Thread: Goalies and the playoffs

Dobber Sports Star

Default Goalies and the playoffs

So... Rittich and Elvis riding the pine while Talbot and Korpisalo rock the house? Is this affecting how people think about their jobs for the coming regular season?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Goalies and the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    So... Rittich and Elvis riding the pine while Talbot and Korpisalo rock the house? Is this affecting how people think about their jobs for the coming regular season?
    Not really. Too much can change before then.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I was surprised that Talbot got the start over Rittich for the playins. The fact he's still winning is why he's still playing. It definitely should say something to the fact that Rittich might not be as solid in nets for the Flames as we think and should definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

As far as Korpisalo goes, I wasn't surprised he got the start over Merzlikins. Both guys were rock solid for Torts in the regular season. Let's not forget that until he got injured, Korpi was the #1 for CBJ. Merzlikins definitely stole the role during his injury and played excellent. This one really could have gone either way rolling into the playins and I wouldn't have been surprised.

At this point, I'd say both teams are rolling with who is winning for them and both situations are fluid enough that all it can take is a one bad game for the situation to change to favor the other guy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Korpi and Elvis were always going to be a close split. Talbot getting the start just shows that there will be a 1B brought in (maybe Talbot brought back) while Rittich gets 45 starts next year. Not too much changing opinion wise at this point.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

Merzlikins is out due to unspecified injury, so it doesn't seem to be a conscious choice to bench him. Seems likely that neither he nor Korpisalo will start more than 50 games next year, barring injury. They want a split.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Merzlikins is out due to unspecified injury, so it doesn't seem to be a conscious choice to bench him. Seems likely that neither he nor Korpisalo will start more than 50 games next year, barring injury. They want a split.
    I think this is the way all teams will be going. The days of workhorse goalies are going to be a memory shortly.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

the collective disparity of goaltending has made picking them much easier in drafts now IMO. If you do not get the likes of Vas, Markstrom, Hart, Binnington you are going the committee route.