Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wich position to fill first, new Cap eague

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Wich position to fill first, new Cap eague

New salary cap league. Cap is 105 M$. Draft begin in few days for active NHL players, and in a month for minor slots (100 games and less).

Need to dress 3C/ 3LW/ 3RW/ 6D/ 2G.

Wich position I should target first ?

Rep to all
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Wich position to fill first, new Cap eague

Target the best players (and bargains) for the first few rounds, and then you can adjust accordingly from there. How many teams in the league?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Target the best players (and bargains) for the first few rounds, and then you can adjust accordingly from there. How many teams in the league?
    12 teams
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    12 teams
    Just wanted to make sure goalies wouldn't be crazily overvalued if there were a lot of teams and 2 G slots.
    What is the stats breakdown like?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just wanted to make sure goalies wouldn't be crazily overvalued if there were a lot of teams and 2 G slots.
    What is the stats breakdown like?
    Stats : A, G, Blk, FOW, Hit, PIM, Pt, SOP, STP, SV, Wins, SV%, GAA,

Each weight 1pt.

Dobber Sports Icon

Draft McDavid with your first pick! After that, take the best player available but make sure to stay aware of how much cap room you have left. I would have a cap room per player left calculation in the spreadsheet you use to track your team and your picks.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Stats : A, G, Blk, FOW, Hit, PIM, Pt, SOP, STP, SV, Wins, SV%, GAA,

Each weight 1pt.
    By 1 pt each do you mean it's a roto league, or a H2H league using either points or categories?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Draft McDavid with your first pick! After that, take the best player available but make sure to stay aware of how much cap room you have left. I would have a cap room per player left calculation in the spreadsheet you use to track your team and your picks.
    Unless MacKinnon is still on the board

Dobber Sports Icon

Unless MacKinnon is still on the board
    I see what you did there!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I see what you did there!
    We'll just say that one comes down to personal preference, but I think we can both agree that you go BPA in the early rounds instead of trying to corner a specific position.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with EB that you want to grab good players at good values. I think with that format, that you will find players who are values that aren't readily apparent. Block/Hit/PIM guys may be undervalued in the initial draft, and I'd try to focus my research on those guys with good contracts. Not the picks, mind you, but making sure I know all of the guys that might work in that role.

I finished first in my multi-cat cap league this past year, due to guys like Goodrow, Coleman, Acciari, Danault, Carrier, Jenner, Chiarot, Graves, Roy, etc. Figure out how they may fit your roster, and in what round you feel comfortable starting to grab them.

Know your rules, and plan to contend perpetually.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

For me, it depends where you are picking in the first round and who has gone before your pick (assuming you aren't picking first overall).

Do you know your draft spot yet?

Also, this is a fun thread to read on differing opinions on who to take with the first couple picks in a new start up league. Lots of good ideas and opinions.

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...hlight=mcdavid
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

As others have alluded to, read the thread posted above. You'll see that the answer is clearly to take an elite player on a bargain contract. Your $105 M cap gives you a bit more leeway here, and so, while I would still take MacKinnon over McDavid (playing off the thread above), the gap wouldn't as large as it is in an $81.5 M cap league.

With FOW as a category, I would use C vs W as a tiebreaker, if two guys are in the same tier, but one is a C (e.g., MacKinnon over Pastrnak // Eichel over Kucherov).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    As others have alluded to, read the thread posted above. You'll see that the answer is clearly to take an elite player on a bargain contract. Your $105 M cap gives you a bit more leeway here, and so, while I would still take MacKinnon over McDavid (playing off the thread above), the gap wouldn't as large as it is in an $81.5 M cap league.

With FOW as a category, I would use C vs W as a tiebreaker, if two guys are in the same tier, but one is a C (e.g., MacKinnon over Pastrnak // Eichel over Kucherov).
    MacKinnon is the ultimate cap forward plain and simple, if you are first overall, I understand taking McDavid; but if he is off the board and you can secure Nathan, it's a no brainer.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Stud

When did/should the first G come off the board?
    Dare i ask if it should be Vas or Helly?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    When did/should the first G come off the board?
    Dare i ask if it should be Vas or Helly?
    I would load up on skaters first and not waste a high end pick on a goalie. Their values fluctuate way too much from year to year. For example, Bobrovsky likely won teams a championship in 2018/19 but teams that drafted him early in 19/20 likley found themselves at the bottom of the standings. There should also be a few starting goalies available in the minors draft so you can wait for that draft if you miss out on all of the starters in the first draft.