Thread: Keeper Advice

Dobber Sports Newbie

Question Keeper Advice

First time poster, long time lurker...

I'm in a 13 team, keep 13 players ROTO league with no farm system. Un-kept players get put into the pool of draft eligible players for the next season. I have picks 2 (Byfield or Laf), 4, 10 and 12 so I can likely draft some of these guys again.

I'm thinking of keeping:

Barkov
    Dach
    Dubois
    Gaudrau
    Kucherov
    Hertl
    Kaprizov

Boqvist
    Chychrun
    Ekblad

Samsonov
    Shesterkin
    Sorokin

I can swap out one (or more) of the guys above for the following:
    Batherson
    Comtois
    Byram

The scoring categories for players are: G A PIM SOG PPP Hit Blk Tk and Points for Dmen (giving Dmen more value)
    The scoring categories for goalies are: W GAA SV SV%

I really like Batherson, Comtois and Byram given the scoring system. I think they will all be well rounded players. My main question is, given the scoring system do you think it makes sense to keep one of Batherson, Comtois or Byram in place of a goalie? Given that there are far more player categories than goalie?

Thanks a lot for the help and advice

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Keeper Advice

First of all welcome to the forums and the posting side of it!

Second of all... what an unlucky league... 13 teams and keep 13 players... scary! haha

As for your question, I wouldn't keep any of those three over a goalie.

However, I would try trading one of those goalies for picks and keeping Byram.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I've learnt so much reading through this forum every few days I feel like beers are owed.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Welcome to the Forum!
    I'd dump Chychrun and swap in Byram. Arizona isn't a high-scoring team and won't add many points and while Byram has a wait before becoming fantasy relevant I like his ceiling a lot more than Chychrun. You could easily redraft Chychrun if you want him, Byram will go higher.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks VanDan - thinking about it a bit more, I think you're right I should be keeping the higher ceiling guy in Byram because I can probably draft Chychrun in the 3rd or 4th round.

I should have mentioned in my original post the team sizes themselves are quite large so even though 13 are kept the teams balloon to 24 players after the draft.

Dobber Sports Stud

Byram over Chych for me. Other than that, I like it

Dobber Sports Titan

I like your keeper set. Byram is the next guy I would try to keep. Any chance you can trade either Ekblad or Chychrun? Maybe with Hertl or Gaudreau for a forward upgrade? Then you can keep Byram.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd be keeping Byram over Boqvist personally and keep Chychrun.

Chychrun put up just shy of 35 points this season with the lack luster Arizona offensive performance we saw. On paper Arizona has too many offensive options to score at this poor a rate again. Chychrun had great rates already for shots, hits, and blocks.

Boqvist on the other hand really struggled this past season and was horrible for peripherals. Even though he got over 2 minutes a game of power play time he didn't do much with it. I think in 3-4 years Boqvist will win out here, but I think it'll take a while for Boqvist to come into his own.

So it comes down to Boqvist and Byram for me. Byram I prefer to Boqvist because he's been touted as more of the complete package while still being comparable offensively to Boqvist. Even if he struggles for points next year he'll give you solid peripherals.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Icon

It's a 13 team league and you don't have 1 starting goalie. I think that's a problem that I would look to address.

I would not change any of your skater keepers. As much as I like Byram, I don't think he's in the NHL next season so there's no point keeping him at this point.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks you all for the replies and giving it some thought

I really should have tried to do a 2 for 1 trade before season end to keep Byram. A 2 for 1 trade at this point would be very hard.

I'm in a rebuild which is why I'm heavy on prospects and light on proven talent - I'm hoping in two years (when I think my team will be more competitive) the three goalies I have are 50 game guys.

I'll give some thought to Byram over Boqvist - you're right about Boqvist's peripherals not being great. I was thinking Boqvist has less blocking his path to minutes vs Byram.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    It's a 13 team league and you don't have 1 starting goalie. I think that's a problem that I would look to address.

I would not change any of your skater keepers. As much as I like Byram, I don't think he's in the NHL next season so there's no point keeping him at this point.
    I think dolphin has two very good starting goalies heading in to next season. Shesterkin will be the number one with rangers next season no question. Samsonov will most likely take over the reins as I doubt Washington will be looking to resign Holtby in the offseason, can easily save some cap dollars and bring in a cheaper backup to Samsonov.