Thread: Points per salary

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Points per salary

Hey all. Curious to know what are your expectations points wise (real...goals 1, assist 1) when drafting players in a cap league?

Myself for forwards I aim for 50-55 pts for players making up to $3M (under 45pts I consider bust), 60+ points for players between $3M-$5,5M, 70+ for $5,5-7M, 80+ for higher than $7M.

Defence 30+ up to $3M (less than that bust), 40+ for $3M-$5,5M, 50+ for $5,5M-$7M and 60+ for anything over $7M.

Do you have similar guidelines you use? Of course in a keeper length of contract etc also comes into play.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Points per salary

It is going to depend on the size of the league and the size of the salary cap. The great Pengwin has a paired player theory that tends to work great and I am sure you can find it somewhere in these forums if you look for it.

The numbers you have are all pretty solid. I would probably add that a 45 point player on a $1,000,000 salary is a great player in most leagues if the cap is at all constrictive.

Dobber Sports Titan

Honestly I just try to maximize every roster spot with a good value contract. Sometimes they're more expensive and sometimes they're cheaper. But the better the bargain every roster spot is, the better your team will be.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    It is going to depend on the size of the league and the size of the salary cap. The great Pengwin has a paired player theory that tends to work great and I am sure you can find it somewhere in these forums if you look for it.

The numbers you have are all pretty solid. I would probably add that a 45 point player on a $1,000,000 salary is a great player in most leagues if the cap is at all constrictive.
    Wanted to edit my reply and accidentally erased it.

Good point about league size. My keeper league (in sig) only has 7 teams with 84 players being kept.

Each I try to find a hidden gem that will overproduce for his salary. My biggest one so far was Barzal in his rookie season. A keeper like Q. Hughes is also a great thing to have.

Also every season I seem to get stuck with a few bad player slots that no matter how hard I try to fix with farm team, FAs or trades, nothing works.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Honestly I just try to maximize every roster spot with a good value contract. Sometimes they're more expensive and sometimes they're cheaper. But the better the bargain every roster spot is, the better your team will be.
    Guess different things work for different people. I've been dividing it into 4 salary catagories for years now. So when drafting I'll try to maximize each category. At the same time I make a list of what I think are the options that stand out in each category. So lets say I have 5 players available in the $6M category but only 2 players in the $3M category, I'll pick the player in the $3M category because there's a better chance one of the players in the other category will still be available come next round.

Dobber Sports Icon

I just try to draft the best player available all the time!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I just try to draft the best player available all the time!!!
    Can't really do that in my league because every season some very good players remain undrafted because most GMs shy away from high salaries.

Last season Tavares, Marner and Matthews remained available all season. Last draft I picked Carlson in the 4th round and McDavid in the 5th. Both were calculated risks. McDavid had been owned and traded a few times in the 3 first seasons, and I knew those who owned him had a hard time balancing out rest of salaries.

Dobber Sports Icon

If Tavares, Marner and Matthews are not drafted in your league, you need to adjust the league settings as they were 3 of the top 38 scorers in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If Tavares, Marner and Matthews are not drafted in your league, you need to adjust the league settings as they were 3 of the top 38 scorers in the NHL.
    Honestly I don't think we need to adjust the settings, I think the GMs need to adjust their strategies.

I love having a salary cap league where you need to balance things out salary wise. I was able to win this season with McDavid, Eichel, Crosby, Pastrnak and Carlson in my lineup. Had to balance out with cheap salaries like Barzal, Thomas, Q. Hughes and a cheap salary goalie tandem.

If only the best high salary players are chosen, I find it takes away from the fun of having to research rookies and under the radar players with low salaries to find the hidden gems that might make a difference in winning or losing your league.

Dobber Sports Icon

There's a fine line between overpriced players not being useful and the NHL's stars not being useful. If the league's 3rd leading goal scorer is not in your league, then I think you've gone too far. That is just my opinion of course.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

There's a fine line between overpriced players not being useful and the NHL's stars not being useful. If the league's 3rd leading goal scorer is not in your league, then I think you've gone too far. That is just my opinion of course.
    I respect your opinion and you're not the first to have brought this up. 😀

Myself I love our system and I think the NHL salary cap for 20 rostered players is just fine as it is. It's only a 7 team League. Every GM has different strategies. One in our league wanted nothing to do with players over about $6M.

Anywho thanks for the feedback.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The one cap league I'm in is 12 team multicat with daily starts, but our cap is very loose. $122M for 18 skaters, 2 goalies, and 2 bench. 53 in our minors, and you can promote/demote freely anyone at $3M or under.

I prioritize that $3M and under area, since it gives me flexibility, but over and above the cap room, although being able to deal with cap strapped teams is useful, or for a guy who is overpaid, but not horribly so.

I do think your point totals are issues when dealing with ELC players, or anyone with a six digit salary. A 35-40 point forward is a good deal there, especially on a ELC, since they are young and likely growing.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I do think your point totals are issues when dealing with ELC players, or anyone with a six digit salary. A 35-40 point forward is a good deal there, especially on a ELC, since they are young and likely growing.
    Great point and I completely agree. When in a win now scenario though I feel you can't take on too many of those and you have to make them count by counter balancing with the most productive options possible.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Great point and I completely agree. When in a win now scenario though I feel you can't take on too many of those and you have to make them count by counter balancing with the most productive options possible.
    It depends on where in the ELC they are, however. We can all agree that from the 2018 draft, Dahlin, BTkachuk, QHughes, ASvechnikov are slam dunks. It's the Kotkaniemi & Farabee types that you need to think about where an expected 30 with upside on the ELC may be a good move.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

For a points only league, the typical rule of thumb that floats around these parts is $100,000 per point. So a $5,000,000 player should get you at least 50 points. From this viewpoint, I totally understand why Tavares, Matthews, and Marner weren't drafted in your league. Neither of them are reaching this $100,000/point standard. In a shallow league, there are simply far more, much better options.

Of course, league settings add huge variances, especially for multi-cat leagues or cap hit vs salary. In a small like league like yours, those points/$ expectations should be raised (which you have done - ex. you want a 50 point player for $3 M). Chuck and steve are correct about top ELC players being the most valuable, and I will use them to justify a larger cap hit - I have Quinn Hughes so I can also have John Carlson, and combined, it's two elite defensemen for an average of $4.5 M.

You mentioned tiering players and drafting from a tier that is almost depleted rather than a tier with several more players remaining. This is a great strategy to use, and one that I don't think the majority of owners make the effort to prepare for. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.