Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: one goalie starter position verses 2

Dobber Sports Master

Default one goalie starter position verses 2

hey guys I filled a new dynasty league up and we've decided to just have 1 starting goalie verses the traditional 2 .Its just a 12 team league with 30 regular roster / 20 total starters / 10 bench and a 30 man farm team .

what has been your experiences so far if your league uses 1 starter ? Is there less goalie hoarding , or even more ? Are there more half decent free agent options on the wire ? Do most gm's try to draft or aquire their main goalies handcuff to get more total starts from same team etc..

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: one goalie starter position verses 2

Any reason why you chose to only go with one starting G over two in a league that small?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

For a 12 team league, 2G is the right number. Once you get over 16 then 1G makes sense. Haven't had great experiences where those models aren't followed. It overvalues or devalues the positions to ridiculous lengths.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm in a league that's 16 teams, weekly locked rosters, 2 starting goalies.

You only make the playoffs when you have 2 starting goalies. It's almost impossible without 2 goalies.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Have you done the draft yet?
    Sounds like you have the GMs but you're still sorting out the rules.

If I'm drafting there I don't take a goalie until round 15 at the earliest. They are going to be so cheap to acquire unless you require at least 4 starts per week to guarantee that at least two goalies are rostered per team. Otherwise I would just let people draft all the goalies, find the team that drafted three like Binnington, Kuemper, and Mrazek. Trade pennies for Mrazek, pick Reimer up off the FA pile, and there's my goalie starts covered without sacrificing anything from the skater categories which have more away in the standings anyways. With some luck added, there's a year 1 victory.

- - - Updated - - -

What I'm trying to say is that it probably shouldn't be that easy...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Initiate

In my league we cut 50% of the points of the second goalie so it still has a bit of value but not enough that people jump on every players that put on a set of pads.
    We also an emphasis on defensive stats so that 3rd liners and 5-6 defensemen in the NHL that play very well defensively are worth more. Gets closer to reallity IMO.
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    In my league we cut 50% of the points of the second goalie so it still has a bit of value but not enough that people jump on every players that put on a set of pads.
    We also an emphasis on defensive stats so that 3rd liners and 5-6 defensemen in the NHL that play very well defensively are worth more. Gets closer to reallity IMO.
    thats an interesting option . so you basically have a Goalie#1 that gets full compliment of the stat multiplier and Goalie#2 that receives half .

so for example G1 gets 5 for a win while G2 gets 2.5

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Any reason why you chose to only go with one starting G over two in a league that small?
    you can almost say its a reboot . starting fresh with many of the core gm's from 2 past leagues but we've taken some of the items out that we didnt like and added some that we'd like to test out .

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My 2 cents:

12-team league, start 2G. (24G starters)
    14... 2G (28G)
    16... 2G (32G)
    20... 1G (20G)
    24... 1G (24G)
    30... 1G (30G)
    32... 1G (32G)

Once Seattle enters the NHL, there'll be 32 NHL teams, so 32 #1 NHL goalies.
    A fantasy league should not exceed that 32G "in play"... nor should they be less than half (16).

You want goalies to have good "asset value"... and you best do this with the quantities above.
    A 12-team start 1G league is going to make goalie value VERY LOW/MINIMAL... and you won't enjoy the league when there's solid goalies available for free on the wire at all times.

Dobber Sports Master

my strategy is to draft main goalie and his handcuff and a goalie with a typical good off-night sked .

so lets say Vasilevskiy + his handcuff + John Gibson .

and with a 10 man bench I might even grab a Mrazek for insurance .

so if everyone had similar strategy thats 36 goalies

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    my strategy is to draft main goalie and his handcuff and a goalie with a typical good off-night sked .

so lets say Vasilevskiy + his handcuff + John Gibson .

and with a 10 man bench I might even grab a Mrazek for insurance .

so if everyone had similar strategy thats 36 goalies
    Everyone won't though, that's the thing. You spend two decent picks on your goalies, and I use my strategy from above and my skaters easily cover yours, then I just need a decent start from my Carolina handcuff (not too tough to see) and my team takes yours down in H2H.

Dobber Sports Titan

With one goalie slot your league will average two goalies owned per GM. That means about 25 goalies owned. You have guys like Allen, Reimer, Dubnyk, Koskinen, etc just sitting on the waiver wire. I might even run zero goalies here, play with two more skaters than every other team, and stream in my 2-3 starts for the week. A team doing that could easily win more weeks than they lose.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like leagues where it's as close to reality has possible. And in the NHL second goalie are important, but not as much as let's say a second line center.
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My 2 cents:

12-team league, start 2G. (24G starters)
    14... 2G (28G)
    16... 2G (32G)
    20... 1G (20G)
    24... 1G (24G)
    30... 1G (30G)
    32... 1G (32G)

Once Seattle enters the NHL, there'll be 32 NHL teams, so 32 #1 NHL goalies.
    A fantasy league should not exceed that 32G "in play"... nor should they be less than half (16).

You want goalies to have good "asset value"... and you best do this with the quantities above.
    A 12-team start 1G league is going to make goalie value VERY LOW/MINIMAL... and you won't enjoy the league when there's solid goalies available for free on the wire at all times.
    This. a 12-team league should have 2G spots leading to all or almost all the NHL starters on active rosters..
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

In a league this size, the one goalie thing sucks the value from the goalies all together. I see a lot of WW moves for G's in this league for teams looking for starts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."