Thread: Jack Campbell

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Jack Campbell

Hey guys what do you think of JC? Do you think he has the potential to be starter material? Andersen I don't think re-signs after next season as the leafs are in cap hell for a while and Campbell was extended 2 more years at 1.6 cap hit. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Jack Campbell

no he is not
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Monster

Depends how you define starter. Could he hold the fort for 40-45 games and do pretty well? Sure. If that makes him a starter then okay. A good starter like top 15 in the league calibre? Doubtful. I don't see him being signed as a starter anywhere in the near future, but he could get forced into the job and do okay. He did do very well in LA with the job for a while. I just don't know if the opportunities for him are going to be there. It does seem like almost every goalie who kicks around in the NHL, even if they're not young and highly touted, has a chance to break out as a starter. So the remote possibility remains there.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

He's not going to be anyone's golden boy. He has to outplay the guy ahead of him and earn the gig. Until he does the team will keep bringing in other guys to play ahead of him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He's not going to be anyone's golden boy. He has to outplay the guy ahead of him and earn the gig. Until he does the team will keep bringing in other guys to play ahead of him.
    I agree with this. I can see Andersen moved and the Leafs bringing in a cheaper guy to somewhat split with Campbell, but still play the majority of games over JC.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He has the potential, he's been a slightly above average goalie in the NHL, and had enough pedigree to go high in the 1st round, but that was long ago, and multiple teams ago.

His contract is backup money, and as others he will have to play his way into that role. This isn't going be handed to him, and it's more likely that he's part of a tandem, where you hope for a bit over half the starts.

Next year is huge for his NHL future, he needs to play well enough that he sticks on a roster as a protected goalie, if at all possible.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I agree with this. I can see Andersen moved and the Leafs bringing in a cheaper guy to somewhat split with Campbell, but still play the majority of games over JC.
    This is my thought too, but that doesn't mean he can't get comfortable and play his way into 50 games for a few seasons.
    He's never going to be the best goalie in the league, but he can be a decent goalie for a good team a la Grubauer.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    This is my thought too, but that doesn't mean he can't get comfortable and play his way into 50 games for a few seasons.
    He's never going to be the best goalie in the league, but he can be a decent goalie for a good team a la Grubauer.
    Tough to argue with these points. I agree completely.

Dobber Sports Deity

Jack Campbell is not 1G material. Period.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Jack Campbell is not 1G material. Period.
    But tell us how you really feel...

Hypothetically, Andersen gets hurt or is traded or incapacitated and can't play most of next season. Dubas doesn't acquire a real number one, and you run with a duo of something like Campbell and Brian Elliott who was still on the FA pile for the NHL two weeks into the season. Do you think that Campbell would get 70% of the starts and could succeed in at least putting up league average numbers?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

But tell us how you really feel...

Hypothetically, Andersen gets hurt or is traded or incapacitated and can't play most of next season. Dubas doesn't acquire a real number one, and you run with a duo of something like Campbell and Brian Elliott who was still on the FA pile for the NHL two weeks into the season. Do you think that Campbell would get 70% of the starts and could succeed in at least putting up league average numbers?

I do not see him getting 70% of the starts, no.

I think he's a decent backup who can be relied on for 25-30 starts but I dont see starter material who can carry the milk home to the farm. At almost 29 years of age, I think the window is pretty much closed on teams giving him the keys.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Maybe nitpicking a little, but another former top goalie prospect in Jacob Markstrom took 100 games before he figured things out and became a starter. Could we see the same ascension from Jack? I think it's possible. Maybe 30-40% likelihood as opposed to something I am sure can happen, but he has shown stretches of very solid play.

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe nitpicking a little, but another former top goalie prospect in Jacob Markstrom took 100 games before he figured things out and became a starter. Could we see the same ascension from Jack? I think it's possible. Maybe 30-40% likelihood as opposed to something I am sure can happen, but he has shown stretches of very solid play.
    I mean, it's not completely out of the question, but I just don't see it. For the longest time, Markstrom was known as the best goalie NOT playing in the NHL and the thing that seemed to hold him back was his injuries. He struggled to stay healthy which stunted his progress as much as anything. That hasn't been the case for Campbell.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I mean, it's not completely out of the question, but I just don't see it. For the longest time, Markstrom was known as the best goalie NOT playing in the NHL and the thing that seemed to hold him back was his injuries. He struggled to stay healthy which stunted his progress as much as anything. That hasn't been the case for Campbell.
    I think for Campbell it was more of a lack of opportunity which can be the same as injuries. He hasn't been able to get regular time behind either of Quick or Andersen. Who knows though... Goalies.

Dobber Sports Titan

First step, Andersen needs to not be a Leaf, or needs to be hurt for an extended time for him to get the opportunity. I think JC has the mentality to do well as a back up in Toronto, but who knows about a starter in Toronto. I'm not even talking about the media, I'm talking about the d-core. Gotta have the right mentality of not facing a shot for 5minutes, then have 5 breakaways against you instantly, then hemmed in for 10minutes.

first step, opportunity, second step, be effective, third step, win games.

Gotta get that first step before thinking of step 2 when it comes to goaltending.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll