Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lafrenière / Rangers

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Lafrenière / Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I'm not super familiar with the team, but everything I've read suggests they're weak at C depth, and Strome has done a great job as a #2 center with the ability to slot up to the first line. I don't see any way they can afford to lose him.

Chytil is a good prospect but I don't see him being anywhere close to #2 C on a team with Cup aspirations.
    Yes, true, but as we just saw from them (and Toronto and Edmonton) - you don't win in the playoffs without strong defense.

Dobber Sports Deity

It was nice to finally see Ryan Strome show the potential everyone thought he had when he came out of Jr. It took a while, but he finally arrived. He was key for the Rangers this past season. The big question comes down to money and the next contract for Strome. That alone will determine if they can afford to lose him or not. The Rangers have plenty of chips to trade to improve their Center depth. Will be an interesting, and short, off-season for the Rangers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

that's the best part is how quick next season comes around.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I know Laf/Byfield were considered a close 1a/1b at points over the past year, but I'm pretty sure most scouts have settled on Laf being a sure-fire NHL All-Star.
    Whereas Byfield has sure-fire All-Star *potential* (meaning we'll know in 3-4 years if it's all there at NHL speed, I think it's only 50/50. Byfield will be a star, not sure bout sure-fire All-Star, though.).

Personally, I think Laf (I'm not spelling out his name every time) is a lock to be straight-drafted by the Rangers at #1.
    Same for Byfield to LA at #2, and same for Stutzle to Ott at #3.
    It will get interesting after that.

The guy I'm curious about is Mikael Granlund - who hasn't worked out in NAS after the Fiala trade.
    He's UFA and I think he's a potential "try him out at C" signing for NYR while they try to bridge Ryan Strome & eval dollars for Ziba.
    Ziba is a $10m UFA in two summers (2022), so it IS a thing that the Rangers need to think about their center depth.

The NHL still hasn't seen a team recently win a cup without some high-end centers.
    STL is probably the "weakest" top 2C team to win a cup recently... and ROR is a heck of a player.
    Brayden Schenn ain't too shabby either.
    Amazing what adding those two players did to rise that team up.

So it's a fair point... long-term... NYR does have to solve their C1/C2 issue.
    For now, I think they draft Laf, bridge Strome, and prepare to back the truck up for Zibanejad.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I know Laf/Byfield were considered a close 1a/1b at points over the past year, but I'm pretty sure most scouts have settled on Laf being a sure-fire NHL All-Star.
    Whereas Byfield has sure-fire All-Star *potential* (meaning we'll know in 3-4 years if it's all there at NHL speed, I think it's only 50/50. Byfield will be a star, not sure bout sure-fire All-Star, though.).

Personally, I think Laf (I'm not spelling out his name every time) is a lock to be straight-drafted by the Rangers at #1.
    Same for Byfield to LA at #2, and same for Stutzle to Ott at #3.
    It will get interesting after that.

The guy I'm curious about is Mikael Granlund - who hasn't worked out in NAS after the Fiala trade.
    He's UFA and I think he's a potential "try him out at C" signing for NYR while they try to bridge Ryan Strome & eval dollars for Ziba.
    Ziba is a $10m UFA in two summers (2022), so it IS a thing that the Rangers need to think about their center depth.

The NHL still hasn't seen a team recently win a cup without some high-end centers.
    STL is probably the "weakest" top 2C team to win a cup recently... and ROR is a heck of a player.
    Brayden Schenn ain't too shabby either.
    Amazing what adding those two players did to rise that team up.

So it's a fair point... long-term... NYR does have to solve their C1/C2 issue.
    For now, I think they draft Laf, bridge Strome, and prepare to back the truck up for Zibanejad.
    I agree. I think this is what makes someone like Byfield so much more important to a team to draft this year. We all know how hard it is for teams to acquire that 1C that so many teams desire and require. They are damn near impossible to get unless you draft them. Even then, there's no guarantees but it's still the easier of routes to go when it comes to finding those guys. The best chance (short of drafting them), if you are going to trade for them, is to do it early in their careers and hope they blossom into it. Somewhat like what happened with Zibanejad. Once they blossom, the price makes it almost impossible for teams to pry them away.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."