Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: J. Hughes or Kakko

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default J. Hughes or Kakko

How do you guys think these two will do for points next year and the next couple seasons after? Will either take at least a decent step forward soon?

Thanks in advance, for any replies!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: J. Hughes or Kakko

Kakko has looked better in the two play in games than he has all season. Both should take some steps forward over the next few years, and I don't think they will be too far off from one another. I think Hughes still has the higher ceiling though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think where these two were drafted may actually tell the whole story when all is said and done. 1 and 2 overall, they will both be stars in this league. Their numbers should be close as they both progress toward stardom and I'm guessing that will happen for both before the "magical fourth year". I too believe Hughes has the higher upside and that's why he went first and I think that's the way it will play out. Make no mistake however, the number two guy will almost certainly be not too far behind. All speculation at this point but for what it's worth, there ya go (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

I still believe in Kakko a hair more than Hughes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

I prefer Hughes.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think that Kakko will provide better early returns, because he is surrounded by a lot more talent. If my mindset is 1-2 years, I'm taking Kakko.

Beyond that, I believe that the hype around Hughes is/was justified, and he will end up with the better career in the end.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I think that Kakko will provide better early returns, because he is surrounded by a lot more talent. If my mindset is 1-2 years, I'm taking Kakko.

Beyond that, I believe that the hype around Hughes is/was justified, and he will end up with the better career in the end.
    I’m on board with this line of thought.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Kakko more.
    He is also in the better situation for the type of players he will play with and learn from.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I prefer Hughes. I think he has a huge upside
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I prefer Kakko slightly, especially if you breakout forward positions. I think both should be better next year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hughes is going to be a scoring monster; problem is it will take some time to add some pieces around him. No one could score with that Devils team.

Kakko for the short term but I much prefer Hughes overall.

The Great One

Gusevs coming around. Hischier coming out. On top of all that Hughes may spend time on the wing. I think he has a Stamkos like sophomore year- in terms of explosion- not necessarily the type f production (aka more assists than goals). This isnt a yakupov thing. Look at his highlights- the chances are there. They tried him with pylons to create two real scoring lines and it was a mess. Theyll get him going next year with real players or they risklosing him. Kid is competetive as all F- hes going to have a monster season. Year one has been burning in his gulike bad chipotle...

Dobber Sports Rookie

I think on teams with equal talent, Hughes would out produce Kakko point wise. In multi-cat, I think Kakko becomes more valuable only because Hughes will bang as much as Johnny Gaudreau.
    My guess is Kakko returns better stats (pts or multi-cat) for the next 3-4 years given the talent disparity and physical maturity. However, once Hughes physically matures and NJ gets/develops more talent, I think Hughes will become a pt per game player or better and be a dominant offensive force.
    Either way, both are great. Let’s not forget how young they are. Very few players are able to come in and dominate at 18.
    Had Hughes gone to college or major junior, we’d be talking about him as the next superstar.
    Good example is Zegras, played on a great US team but was behind Hughes and Turcotte. He went to the NCAA and now he’s being anointed as one of the top players not in the NHL. He’ll be great in a year or two but I still don’t expect much more than a 45-50 pts season out of him.

Dobber Sports Stud

I was among the few who would have drafted Kakko ahead of Hughes last year if I'd had the number 1 pick and their first season did nothing to change my mind. I'm extremely confident that Kakko will be a stud eventually whereas I have high hopes for Hughes but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him become Jonathan Drouin 2.0
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Novice

Hughes made the jump from the usntdp straight to the nhl. I belieive he may have been the first player in history to do that. Either way, he was always expected to develop slowly because of that jump, as well as his size. Being thrown into the new jersey dumpster fire also certainly did not help. But anyone who watched nj saw him flashing elite skill.

Kakko was expected to be the more nhl ready prospect, with a lower ceiling. I didn't get to watch him play, but based on reading the opinions of others, he has not lived up to his nhl-ready tag.

Still early, but Hughes is closer to what most people were expecting.