Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: one goalie starter position verses 2

The Great One

Default Re: one goalie starter position verses 2

I've played in these leagues for awhile. The flip side is with a large bench (10), goalie hoarding (and goalie values) are absolutely ridiculous.

We also toyed with max GP starts (either per week, or per season) to limit goalie values to something "reasonable"

Dobber Sports Master

I still think the guys in the league will keep more goalies than they need mainly because of the 10 reserve spots . It might take a season or two of lessons learned before they see the value in only having a 2-3 G rotation with the one starter spot and use that other spot on a forward with a good off night sked .

theres no way it takes 15 rounds for the first goalie to be draft . I have 2nd overall and might consider grabbing my goalie that early because the ones I'd like to hang my hat on as ''my guy'' might not be there when the draft snakes back to me in round 2 .

this league also wont have the ability to freely stream a goalie from your fantrax minor section to regular section either so thats another reason why the veteran goalies free agent heap might not be as deep either .

Dobber Sports Titan

Oh I expect everyone else to still draft like normal, I'm just explaining how I would game the system in your league. Someone will probably wait on goalies until at least round 8, and I bet you that team ends up winning the championship in year 2 and/or 3.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

A gm that takes a stud goalie earlier than most could be just as wise at building his f/d through the draft as the guy who takes a stud f in round 1 but waits until round 8 to draft g.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    A gm that takes a stud goalie earlier than most could be just as wise at building his f/d through the draft as the guy who takes a stud f in round 1 but waits until round 8 to draft g.
    Not saying you're wrong, just explaining what I would be doing and that I find with this kind of opportunity, zig zagging away from the rest of the group proves to be very lucrative. Seems like you're set with your strategy, and it will probably still work well for you
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think it can work either way, I liken it to starting 1 QB or 2 QB in a NFL fantasy league. Basically same ratio, 31 NHL teams as of now versus 32 NFL teams. However, 2 QB is slightly more problematic, with bye weeks, and the fact that one rarely sees 2 QB from the same team getting playing time in a league week, due to their being only 1 game. Therefore 2 QB is more problematic in a league witht he same number of teams, since backup QB are basically just insurance, whereas backup goalies get starts.

My experience in football has shown that with 2 QB, 10 teams is fine. 12 is okay, but tough if you have bad luck, and 14 is awful, use only 1 QB.

I only have experience in 12 team hockey fantasy, but with both 1 & 2 goaie leagues. I'm in a 12 team league that has been around 25 years (league in sig), and we have one starter, and it works fine. However, we do have some other wrinkles that make it very non-standard.

Notably, we use 1 game per record per week per NHL team. So no player dresses more than once, even if they get traded during the week. Since your starting goalie may not play, we have backup goalie spots. Also, you need to dress at least 2 D from the same team as your starting goalie.

For a more standard league with weekly starts, I think you likely want 2G at 12 teams, but you can always tweak it later. I'd be convinced you want 2G starting in a 10 team league, and 1 in a 16 team league, and I could see 14 going either way.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

A league that size should have 2G positions.

I would never draft a handcuff goalie unless I thought he was the best goalie still available. Why would I limit myself to 1 starting goalie when I could draft someone on another team and hope for 2 starters.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    A league that size should have 2G positions.

I would never draft a handcuff goalie unless I thought he was the best goalie still available. Why would I limit myself to 1 starting goalie when I could draft someone on another team and hope for 2 starters.
    there seems to be more load splitting so your getting the full 82 games if you draft the tandem and you have time to watch for who's starting that day .

thats why I'd have that strategy of a tandem that plays often on tue-thur-sat (keep an eye on starter sites) and the main starter on a team with heavy sun-mon-wed-fri sked .

fwiw , we had considered being a 14 team league which promted the 1 g starter position discussion but we walked back to 12.

the most interesting thought so far was the poster that mentioned the second goalie starter spot in his league only receives 50% of the stat multipliers compared to his main goalie starter spot . I think this could easily be customized at fantrax .