Thread: Contraction Advice (Not the 'I'm Having a Baby' Kind)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Contraction Advice (Not the 'I'm Having a Baby' Kind)

Happy summer everyone! I hope you're all staying well. This is for the league in my signature. We've had 2 GM's departures this year, and rather than filling them with random people, the remaining 10 GM's would like to consider contracting the league from 12 teams down to 10. I'm the Commissioner for the league (entering it's 14th season), and for anyone that's gone through contraction before, I have two questions:

1. We're a partial keeper (keep 9) league. What's the fairest way to deal with the 18 "keeper quality players"?
    - Should I just make them all free agents, and they're available in next season's draft?
    - Should take this as an opportunity to rebalance the league. Maybe redistribute them through a contraction draft (take a subset of the GM's with the lowest winning % over the past X number of seasons and allow them a special 3 round draft where they can pick from just the players on the teams being eliminated...then hold the regular draft)
    - Something else?

2. At the beginning of last season, one of the GM that's now left our league traded their 2020 first round draft pick to a GM that's still playing next year. I'm completely stumped on what to do here. Technically that draft pick no longer exists since that team won't be around anymore. Any recommendations?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Contraction Advice (Not the 'I'm Having a Baby' Kind)

I'd consider contraction, but make sure people don't know anyone remotely interested in taking over a team? Obviously you can find people out here int he forums, and if it's a local league, you can aim for local people, but it's not quite the same. I will address the how to do it, after we cover the elephant in the room, that traded pick.

If you make the pick vanish for nothing, you deserve to have a 3rd team leave your league, in any way they see fit. You need to think this part through first, so you can then figure out what else to do with the rest of the moving parts. Making it vanish is voiding some portion of a trade but not the whole thing, and that is an awful idea. This isn't an instance where the league goes belly-up, so since the league is there, the pick should be as well.

If you choose to reboot the league from scratch, then making it go away is okay, as you are essentially a new league.

We had a 3 new GM's taking over 3 vacant teams thing in my main league in sig, and our commish decided to do a draft for the new teams from players on the old teams. It worked well, and people not in the draft showed up online to watch it.

I've been in probably 4-5 leagues that have had contraction in the last 35 years. Some were sim leagues, and Strat-O-Matic or Statis Pro work differently than thpical fantasy, which works differently than a computer-based league.

Simple options are:
    1. They get the pick in the order the other team would've been picking, or a supplemental 1st round pick at the end of the regular order.

2. They get an extra first round pick from a contraction draft. If you are doing a contraction draft, I would recommend against doing it with just a subset of teams. If you do that, then you run into the problem of where to draw the line for participation in said draft.

3. You could give them an extra keeper spot instead, but I think that's worse.

What I'd probably do is see if the league would prefer a contraction draft or to just make the players free agents. Figure out proposed draft paramaters first, so if that's the way it comes back, you're not winging it. From there, you can decide how to handle the pick, and present options. Some people like drafting a lot, and would prefer that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Most importantly, that first round pick, plus any other traded picks, has to remain. I would keep it relative to where it would have been, had the two teams not left. To take this away from the GM will cause issues that will be very difficult to overcome.

If I were in your situation, I would suggest a two round snake draft of the players from the vacated teams. Pick names from a hat (or, in our new, virtual world, https://www.random.org/lists/), and away you go. This draft is done before your regular off-season draft, and anyone not picked goes into the free agent pool.

Dobber Sports Titan

One thing you could do is take all of the assets the team hads had, picks including, and put them up for grabs in a separate draft. Draft picks and players could be taken, and you can decide who gets the first pick whether it's these season standings or lowest from the last few years or something.

Anyways, that would mean that all of the picks stay alive, and though it means that some teams would have extra picks at the end, that's better than getting rid of the early picks that were traded away.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Absolutely agree that traded picks have to remain with the team who traded for them. We actually do a contraction process as part of our replacement process, and we've never had an issue with just leaving the picks with the remaining teams.

Otherwise we just fold the players back into the regular draft. Also find this works well, especially if you have some competition issues at all, as it gives the bottom teams a chance to get back into the mix competitively. Or at least gives them the opportunity to do so if they want.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

pick has to remain, that's not fair to that owner and all others gotta understand. Put the players back in the draft and randomize the draft order day of.

Dobber Sports Superstar

You can't undo what has already been done. If you do, your league will likely lose another GM or two. Keep what has been done in place and take the remaining assets (players and picks) and run a contraction draft. If you draft in reverse order of finish this year that will likely be acceptable to the majority if not all of your GM's, that's fair and good for the health of the league. Good Luck, having to deal with this stuff sucks.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

The Great One

Like everyone says: put all assets (including draft picks) into the pot. Then hold a draft (1 round, 2 rounds, whatever makes sense). We ordered it based on reverse standings to rebalance league. But you could snake draft it.

Most important as Commish: develop a specific plan. And then put it before your GMs. Let them comment on it. Have a vote. (I say this assuming your league constitution does not address contraction - since I'd assume you'd follow your league rules if it captured contraction).

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks everyone. This is really great advice. I completely agree that the draft pick can’t vanish. It sounds like the best course of action is to recommend to the league:

1. Run our draft lottery, based on having 12 teams, to determine the draft order.
    2. Figure out where that traded 1st round pick would have selected if there were 12 teams.
    3. Contract and reduce the actual draft to 10 picks per round, but allow the GM with the traded 1st rounder to still pick where he would have (I.e. if he would have picked 3rd overall, he gets to select a player between the actual 2nd and 3rd overall pick in the 10 team draft).
    4. Determine league preference for contraction (separate contraction draft with just players, separate contraction draft including both picks and players (this would require us to keep it a 12 round draft), or set the contracted teams’ players as free agents and just hold one normal draft).

Importantly, discuss this all with the league, allow feedback and a vote, especially for #4. Steps 1-3 might require more of a Commissioner’s call, explaining why (vs a vote), since selfish teams will likely vote for options that are not fair to the GM with the traded 1st rounder (I.e. they might vote to delete the pick, or push it to the end of the 1st round, etc.). I think it’s my responsibility to make sure that one piece gets decided with the spirit of the league being put above any individual team.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11