Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

So for arguments sake, we all agree that this is Alexis Lafreniere.

I have the 2nd, 9th, and 14th picks, plus some good prospects on my development roster:

Hughes
    Kakko
    Foudy
    Podkolzin
    Boqvist
    Ty Smith
    Broberg
    Poulin
    Lundestrom

I don't think he will move the 1st, but what package would you want to see as return to entice you to move it?
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

2nd, 9th and Kakko would definitely make me think. On the other side though I don't think I would pay that much to move up to first.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

Ya, thats exactly what I'm thinking. I really like the fact that Lafreniere is a very unique position in being drafted to a team not considered a bottom feeder. That, plus the flat cap era we are stuck in, means that teams will look to young, cheap talent to help on the ice and on the books. He will make an impact right away, and be given potentially very good line mates and opportunities, depending where he gets drafted to, and be successful, whereas many of my Prospect roster may not, and will take more time at the very least.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    2nd, 9th and Kakko would definitely make me think. On the other side though I don't think I would pay that much to move up to first.
    Seems like way too much to me. I'm not even sure if I'd do Kakkko and 2nd. Of course it's really hard not knowing how the keepers work for prospects...

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm just not to sure what you are looking to do is a good idea. Take Byfield, what should be a sure fire NHL player at 9 and whatever falls to the 14th which in this draft still isn't to shabby. That ought to make your development roster look pretty damn amazing if you ask me. I like Alexis, but I'm not giving up, to use the example above, Byfield, Kakko and a 9th to secure that upgrade, way too rich in my opinion, just not a goo idea.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

10 spots on Prospect roster. Forwards and D can be held for 4 years, goaltenders for 5 years, before graduating to the active roster and getting hit with 10% salary increases every year.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

I wouldn't offer 2,9, and Kakko because I'm afraid he'd accept and that's too much. Take out Kakko and put in Podkolzin or TSmith and see if that tempts him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Seems like way too much to me. I'm not even sure if I'd do Kakkko and 2nd. Of course it's really hard not knowing how the keepers work for prospects...
    I'm not sure I would either. But if I have Laf I feel like I would need that much in order to trade it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    Ya, thats exactly what I'm thinking. I really like the fact that Lafreniere is a very unique position in being drafted to a team not considered a bottom feeder. That, plus the flat cap era we are stuck in, means that teams will look to young, cheap talent to help on the ice and on the books. He will make an impact right away, and be given potentially very good line mates and opportunities, depending where he gets drafted to, and be successful, whereas many of my Prospect roster may not, and will take more time at the very least.
    Your likely right about Lafreniere here. Problem is, this absolutely applies to both Hughes and to Kakko who are both further along the development curve and are both IMO as equally talented. Moving Byfield and Kakko or Hughes for Alexis just doesn't make sense IMO. However, if we take both Hughes and Kakko out of the equation then offering the second and a package of any of your other rookies might make sense. I'd go that route. The second, Pods and Smith for example. I doubt the other guy goes for it, in which case as I said before, keep what you have and don't over reach for Lafreniere.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lafreniere's potential situation is the reason I see his impact being much bigger and quicker than that of the prospects on my roster. Hughes in particular, may have the skill, but in New Jersey, and given his supporting cast, it may be a few more years before he starts to pay the dividends projected in his draft year.

That's the whole point of why Lafreniere is so valuable. Some would suggest that Byfield will be the better NHLer, and will have the higher ceiling, but that could be 5 years down the line.

Not all highly touted prospects pay off right away, and some don't ever live up to the hype. That's the only reason I am as high on Lafreniere, in a keeper league, given his skill level, and more importantly the situation he will be drafted into, makes him incredibly high value, and able to be an impact guy form day 1.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

I doubt this gets done at all, but I'll play along with what I'd pay for Laf.

Kakko
    9th
    1 or 2 more pieces- Anything you mentioned other than Hughes or 2 overall.

I think Laf is definitely an upgrade over Kakko (I think Kakko turns out great but not the same level as Laf). Laf is a sure fire stud.

I'll pay for quality over quantity.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Im not sure anything gets done either, but that was the function of my post, to see what you do if you had the 1st overall, and what it would take to get you to move it, plus opinions on would the cost be worth it?

Thanks for reply, I may just give it a shot.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

If I had the 1st, I'd probably want something like:
    2nd / Hughes + 9th/kakko + 14th/boqvist(assuming this is Adam)

Not saying I'd pay that much though

Dobber Sports Deity

Im all for chasing Lafreniere because I am also a believer, but I am also a realist. How many here last year prior to the draft, and shortly after, had guys like Kakko and JHughes as the next great thing? A LOT! People are too quick to discard last years gold for this years gold.

We'll see it again next summer when the next group of posts will be "Byfield ++ for the 2nd overall pick". Mark my words. I've been around here long enough to see the vicious circle spin. That's why I wouldn't be so quick to trade guys like Kakko (who most thought was as close to NHL ready as there was in last years draft). People forget that these kids don't always adjust right away to the NHL. Lafreniere could be the next one to come out next year and only get 40ish points in his rookie season.

I get it, it's fun to make the big pick at the draft table, but if you are always trading away young gold for tomorrows young gold, you'll always be chasing and never winning. If I am always chasing, my teams must not be doing very well in fantasy hockey and I am clearly doing something wrong in my quest to WIN in fantasy hockey.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    This was my thinking as well. I’d do Kakko and #9 but I doubt he’d do it.

Kakko/#9/Boqvist might entice him especially if doesn’t follow best player in the deal wins. Granted, Kakko easily could become the best player with Boqvist being a notch behind Hughes/Makar. That would be tempting for me leaning towards doing it.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov