Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scheifele out

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Scheifele out

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    Respectfully, I have to disagree about the standard response of "it's a hockey play".

Hockey is certainly a risky, violent game and players cannot reasonably expect to avoid all injuries. But what happened last night is so unnecessary that, as a fan of the game (and full disclosure, a fan of the Jets) you just have to wonder what kinds of emotional cripples are playing this sport.

In hockey, we often say a certain player "plays on the edge". In real life, when we encounter people who "play on the edge" we call them "reckless" or say "they have little regard for others and maybe even themselves." Reasonable people tend to call these people out for their stupid, risky behaviour or they may even avoid them entirely. Colloquially, we might call these reckless, thoughtless people "********".

Tkachuk is a reckless player with little regard for others on the ice. In this situation, he's going 100 mph at the boards and sees nothing but 55 on the back of the player. He should know that in that situation, unless he immediately pulls up or peels off, one of two things will happen: (1) he's going to board the other guy into next week and may cause serious injury; or (2) the player he's about to drive through the boards will be alive to the fact he's about to get drilled and, like a reasonable person, the player about to be hit will attempt to avoid the hit with the result being Tkachuk might eat glass so hard that he could suffer serious injury himself.

What happened in this case is (2).

Tkachuk should know that if Scheifele tries to turn up ice (as he did) that his natural reaction will be to shift weight back on his heels because Tkachuk will want to avoid flying into the boards himself. When you're going at that speed and shift weight back then your skate blades will pitch up in front of you. Anyone who has ever skated knows this as a fact.

Now, I don't know if Scheifele was cut, but Tkachuk's split second manoeuvre is so reckless and stupid that even if Scheifele wasn't cut and perhaps instead twisted his knee this is a situation of clearly reckless play which a reasonable observer could only conclude has a high probability of ending in injury. Tkachuk has no regard for other players on the ice and is the kind of player the NHL doesn't need. The fact he's the son of a Jet great is all the more heartbreaking.
    Rep to you sir.

The Great One

Doubtful for game two but not long term...

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1503444.1596430166

Sort of rules out a slice.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This exact play happens 25 times a game without this result. Stop embarrassing and exposing yourself.
    25 times a game someone hits an opponent in the back of a leg with a skate blade? I guess I have been watching the wrong hockey games for the past 40 years because I can only remember seeing that a handful of times over those 40 years. I would like to see the video evidence of these other 24 occurrences in the Jets/Flames game (or even in any other playoff game or even regular season game this season).

Dobber Sports Titan

Do I think Tkachuk meant that? No, no player can do that with accuracy at that speed, and really what player would think of that play? However, he does play recklessly. It's like when someone speeds and crashes and hurts someone else. Did they mean that? No, but you know your actions have consequences.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    25 times a game someone hits an opponent in the back of a leg with a skate blade? I guess I have been watching the wrong hockey games for the past 40 years because I can only remember seeing that a handful of times over those 40 years. I would like to see the video evidence of these other 24 occurrences in the Jets/Flames game (or even in any other playoff game or even regular season game this season).
    “Without that result”

IE. That type of hit.

Reading is hard.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    Respectfully, I have to disagree about the standard response of "it's a hockey play".

Hockey is certainly a risky, violent game and players cannot reasonably expect to avoid all injuries. But what happened last night is so unnecessary that, as a fan of the game (and full disclosure, a fan of the Jets) you just have to wonder what kinds of emotional cripples are playing this sport.

In hockey, we often say a certain player "plays on the edge". In real life, when we encounter people who "play on the edge" we call them "reckless" or say "they have little regard for others and maybe even themselves." Reasonable people tend to call these people out for their stupid, risky behaviour or they may even avoid them entirely. Colloquially, we might call these reckless, thoughtless people "********".

Tkachuk is a reckless player with little regard for others on the ice. In this situation, he's going 100 mph at the boards and sees nothing but 55 on the back of the player. He should know that in that situation, unless he immediately pulls up or peels off, one of two things will happen: (1) he's going to board the other guy into next week and may cause serious injury; or (2) the player he's about to drive through the boards will be alive to the fact he's about to get drilled and, like a reasonable person, the player about to be hit will attempt to avoid the hit with the result being Tkachuk might eat glass so hard that he could suffer serious injury himself.

What happened in this case is (2).

Tkachuk should know that if Scheifele tries to turn up ice (as he did) that his natural reaction will be to shift weight back on his heels because Tkachuk will want to avoid flying into the boards himself. When you're going at that speed and shift weight back then your skate blades will pitch up in front of you. Anyone who has ever skated knows this as a fact.

Now, I don't know if Scheifele was cut, but Tkachuk's split second manoeuvre is so reckless and stupid that even if Scheifele wasn't cut and perhaps instead twisted his knee this is a situation of clearly reckless play which a reasonable observer could only conclude has a high probability of ending in injury. Tkachuk has no regard for other players on the ice and is the kind of player the NHL doesn't need. The fact he's the son of a Jet great is all the more heartbreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Anyways, I assume you're both equally outraged about Pionk headhunting Gaudreau, trying to end his career, and then in a rage after Gaudreau dodged his attempt, intentionally whipping his skate around and trying to cut Gaudreau's internal organs, attempting to end his life.

The Great One

Let’s just keep it to talking about Scheifele’s injury and potential return. If you want to start a “hockey as mortal combat” thread feel free to do so.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Let’s just keep it to talking about Scheifele’s injury and potential return. If you want to start a “hockey as mortal combat” thread feel free to do so.
    +1.

Anyone heard if Scheifele is even potential to take warmups?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think he's been ruled out for the series yet so there's a chance he still comes back to play.

Dobber Sports Deity

Good news for Scheifele, and Scheifele owners.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jets-mark-s...ry/c-319573866

WINNIPEG -- Mark Scheifele said he is healthy and has begun offseason training after the Winnipeg Jets center sustained a leg injury during the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

"I'm 100 percent, no question," Scheifele told NHL.com Tuesday. "Skating every day. I don't know anyone who skates more than I do. I love being on the ice. That's my No. 1 thing. I get on the ice as much as I can."

The 27-year-old played three shifts in Game 1 of the Cup Qualifiers against the Calgary Flames on Aug. 1. Scheifele left at 5:39 of the first period after trying to avoid a hit from Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk.

He didn't play again in the best-of-5 series, which the Jets lost in four games, but said Aug. 11 that he would not need surgery.

Scheifele said that the injury kept him away from the ice and his training for almost a month, but it has not set him back in any of his preparations for the season, which is targeted to begin Jan. 1, 2021. He tied forward Kyle Connor for the Jets lead last season with 73 points (29 goals, 44 assists) in 71 games.

It was the fourth straight season Scheifele averaged at least a point per game.

"I'm not a guy who likes to take much time off [in the offseason]," Scheifele said. "I think I was three weeks off the ice once I got home. I did a ton of rehab on it, lots of treatment, got it back to normal. So I think it was six days before I got home, so a month total.

"I went out to test it out, to make sure it was all good on the first skate and I was unsure how that was going to feel. But as soon as I got on the ice, it felt like it clicked in almost right away. I was like, 'Hey Mark, you can do this. You're totally fine.' So there was no looking back from there."
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."