Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New League Draft Advice

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default New League Draft Advice

24 Team Dynasty(NHL Cap + 15%) H2H Cats - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    G & A = 2
    SOG, STP, FOW, HIT, BLK = 1
    W = 2
    SV%, GAA, SV = 1

Currently just in the opening rounds of our inaugural draft. So far I drafted Pettersson rd1 but I'm torn on my 2nd pick. Thanks to 7 goalies being taken rd1 (seems like some teams may take goalies with their first two picks) there's lots of top end skaters left, but I'm worried if I don't take a goalie now I'll have slim pickings later on.

Currently considering (still a few picks away):

Forwards: Marchand, Guentzel, Laine

Defence: Dahlin, Josi, Hedman

Goalie: Andersen, Kuemper, Markstrom, Korpisalo

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: New League Draft Advice

Curious how 7 goalies have been taken and those are now the best options left. Any of Shesty, Sorokin, Saros, Samsonov, Binnington left? Assuming Hart, Vas, and Helle are off the board.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Curious how 7 goalies have been taken and those are now the best options left. Any of Shesty, Sorokin, Saros, Samsonov, Binnington left? Assuming Hart, Vas, and Helle are off the board.
    Vas, Helle, Hart, Gibson, Binnington, Blackwood and Saros went in that order. As for the metro russian trio, we're doing two drafts to start the league separating out prospects. The current draft is for skaters > 82gp and goalies > 41gp. I have the 12th overall pick for the prospect draft so I don't think I can bank on getting one of Shesty, Sorokin, etc.

Dobber Sports Stud

Is this a dynasty or keeper draft? If dynasty, and 24 teams I can see how getting shut out seems scary, but there’s no way I’d pass up Marchand, Guentzel, Laine, Josi.....
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Is this a dynasty or keeper draft? If dynasty, and 24 teams I can see how getting shut out seems scary, but there’s no way I’d pass up Marchand, Guentzel, Laine, Josi.....
    Sorry, edited the top post to clarify. Dynasty.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ah okay. Well how would you feel about stacking Petersen and Stalock later in the draft to have the most economic goalie tandem and running on skaters early? That's an option.

Andersen, Rittich, Kuemper, Francouz/Grubauer, Merz/Korpi would probably be the next best options if you really feel like you want a goalie.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Ah okay. Well how would you feel about stacking Petersen and Stalock later in the draft to have the most economic goalie tandem and running on skaters early? That's an option.
    Definitely an idea. In a points league I wouldn't care as much where the points come from, but in a category league I'm not sure how well a tandem like that will pair up against other teams. I can't see Peterson + Stalock beating out too many other pairings for most wins or GAA on a weekly basis.

Right now I'm thinking of taking Andersen if he lasts and if not going for Marchand/Dahlin and loading up on skaters for another round or 2.

Dobber Sports Stud

Backups likely to get 30+ starts - and available beyond the first (and second?) rush: Jake Allen, Brian Elliott, Alexandr Georgiev (where?), Jack Campbell. Jake Oettinger? You’ll have better scoring, and not suffer for it. Let the shiny toys go elsewhere.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jshed2 View Post
    Definitely an idea. In a points league I wouldn't care as much where the points come from, but in a category league I'm not sure how well a tandem like that will pair up against other teams. I can't see Peterson + Stalock beating out too many other pairings for most wins or GAA on a weekly basis.

Right now I'm thinking of taking Andersen if he lasts and if not going for Marchand/Dahlin and loading up on skaters for another round or 2.
    With skaters like that I would take them and wait for some value goalies.
    If you aren't comfortable with Stalock/Petersen, your best bet is Francouz/Grubauer, who you could wait at least a few rounds on.

Francouz I think is statistically more valuable, and as a spoiler, looks to be in the top five on my preliminary work of the Goalie Cap Rankings list.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd load up on skaters, and deal with value goalies later. Don't forget that Elvis is also in that prospect draft at under 41 games played.

Amazingly with that name, he seems to not have name recognition.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Load up on skaters and worry about goalies much later in the draft. There are always a handful of goalies that come out of nowhere to have value. That can't be said for skaters. I would be picking Dahlin as soon as possible.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Load up on skaters and worry about goalies much later in the draft. There are always a handful of goalies that come out of nowhere to have value. That can't be said for skaters. I would be picking Dahlin as soon as possible.
    I agree, hold off on goalies and if Dahlin is available that who is I’d draft.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sawch View Post
    I agree, hold off on goalies and if Dahlin is available that who is I’d draft.
    I agree I like Dahlin best, but I'm wondering if he might slip to round three while Marchand definitely won't.

Dobber Sports Icon

Marchand and Dahlin would definitely be my top two targets of the people you listed. Hopefully you know your league well enough to decide if a 32 year old superstar or a 20 year old potential superstar will last until the next round.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Dahlin for sure, that's good advice.
    Disregard his stats to this point... think of that as a wonderful thing that he may slide to you!!!