Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tallon out in sunny FLA

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Tallon out in sunny FLA

Yeah... I still subscribe that Florida ends up in QC (or PQ, whatever).
    A year or two after I made that thread, Florida was granted an absolutely SWEET deal from the city of Sunrise to cover their losses... so they stayed.
    But they still have an out-clause starting in 2023, IIRC... as long as they can show $100m in losses... which they will be able to... based on pace.
    I actually think Viola gave Tallon a green light to "(OVER)SPEND"... because that leads to the losses... which are covered... so who cares!
    Viola is in his mid-60s... and he's ripe to close out some assets in his next 4-6 years.
    Part of closing something out well is ridding all of the personnel that can point fingers.
    So now's probably a good time to shift from Tallon to somebody else.

As I understand, the steps are as follows:
    1. Show $100m in losses from 2015-2022summer.
    2. Make declaration of moving in 2023summer.
    3. Play out 2022-2023.
    4. Sell. (to QC)
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...617-story.html

The team’s financial well-being is of public concern, due to the Panthers’ deal with Broward County that pays the franchise $86 million to stay in Sunrise through 2028. The agreement, voted on by Broward County commissioners in Dec. 2015, came at a time when the team’s future in the area was in doubt.

Las Vegas didn’t have a team yet. Seattle’s expansion bid hadn’t progressed. Rumors flew around Quebec City and Kansas City. The Panthers were seldom excluded from the whispers.

While the deal allowed the Panthers to stay for 13 more seasons, it also presented an out clause. If the team lost at least $100 million in the first seven seasons, it could leave prior to the ninth year (2023-24) after a year’s notice. Should the franchise’s financial fortunes remain unchanged, the situation could be triggered.

Here's the exact numbers, for clarity.
    s9: 2023-2024
    *permitted to move
    s8: 2022-2023
    *permitted to trigger out-clause if $100m or more in losses
    s7: 2021-2022
    s6: 2020-2021
    s5: 2019-2020 (est NetOpRev: -$20m... esp w/COVID lost attendance)
    s4: 2018-2019 (NetOpRev: -$21m)
    s3: 2017-2018 (NetOpRev: -$21m)
    s2: 2016-2017 (NetOpRev: -$11m)
    s1: 2015-2016 (NetOpRev: -$15m)

^Total of that works out to about -$88m, through 5 seasons.
    Easy, peezy to get to -$100m over next two seasons... enough contracts already in place.

Forbes link on CashFlow.

Dobber Sports Titan

^Is there anywhere you can lay down a bet on that happening?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Vincent Viola is a tough no nonsense owner. Driven and tough as nails.

He was selected by Trump to be Secretary of the Army, so in order to comply with Pentagon regulations he looked into divesting from the panthers. That was back in 16-17.

The 2017-18 team had 96 points and missed the playoffs and its been downhill ever since
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

I see they requested from Montreal, the chance to talk to Scott Mellanby about their vacancy and were given the go ahead. Not saying thats where they are going, but he's getting an interview.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."