Thread: John Marino

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default John Marino

For discussion sake, what can we expect from him? I'm not talking about Fantasy necessarily but as an NHL defenseman. Top 4? Top2? PK? PP? Was this season a fluke? I want your opinions
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: John Marino

Peaks as a 2 or 3 I think. Solid all around so should see some PP and PK time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Solid 2nd pairing guy who will play on PP2 and PK2.

Administrator

Deployment-wise I'm thinking Matt Niskanen

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with everyone else, a top 4 D who may play in the top pair, and will get PP time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

You guys think he has more chance to improve than falling off? I hope he doesn't turn out like Butcher

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm inclined to agree with the rest, top pairing is not a good bet, but playing a solid role on the second pairing is a good bet. That said, a Letang injury may provide Marino with the opportunity to move into a top pairing roll and specifically some PP1 time. The Pens blue line is not offensively deep, the only guy standing in Marino's way is Justin Shultz and I like Marino to take advantage of that. The Pens pipeline is pretty thin as well, Pierre-Olivier Joseph being the only blue chip D with considerable offensive upside. How far away he is remains to be seen but I don't think it's next year. All this to say that Marino is currently a very good spot to take a step forward, opportunity could well come knocking as it did this year. Norris like numbers are not likely, but he could be a 50 - 55 D man if the stars align. Letang's contract is up in two years, so beyond that who knows. Certainly with what the Pens have today, Marino's name has to be included in the "heir apparent" discussion. It's likely the Pens do something about that, but, then again, maybe they don't. Marino is worth taking a chance on.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Marino..Letang is aging, Schultz will most likely sign with another franchise and Marino will get opportunities on the pp frequently.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Perfect! taking notes

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with the rest, top pairing is not a good bet, but playing a solid role on the second pairing is a good bet. That said, a Letang injury may provide Marino with the opportunity to move into a top pairing roll and specifically some PP1 time. The Pens blue line is not offensively deep, the only guy standing in Marino's way is Justin Shultz and I like Marino to take advantage of that. The Pens pipeline is pretty thin as well, Pierre-Olivier Joseph being the only blue chip D with considerable offensive upside. How far away he is remains to be seen but I don't think it's next year. All this to say that Marino is currently a very good spot to take a step forward, opportunity could well come knocking as it did this year. Norris like numbers are not likely, but he could be a 50 - 55 D man if the stars align. Letang's contract is up in two years, so beyond that who knows. Certainly with what the Pens have today, Marino's name has to be included in the "heir apparent" discussion. It's likely the Pens do something about that, but, then again, maybe they don't. Marino is worth taking a chance on.
    Agree with Bubba, there could be some opportunities sooner than later. Now could be a time to acquire at a reasonable price.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO