Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

Kakkko and 2nd I would take it
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: What would be enough for you to move the 1st overall pick...junior entry players only

not worth it when you're just gonna get Byfield with the next pick who may very well have a higher ceiling.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    Kakkko and 2nd I would take it
    I like this.
    Nice, some REP for you!

To OP:
    A better way to phrase the OP's ask is this:

Step 1: If you are holding the #1 pick, what does somebody have to offer to YOU - for you to give the #1 away?
    Step 2: Now, flip sides, if you are the team holding those players - are you OK moving them for Lafreniere?

I call this "wearing shoes".
    Step in each pair and try to find that middle ground where it feels "close".

People FAR, FAR, FAR too often view things from only one vantage point.
    It's one of my major pet peeves of fantasy hockey trading.

Somebody will offer me two 32-year old 2nd liners for my 27-year old 1st liner and say "I think this is fair for you."
    Then when I offer MY two 32-year old 2nd liners for THEIR 27-year old 1st liner and say "Well... would you accept this then?"... and, of course, they say "NO."
    (And then a couple GMs try to sell me on why that concept works for me... but not them... LOL. We have TWO guys like this in my favourite league!!!)

Anyways... Kakko + 2nd overall (Byfield)... for #1 (Lafreniere).... I agree.
    I think that's the best "close"... at least for me.
    I agree.
    I'm honestly not sure which one I take there...
    Laf is more of the "SURE THING"... if EITHER of Kakko or Byfield busts... then the Laf side wins this trade.
    But Kakko/Byfield has the better "UPSIDE"... if BOTH pan out decently... then Kakko/Byfield side wins.

Thumbs up.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'll only move Lafrenière if McDavid is involved. Only because I'm deadset on finally keeping a 1st overall haha! Ridiculous? Absolutely! But it'll stop me from making another dumb trade.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im all for chasing Lafreniere because I am also a believer, but I am also a realist. How many here last year prior to the draft, and shortly after, had guys like Kakko and JHughes as the next great thing? A LOT! People are too quick to discard last years gold for this years gold.

We'll see it again next summer when the next group of posts will be "Byfield ++ for the 2nd overall pick". Mark my words. I've been around here long enough to see the vicious circle spin. That's why I wouldn't be so quick to trade guys like Kakko (who most thought was as close to NHL ready as there was in last years draft). People forget that these kids don't always adjust right away to the NHL. Lafreniere could be the next one to come out next year and only get 40ish points in his rookie season.

I get it, it's fun to make the big pick at the draft table, but if you are always trading away young gold for tomorrows young gold, you'll always be chasing and never winning. If I am always chasing, my teams must not be doing very well in fantasy hockey and I am clearly doing something wrong in my quest to WIN in fantasy hockey.
    I totally agree with your points! All the talk was about Hughes and Kakko and now I would have to trade possibly both to get Lafreniere, that just isn't good managing of assets. Plus. moving prospects and picks should really be as means to acquire roster players and start building towards contending. What you said about this years gold is the point to the post, wanted to see what the values potentially could be.

All that said, I really do like Lafreniere, and he will in most cases be going to a pretty good team, and while he would still need to show he belongs, it is easier when you are playing with better line mates, and more TOI, in better situations.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    I totally agree with your points! All the talk was about Hughes and Kakko and now I would have to trade possibly both to get Lafreniere, that just isn't good managing of assets. Plus. moving prospects and picks should really be as means to acquire roster players and start building towards contending. What you said about this years gold is the point to the post, wanted to see what the values potentially could be.

All that said, I really do like Lafreniere, and he will in most cases be going to a pretty good team, and while he would still need to show he belongs, it is easier when you are playing with better line mates, and more TOI, in better situations.
    Sometimes that's not a good thing. If the team is already good that means they probably have an established top line. Believe it or not, going to a crappy team benefits him more IMO because they probably need him more.

Don't get me wrong, Lafreniere is going to be a very good player but going to a stronger team might not be a good thing for him early on.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sometimes that's not a good thing. If the team is already good that means they probably have an established top line. Believe it or not, going to a crappy team benefits him more IMO because they probably need him more.

Don't get me wrong, Lafreniere is going to be a very good player but going to a stronger team might not be a good thing for him early on.
    Agreed, especially if +/- isn't counted

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think I would trade Kahko and #2 overall for Lafreniere. I don't think I would trade #2 and #9 for Lafreniere. If I had Lafreniere, it would take more than #2 and #9 for me to make the move. This is going to make finding a deal that makes sense for you quite difficult. Keep pick #2 and home that Byfield (or Stutzle!) become a superstar.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was in similar discussion. I was talking giving up Zegras and 9th pick for 1st. Thought it was pretty steep though and wasn't sure about doing it.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Looking at this from both sides, people are often clear about what they want to do if the deal is basically position for position excluding picks: solely forwards in this case. If one wants to to muddy the waters trying to gain value in either direction, I think the way to do it is to bring a D or G into the deal.

I'm really unsure about what it would take me to deal it, as I basically never pick that high. My league in sig doesn't see missing playoffs almost ever, and it doesn't allow pick trades. In my new league, I haven't been that bad yet.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I actually dealt pick 1 in one of my leagues, along with tomasino, for pick 3, adam boqvist and jesperi kotkaniemi