Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL's best 1-2 punch down the middle

Dobber Sports Deity

Default NHL's best 1-2 punch down the middle

I am not talking about fantasy hockey, but real life. Who do you consider to be the leagues top five, 1-2 punch in the league at the center position. I'll give my top five or so but curious who you think has the best, real life, 1-2 punch at the center position.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins. Although aging, both Crosby and Malkin are still the cream of the crop in real life for me.
    2. Edmonton Oilers. McDavid and Draisaitl are closing in on that top position for me.
    3. St Louis Blues. You cannot beat the heart and desire of BSchenn and ROR. Proven winners.
    4. Toronto Maple Leafs. JT and Matthews are right there with STL for me, only with more to prove.
    5. Boston Bruins. If Kerjci was a bit stronger and could stay healthier, I'd have this pair higher.

For discussion purposes, that's my top five. Who do you have?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NHL's best 1-2 punch down the middle

I think the Edmonton duo is arguably first, but tough to argue with either order as the top two.

Third I would probably have Toronto. Same problem as Edmonton, the centres are good but the rest of the team isn't picking up the slack for the results.

Fourth is probably STL, and then I would have EP and Horvat on the list fifth for Vancouver. I love that duo.

HMs to COL (Mackinnon & Kadri), BOS (Bergeron & Krejci), Philly (Couts & Hayes), TB (Point & Cirelli), CAR (Aho & Trochek), and WSH (Backstrom & Kuz)
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

1 - Edm (McDavid/Draisaitl)
    2 - Pitt (Crosby/Malkin)
    3 - Tor (Matthews/Tavares)
    4 - TB (Stamkos/Point)
    5 - Wsh (Backstrom/Kuznetsov)

I like the Stl guys too, but I like high-flying offensive players too much to leave any of these other duos out.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    1 - Edm (McDavid/Draisaitl)
    2 - Pitt (Crosby/Malkin)
    3 - Tor (Matthews/Tavares)
    4 - TB (Stamkos/Point)
    5 - Wsh (Backstrom/Kuznetsov)

I like the Stl guys too, but I like high-flying offensive players too much to leave any of these other duos out.
    Stamkos isn't really playing C much anymore, and that's why I didn't have them in my top five.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Stamkos isn't really playing C much anymore, and that's why I didn't have them in my top five.
    That's right, my bad. Been out of the loop for too long lol.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

1. Edmonton McDavid/Draisaitl
    2. Toronto Matthews/Tavares
    3. Pittsburgh Crosby/Malkin
    4. Washinton Kuznetsov/Backstrom
    5. St. Louis ROR/Schenn
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think the Edmonton duo is arguably first, but tough to argue with either order as the top two.

Third I would probably have Toronto. Same problem as Edmonton, the centres are good but the rest of the team isn't picking up the slack for the results.

Fourth is probably STL, and then I would have EP and Horvat on the list fifth for Vancouver. I love that duo.

HMs to COL (Mackinnon & Kadri), BOS (Bergeron & Krejci), Philly (Couts & Hayes), TB (Point & Cirelli), CAR (Aho & Trochek), and WSH (Backstrom & Kuz)
    I wont give Toronto that 3rd overall spot until they can win a playoff round. Until then, they are a great regular season pair, but still have something to prove. Thats why I have then fourth on my list. At least McDavid and Draisaitl have one playoff round win under their belt.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I wont give Toronto that 3rd overall spot until they can win a playoff round. Until then, they are a great regular season pair, but still have something to prove. Thats why I have then fourth on my list. At least McDavid and Draisaitl have one playoff round win under their belt.
    Tough to argue that too much, but I'll stick with my rankings as the TOR duo is basically just as skilled, but only one playoff round win less.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I can make the argument that TBL with Point and Cirelli are top 5. One is one of the best offensively while the other is one of the best defensively
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I can make the argument that TBL with Point and Cirelli are top 5. One is one of the best offensively while the other is one of the best defensively
    That's basically the argument I had to put the VAN duo as my number five.

Dobber Sports Icon

Are we talking playoffs or regular season because that drastically changes the rankings for me?

Either way, here are my rankings:

1) McDavid + Draisaitl - McDavid is just so far ahead of everyone else that he brings Draisaitl up to the #1 ranking
    2) Crosby + Malkin - still two of the best although their play-in series may be telling us that they are about to drop
    3) Bergeron + Krejci - playoff Krejci is still one of the games best centers, Bergeron is still the best 2 way center in the NHL
    4) Point + Cirelli - They play completely opposite games but they play their roles so well
    5) Matthews + Tavares

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Are we talking playoffs or regular season because that drastically changes the rankings for me?

Either way, here are my rankings:

1) McDavid + Draisaitl - McDavid is just so far ahead of everyone else that he brings Draisaitl up to the #1 ranking
    2) Crosby + Malkin - still two of the best although their play-in series may be telling us that they are about to drop
    3) Bergeron + Krejci - playoff Krejci is still one of the games best centers, Bergeron is still the best 2 way center in the NHL
    4) Point + Cirelli - They play completely opposite games but they play their roles so well
    5) Matthews + Tavares
    Im talking about generalized, overall rankings, so both. Again, this is just for discussion purposes. I am curious who people feel have the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Dobber Sports Ace

While those (EDM, PIT, TOR, BOS, TBL) are clearly the cream of the crop, here are some others that I think deserve honorable mention (and have the potential to challenge the top 6):
    DAL = Seguin, Hintz
    CHI = Toews (depends how much more he has left in the tank), Strome
    NSH = Johansen, Duchene
    NJD = Hischier, J Hughes - have not done anything - but based on skill level, may get there sooner than some of the others
    NYR = Zibanejad, R Strome (especially after the AL pick in upcoming draft, if they do pick AL)
    STL = Schenn, ROR - already mentioned
    VAN = EP, Horvat - agree with Eskimo Bro
    VGK = Karlsson, Stastny (in the TBL mould)
    WSH = Backs, Kuz - already mentioned

My 2 cents
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Deity

Nashville SHOULD have one of the better duos but sadly they didn't live up to their lofty expectations.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, Nashville might be in there for name value, but not for real life value.

I have never been a Duchene fan and he's living up to that low billing