Thread: Thinking about my goalie situation going into next season - what to do with Matt Murray?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Thinking about my goalie situation going into next season - what to do with Matt Murray?

Note: League not in signature.

I'm in a 12 team salary cap league, starting 2G, 6D, 12F with a 2 person bench, and 53 minor spots; roster total is 75. 5 IR slots. Minors are AHL style, no restrictions on player type at all; movement up/down is subject to waivers if players make over $3M. Cap is $122M, and I'm one of the teams with the most free cap space on my active roster, I am just over $100M. Daily starts.

Goalie Categories are: WINS, SV%, GAA, SHUTOUTS
    Skater Categories are: GOALS, ASSISTS, POINTS, PIM, SOG, (HIT+BLK)

I took this team over a couple years ago, and rebuilt it to the point that I finished first in the regular season this year. My goalie roster is as follows, with contract info. Free agents show 2019-2020 salary.

Sabres Goalies2.pdf

Free agents at the top. Players who would need to clear waivers to get demoted are the next group, followed by the guys who can move freely up & down.

What I did this year was to keep Murray on main roster, benching him as needed, which was often. Acquire Greiss, keeping him on main roster, and use him as my main goalie. Shuttle Nilsson, Stalock, Elvis, and eventually Igor into the lineup as I could to get quantity and quality. Do the same with Elliott & McElhinney to a lesser extent. Goalie total stats placed 8th of 12 in the league.

Next year, I will need to keep Elvis on the main roster. I feel very comfortable with my stable of goalies that I can shuttle. I am hoping Greiss signs cheaply enough that I can do the same with him; I expect Elliott to be under $3M. Reimer can sit on my bench in case of emergency, as nobody's likely claiming him.

My main question is what to do with Matt Murray? He was more erratic and unreliable this year than in years past. He's also injury-prone, which honestly helps me stash him when he's hurt.

Do you think he will be worth keeping as a main roster goalie, and just continue what worked this year, with Elvis in place of Greiss?
    Or will he be more of a keeper, but leave stashed in minors to see if he regains more control of the crease and thus value?
    Or should I try and trade him for a skater and/or a cheaper goalie who I can shuttle freely? this would likely happen when the season rolls over?

Thoughts welcome, rep gladly given.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Thinking about my goalie situation going into next season - what to do with Matt Murray?

It depends on what you can get in return for Murray. What would that look like?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Thinking about my goalie situation going into next season - what to do with Matt Murray?

I think you need to see what Murray does in the playoffs. Does eell--id deal him. Has a bad postseason and I think you keep him and hope for the best as his value is lower.

I'm not a fan of his so I'd try and deal him. You have shesty Elvis and stalock ++. I'd shop him but I wouldn't sell too low in hopes he makes a run

Dobber Sports Monster

Trade value for him is low at moment.
    I have no problem wanting to deal him.
    Best bet, hold off for now, see if he can get back to better value then float him around your league.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It depends on what you can get in return for Murray. What would that look like?
    When I joined this league I got one reasonably solid offer when shopping him in November 2018:
    My Murray, Grabner, and Stralman (then TB) for Rakell, Lehner (then NYI), Copley, and a non-premium pick. I declined, but in hindsight, it probably would've been a good move, since Lehner has been better than Murray. Neither Grabner nor Stralman are still on my roster, while the other team still has those 3 guys, albeit with a new GM in place.

Looking back at that year in hindsight, I had a trade or two offered that I should've taken, but most of what I declined I am glad I declined. There were a couple offers where I would've given up picks & younger players for expensive older players, but I passed, since I didn't see the team contending soon, I was wrong about the speed I could it turned around, honestly.

For those who suggested waiting to see if he goes on a run in the playoffs, that makes sense, especially since our trade deadline has passed, and the new season's site isn't up yet.

If he doesn't go on a run, what kind of package would you guys I should look for? I suspect I could get something like that 2018 return for a similar package, where I give up something like Murray, Athanasiou, and Hampus Lindholm (to have similar value skaters) for a better quality skater than I give, a goalie in a muddled situation, and a pick/prospect or two.

I found the league through these forums, but I'm not worried about discussing this sort of stuff openly.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think his value will increase if/when the Pens go deeper into the playoffs, and this is assuming he's still manning the helm.

I'd sit on him for a bit longer and see how the Pens do in the playoffs. If they start winning a series or two, put him out there and hope someone bites with a solid offer. Timing is everything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Agree with everything Axeman said. Murray's better than he was this season but I don't think he's a top 20 goalie in the NHL. If you can get better value than that for him, pull the trigger.

With Murray getting pulled, and Pittsburgh eliminated, I'm going to wait on shopping him, as I think now is probably a bad time. Anyone disagree?

Dobber Sports Sage

Check in with the Lehner owner. He is criminally undervalued right now. You might be able to pull that swap.