Thread: Samsonov unavailable for playoffs

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Samsonov unavailable for playoffs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...injury-russia/

TORONTO — Washington Capitals rookie goaltender Ilya Samsonov did not travel to Toronto for the NHL’s restart because he suffered an off-ice injury in Russia during the league’s shutdown and didn’t pass his physical upon returning to the Washington area, General Manager Brian MacLellan said Friday.

Washington announced Saturday that Samsonov, who had not skated the entirety of camp, was injured before training camp and would not be traveling to Toronto. The team has not disclosed the nature of the injury or how it occurred. Samsonov arrived in the Washington area in early July and was seen interacting with teammates off the ice.

MacLellan reiterated Friday that the 23-year-old Russian should be ready for the start of the 2020-21 season.

With Samsonov not in the bubble, the Capitals have three goaltenders: starter Braden Holtby, Vitek Vanecek and Pheonix Copley. Vanecek, who played the third period of the team’s 3-2 exhibition victory over the Carolina Hurricanes, has been told he is the team’s backup goaltender for the postseason.

Ilya Samsonov will not travel with Caps for NHL restart after suffering injury during shutdown

“Vitek, he’s earned a chance to play some games … the exhibition game, that was the first chance we’ve had to really see him in game action,” MacLellan said. “Got put in a difficult situation at 5 on 3 right away, made some good saves, looked confident, looked aggressive, so he made a really good showing, and I think everybody’s pretty optimistic about him right now.”

Holtby, a pending unrestricted free agent, is the unwavering starter, and the Capitals will rely on him for their postseason run. Keeping Holtby on the team next year could prove difficult, though, and the flat salary cap does the Capitals no favors.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Samsonov unavailable for playoffs

Didn't we know this as of a week or so ago?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I just read it this morning.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I thought I had seen that a week ago, but maybe it was just someone theorizing and this was the actual confirmation.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What I'm pretty sure we didn't know is whom the backup would be - and I think few expected it to be Vanecek.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    What I'm pretty sure we didn't know is whom the backup would be - and I think few expected it to be Vanecek.
    Copley has really fallen out of favour since signing that expansion draft contract.