Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Justin Schultz

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Justin Schultz

Where does UFA Schultz end up where he can be become fantasy relevant again on a new team? (PP1)

Presumably, he isn’t re-signing in Pittsburgh.
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Justin Schultz

Considering how thin Pittsburgh is on the backend, I expect they will try and re-sign him.

If not, god only knows where he goes. It will depend on how much money he wants and how desperate teams are.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I think there will be many UFA’s who don’t get all the $$ they hoped for. Schultz is obviously one. When he finds that no team offers him even 4M ?? I see him staying with PIT on a 2 year, 4M deal. Pay cut yes, but life is what it is. He wants more, he needs to show up large in these playoffs.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

My model has him for an AAV about 3M, which Pittsburgh could probably fit.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Pandemic and economic consequences and fall out are major considerations here. My opinion only, but I think a lot of UFA's are staying right where they are and taking club friendly contracts to maintain some personal stability in a time of never before seen crisis and instability. We'll see, but I don't think professional athletes and professional sport are immune to the new normal and new economic realities.

To answer the question, Schultz staying in Pittsburgh for a 3 - 4 MIL shorter term contract sounds about right.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    The Pandemic and economic consequences and fall out are major considerations here. My opinion only, but I think a lot of UFA's are staying right where they are and taking club friendly contracts to maintain some personal stability in a time of never before seen crisis and instability. We'll see, but I don't think professional athletes and professional sport are immune to the new normal and new economic realities.

To answer the question, Schultz staying in Pittsburgh for a 3 - 4 MIL shorter term contract sounds about right.
    Definitely a good point that we could see a lot of "same team" stability contracts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post

Great point Bubba. How can teams pay when there are no fans in the seats? I'm hopeful that eventually we will see fans in the seats, but I see reduced/distanced at first (next season?) and then maybe when this pandemic crap (hopefully) has run it's course, then we'll have a return to "normal".

I also agree with Schultz likely staying in PIT for $3-4M.

Dobber Sports Icon

I also agree that we are going to see less free agents change teams this off-season then in previous years. Schultz will probably be someone who re-signs in Pittsburgh.

With free agency starting in October or November, most of the players with school aged kids are not going to want to move a month or so into the school year.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    With free agency starting in October or November, most of the players with school aged kids are not going to want to move a month or so into the school year.
    Fair point about those with kids. Though as a kid I moved halfway through a school year in elementary school and it wasn't too big a deal.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Fair point about those with kids. Though as a kid I moved halfway through a school year in elementary school and it wasn't too big a deal.
    And look how good you turned out!!!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I suspect that kids are less of a factor than most of us would think, due to players having lots of experience with changing places, and having enough money that boarding schools or fully online charter schools are definitely in play as an option for most NHL players who have only a kid or two.

So if the family doesn't base their lives where they player has home games, or the children are in a school where that location doesn't matter, there's not a lot of impact.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

A lot of great points made about the cap and the "status quo" teams through the pandemic fallout. Easy to see that he stays in PIT.

I wonder if it's plausible to have Schultz end up in NJ if PK Subban doesn't recover from his less than stellar year. With Vatanen shipped out to CAR, I wonder if that leaves the door open for a talent like Schultz. Also, Will Butcher hasn't appeared to grab the bull by the horns when given the chance.

The other option I'd keep in mind is if he goes unprotected and the Kraken think that he can anchor (no pun intended) the D and PP1. Something to consider.
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sophomore

So it sounds like Schultz is done in Pittsburgh then.

So which new team gives his fantasy upside a boost? Edmonton perhaps? Thoughts on his fantasy upside on a new team?
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Toronto.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Toronto.
    God, hope not....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund