

Quinn Hughes did not see a second of ice time in the final 6 minutes and 6 seconds of the 3rd period tonight.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Let's put it this way...in the final few minutes of a one-goal hockey game, a coach is going to want his best players on the ice.

Quinn Hughes did not see a second of ice time in the final 6 minutes and 6 seconds of the 3rd period tonight.
    Lets put it this way, the blues scored the tying goal WITHOUT Quinn on the ice, and he set up the game winning goal in OT.

He's the leading d scorer so far in the playoffs. averaging 23 minutes a game.

He's got 2 more seconds if PK than Makar - who has 0 seconds and 6 seconds less than Theodore who has 8
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Always easier to disagree with somebody's lengthy post than create a full list one'self.
    Zero.Points.
    (Still love you)

Edler was +13 on the Canucks this year.
    Hughes was -10 on the Canucks this year.
    That means they played in front of the same goalie, behind the same forwards.

And I'd guess (?) that Hughes didn't have the higher QoC to face.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/...Minus/dir/desc

I might prefer Edler over Hughes, if I know I have to ice a team against top competition.
    If we are talking about "best defensemen", then we also have to consider them against top competition... the one's that will score goals against our guys.
    isn't this a fantasy forum? why would you suggest taking Edler over Hughes? Not sure why you would even make the comparison between a first year player and a veteran? I like Edler as well but he has been battling for years and has been to a game 7 final, you learn a lot through that. QH is learning off Edler.
    One interesting tidbit - Edler had 1 less point than Klefbom who played on arguably the best pp in the league, and Klefbom was -17.

QH was top 5 scoring in the league and second in PP points for D when Covid hit as a rookie and he was only getting better - why wouldn't you pick him as top 5 D in a fantasy draft?
    Rebuilding

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Dobber Sports Deity

It's an interesting thread. I do think Hughes is right there as someone to consider around that top 4-5 fantasy Dmen depending on your league setup. Points only hes in the conversation. Multicat, he drops but so do a lot of other Dmen who are known for offense.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    isn't this a fantasy forum? why would you suggest taking Edler over Hughes? Not sure why you would even make the comparison between a first year player and a veteran? I like Edler as well but he has been battling for years and has been to a game 7 final, you learn a lot through that. QH is learning off Edler.
    One interesting tidbit - Edler had 1 less point than Klefbom who played on arguably the best pp in the league, and Klefbom was -17.

QH was top 5 scoring in the league and second in PP points for D when Covid hit as a rookie and he was only getting better - why wouldn't you pick him as top 5 D in a fantasy draft?
    Dude you're the one that opened your thread with the vague criteria of "generational". So of course you're getting feedback on a player's overall contribution to a team winning games , which doesn't just include being an awesome PP QB.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    In fantasy he's easily top 5. But overall the best of the best are deployed in all game situations. Hughes isn't used on the PK at all, which is when all of the other team's best offensive weapons are on the ice. It's an important part of the game. He'll probably be there soon but he's not there yet. I don't give credit for incomplete work.
    As usual, Eric says it perfectly.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    Dude you're the one that opened your thread with the vague criteria of "generational". So of course you're getting feedback on a player's overall contribution to a team winning games , which doesn't just include being an awesome PP QB.
    Dude, i didn't open the thread. But get the point you are making.
    Rebuilding

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post

If he said fantasy D, I wouldn't have mentioned Edler. The OP simply said top 5 D, used "generational" in a way that indicates that he seems to think generational players come along often, and I took him to mean overall D.
    There's plenty of actual player quality talk here, but it is more fantasy.

I doubt Hughes sniffs top 5 in a multi-cat setup, but he could get there in points only. I would like to see more than 1 season before I go there.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

He shares the record with Raymond Bourque as the only two defenceman to achieve 7 points in their first 5 playoff games. Bourque completed this in 1980. This 20 year old is already a top 5 point producing talent in the league. He has arrived. His overall game continues to develop but this is typical for a 20 year old with no facial hair. Comparing him to AP, Carlson, Josi and Jones is premature at this point.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Points only he's easily top 10. Maybe top 5. He's definitely one of the most desirable assets in the league at his position for points-only.
    Add the fact that he's on fire these playoffs, he will be a hot commodity over the off-season.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Add the fact that he's on fire these playoffs, he will be a hot commodity over the off-season.
    Sell high.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Sell high.
    I would not.