Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Lafrenière Lottery

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: The Lafrenière Lottery

I think I missed something here. What is the issue with having right handed centremen?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think I missed something here. What is the issue with having right handed centremen?
    To be honest, I am not sure but I do know teams like to have a lefty and a righty to take certain draws in certain places. I was just pointing out that their top two centers are both righties. I don't know what donpaulo meant when he said Zibanejad being a righty complicates things.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Strome is also a right handed center.
    Yet another reason why he is probably not going to be with the team.

I also neglected to mention that Kreider will likely be the forward to move over to the right side
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

Well if the center is passing for a shot on their forehand vs a backhanded one. How much mustard can they really put on a backhanded pass ? not to mention curvature...

It also stands to reason that a right handed center is going to optimally shoot from a different position than a lefty would

In the grand flowing scheme of things and quick play of hockey the pivots handedness probably isn't that much of a factor, especially at the NHL level, but for positioning on the powerplay, set plays, the aforementioned draws it is a factor

Zib is passing from his forehand to the left side. That is all I was mentioning
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Titan

I wonder if there is any weight to that theory. Would be interesting to look into seeing which winger does better based on the handedness of the centre.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

There's an interesting read on The Athletic today about the chances NYR might listen to offers on the 1st overall, primarily from LA (who has #2) and Ottawa. In this article, they question Brian Burke about it. As Burkie says in the article: “The answer is: They’ve got to listen,” said former NHL general manager Brian Burke.

It would be interesting to see if that could/would happen. LA could certainly put together a solid little package for flip picks seeing as they have one of the deepest prospect pools out there today.

Burkie also added: “If someone is going to come after that pick hard, you generally get some offers.” Burke paused and added, “They’re generally garbage.” LOL!!!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If I was the NYR, I would seriously consider (and probably ultimately accept) 3 and 5 for 1. Stutzle/Byfield and then Rossi/Holtz/Raymond (presuming they don’t feel they need Drysdale).

Stutzle/Rossi solves the center depth issue quick.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If I was the NYR, I would seriously consider (and probably ultimately accept) 3 and 5 for 1. Stutzle/Byfield and then Rossi/Holtz/Raymond (presuming they don’t feel they need Drysdale).

Stutzle/Rossi solves the center depth issue quick.
    I wonder what LA would be willing to add to #2 to flip picks. I'm assuming not much but still curious.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I wonder what LA would be willing to add to #2 to flip picks. I'm assuming not much but still curious.
    their cupboard is stocked... do you think they would be willing to move any of these prospects with #2 for #1 and another later pick or something?

Akil Thomas
    Rasmus Kupari
    Carl Grundstrom
    Alex Turcotte
    Arhtur Kaliyev
    Tyler Madden.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

A few obvious but still relevant points I think worth mentioning

NY understands the situation at #1 having just dealt with NJD from the previous draft and watching K24 fall into their hands. I'm also fairly certain they listened to a number of offers for the #2 overall pick as well. This isn't the braintrusts first rodeo.

The Rangers have a pretty stocked cupboard themselves after the letter and the selling off of players for additional picks/assets. A great example being the Kevin Hayes for Lemieux plus picks deal that became even more interesting after the Trouba transaction.

They also managed to get Panarin to sign.

So I don't think NY is necessarily looking for more prospects. Would they hear out a LA offer including one ? certainly, most likely because they view another player as having more "upside" or a "better fit" than Lafrieniere. Not because they need more wood for the prospect fire so to speak. In fact Morgan Barron just signed with the club to give them another center.

I believe and am pretty sure most here agree that Zibanejad is top dog. The question is Chytil and the best fit for him over the next season or two.
    As a close watcher of the team I can tell you that both he and K24 grew. They were bigger and stronger. Soon they are going to shed the checks that hamper their lines, but its going to be a season or 3 more until the bread has properly risen.

Plugging Lafrieniere portside with Kakko make for some excellent bookends down the road. Most would agree with that assessment n'est ce pas ?

The odds favor NY standing pat and taking Alexis. Yup Byfield is intriguing for sure. Younger and playing the premium position too.

I've been following the team since the mid 70s and its been a long run of marginal talent teams. The fans have endured the 1940 chants from icelander fans and those critical of the stupid contract money they threw at over the hill veterans.
    Now however this team looks really strong and are improving.
    They are building things the right way.
    The coach understands younger players and enough veterans are still around to be leaders.
    They have a season or two to get out from under the remaining cap mistakes of the past.
    Once that is complete there are once again going to be boatload of bandwagon fans.
    Its just the nature of NY sports.

NY deserves the top pick and a strong NY team is good for the league, just as a good LA team is too.

Dobber Sports Star

Lafreniere and K'Andre Miller for Byfield and Turcotte, who says no?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Lafreniere and K'Andre Miller for Byfield and Turcotte, who says no?
    I'd say NY says no, but the hell knows LOL!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    A few obvious but still relevant points I think worth mentioning

NY understands the situation at #1 having just dealt with NJD from the previous draft and watching K24 fall into their hands. I'm also fairly certain they listened to a number of offers for the #2 overall pick as well. This isn't the braintrusts first rodeo.

The Rangers have a pretty stocked cupboard themselves after the letter and the selling off of players for additional picks/assets. A great example being the Kevin Hayes for Lemieux plus picks deal that became even more interesting after the Trouba transaction.

They also managed to get Panarin to sign.

So I don't think NY is necessarily looking for more prospects. Would they hear out a LA offer including one ? certainly, most likely because they view another player as having more "upside" or a "better fit" than Lafrieniere. Not because they need more wood for the prospect fire so to speak. In fact Morgan Barron just signed with the club to give them another center.

I believe and am pretty sure most here agree that Zibanejad is top dog. The question is Chytil and the best fit for him over the next season or two.
    As a close watcher of the team I can tell you that both he and K24 grew. They were bigger and stronger. Soon they are going to shed the checks that hamper their lines, but its going to be a season or 3 more until the bread has properly risen.

Plugging Lafrieniere portside with Kakko make for some excellent bookends down the road. Most would agree with that assessment n'est ce pas ?

The odds favor NY standing pat and taking Alexis. Yup Byfield is intriguing for sure. Younger and playing the premium position too.

I've been following the team since the mid 70s and its been a long run of marginal talent teams. The fans have endured the 1940 chants from icelander fans and those critical of the stupid contract money they threw at over the hill veterans.
    Now however this team looks really strong and are improving.
    They are building things the right way.
    The coach understands younger players and enough veterans are still around to be leaders.
    They have a season or two to get out from under the remaining cap mistakes of the past.
    Once that is complete there are once again going to be boatload of bandwagon fans.
    Its just the nature of NY sports.

NY deserves the top pick and a strong NY team is good for the league, just as a good LA team is too.
    I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but wasn't Chytil playing the wing in the playins? Or was he still playing center. For some reason I was thinking he was on the wing.

I really like the upside of Morgan Barron (the kid is from Halifax after all) but not sure he fits the mold of a 2C but who knows.

Dobber Sports Stud

I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but wasn't Chytil playing the wing in the playins? Or was he still playing center. For some reason I was thinking he was on the wing.

I really like the upside of Morgan Barron (the kid is from Halifax after all) but not sure he fits the mold of a 2C but who knows.
    Chytil started the Carolina series at center.
    Note that he won't turn 21 until September and when in the AHL was among the youngest if not the youngest player in that league at the time.

Coach really liked what Brett Howden was showing at 4C and when Carolina started to put their foot onto NY's throat, the Quinn decided to move Howden up to 3c and shift Chytil over to wing.

Its been a bit of an issue since

If Chytil really is to be part of the core at center why is coach moving him to wing ?

My hunch, (that is really all it is) tells me coach feels Filip can easily move over to wing when another player is displaying the kind of moxie Quinn prefers.
    Howden played quite often on the wing this past season too.
    So Brett Howden rose to the occasion and displayed the kind of effort that NY wanted so coach rewarded him with more ice time. Rather than demote Chytil he just moved him over to the wing.

Regarding Barron, I think NY is eyeing him as a 3C and plan to let him, Chytil, Andersson and whomever comes to camp battle it out for 2C. The million dollar question is how the Strome negotiations go...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Chytil started the Carolina series at center.
    Note that he won't turn 21 until September and when in the AHL was among the youngest if not the youngest player in that league at the time.

Coach really liked what Brett Howden was showing at 4C and when Carolina started to put their foot onto NY's throat, the Quinn decided to move Howden up to 3c and shift Chytil over to wing.

Its been a bit of an issue since

If Chytil really is to be part of the core at center why is coach moving him to wing ?

My hunch, (that is really all it is) tells me coach feels Filip can easily move over to wing when another player is displaying the kind of moxie Quinn prefers.
    Howden played quite often on the wing this past season too.
    So Brett Howden rose to the occasion and displayed the kind of effort that NY wanted so coach rewarded him with more ice time. Rather than demote Chytil he just moved him over to the wing.

Regarding Barron, I think NY is eyeing him as a 3C and plan to let him, Chytil, Andersson and whomever comes to camp battle it out for 2C. The million dollar question is how the Strome negotiations go...
    Thanks. I thought I remembered him on the wing.

I agree with you about Barron although he will have competition. A lot will depend on what happens with Andersson. For a team thin on centers the last thing they need to be doing is trading them away, especially ones they drafted in the top 10 and have high expectations for.

Right now, in their system, I think they love to see Zibanejad, Chytil, Andersson and Howden as their future down the middle but not sure it's going to be that way in three years time.