Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My offer just got accepted. Controversial.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: My offer just got accepted. Controversial.

In a keep 8, I can appreciate why you want to move those guys but man that's a lot of quality going out for only two picks, even if that quality wasn't going to make it on your team. I would have expected more in return for all those assets, especially a good young goalie like Gibson.

What's worse is you probably just massively upgraded his team, pushing those picks further down the draft list than they would be today.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

One persons trash is anothers treasure. Smart to bundle them up for a bigger return.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think you gave up way to much.

2022 is a long ways away. I would have tried trading these guys for picks not as far in the future. You haven't even completed the 2020 draft by the sounds of it.. so those picks are three drafts away.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think you did OK, maybe the best you could do.

You gave up 6 players for 2 picks...

Now Teravainen is the only player that was arguably a keeper, and I like the 8 you have over anything you gave up so those 6 players are worth nothing right now. You turned nothing into 2 picks, 2 first rounders at that. In partial keepers 1st rounders are a lot more valuable than 2-4 which can be similar because you have a shot at the top rookies and the top level "just cut" players.

Everyone wants to trade their 9th-12th best players for picks (because they want something for nothing) and most teams have at least 6 good keepers so its usually a buyer's market. Could you have gotten more pieces trading all 6 individually? Perhaps but you likely only move 3-4 of them, for 2nd-3rd rounders, which you could then bundle to get to 2-1sts..... I don't love that the picks are so far away but 2 1sts is a good return in a limited keeper.

The thing I may be most confused about is why the other guy wanted all 6 players. He can only keep 8, did he have only 2 players better than the 6 traded or did he figure might as well corner the market and get extras given they are worth nothing to you..

All in all solid trade, Be happy with some extra picks.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I stopped doing (what I call...) less than 50% keepers a few years ago.
    So, this league is 12team, rostering a full 20 (12F/6D/2G) + bench.
    And you only keep 8.
    Keeping 8/24 PRO players is 33% (way less than 50%)... so these massive quantity for quality trades happen (by experience).
    And they can really suck.
    And many GMs don't know how they impact teams... and the league.

Yeah... it becomes imbalanced... the top teams become the top teams and it becomes REALLY, REALLY hard to displace them unless EVERY rebuilder subscribes to same theory:
    *Do NOT trade away your picks for a guy that becomes your #4 or #5 best keeper.

But... the crap teams can't help themselves.
    Then those GMs who can't figure out why they aren't emerging get cycled out yearly.

A team with Horvat & Risto & Teuvo... it just doesn't get the job done.
    At best, it's a middling team... which is the WORST spot to be... you don't get a top pick, you don't compete.
    Awful.

That team should've sat in the basement thru 2023, collected top picks, dealing any sort of 4th/5th/6th best players they have, every year, to competing teams... for picks.

The trade... is fine.
    But leagues with GMs that don't know how to build and keep the picks (1st rounders) that WILL become a top3 type keeper...
    They just suck... and their inaptitude in partial keepr fantasy hockey simply contributes to the teams making trades with them.

As for the trade between OP and noob-GM.
    1. So long as the two of you aren't buddies,
    2. So long as you aren't the commissioner who invites that GM in...
    It's a fine trade.

If you qualify for either #1 or #2... yeah, I've got an issue with it.
    Do.Tell.

The Great One

You trade 5 drops (i.e. nothing of value) for a 1st round pick.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I just came across this post, a wee bit late to the game. When I first started reading this it was indeed a WTF?? However, reading further put things into context. I don't consider this controversial whatsoever. In fact in limited keepers and often in CAP leagues the top teams often have no choice but to cut loose high end talent. The other GM's of course are circling like sharks because they know they have you by the short a curlies. So, all you can do is try and get what you can. The only thing I might have done differently would be packaging up two or three of these guys and shop those packages separately rather than the one massive trade. That's worked for me in the past, but I don't blame you for getting it done with the one deal, still, you might have squeezed a bit more out of it.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

It was a smart move by you. You gave up a bunch of your garbage for something that you could use in the future. The other GM did not help themselves much by making the deal but you sure did.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I stopped doing (what I call...) less than 50% keepers a few years ago.
    So, this league is 12team, rostering a full 20 (12F/6D/2G) + bench.
    And you only keep 8.
    Keeping 8/24 PRO players is 33% (way less than 50%)... so these massive quantity for quality trades happen (by experience).
    And they can really suck.
    And many GMs don't know how they impact teams... and the league.

Yeah... it becomes imbalanced... the top teams become the top teams and it becomes REALLY, REALLY hard to displace them unless EVERY rebuilder subscribes to same theory:
    *Do NOT trade away your picks for a guy that becomes your #4 or #5 best keeper.

But... the crap teams can't help themselves.
    Then those GMs who can't figure out why they aren't emerging get cycled out yearly.

A team with Horvat & Risto & Teuvo... it just doesn't get the job done.
    At best, it's a middling team... which is the WORST spot to be... you don't get a top pick, you don't compete.
    Awful.

That team should've sat in the basement thru 2023, collected top picks, dealing any sort of 4th/5th/6th best players they have, every year, to competing teams... for picks.

The trade... is fine.
    But leagues with GMs that don't know how to build and keep the picks (1st rounders) that WILL become a top3 type keeper...
    They just suck... and their inaptitude in partial keepr fantasy hockey simply contributes to the teams making trades with them.

As for the trade between OP and noob-GM.
    1. So long as the two of you aren't buddies,
    2. So long as you aren't the commissioner who invites that GM in...
    It's a fine trade.

If you qualify for either #1 or #2... yeah, I've got an issue with it.
    Do.Tell.
    Geez, I better answer these questions because they are in bold.

1) We are all buddies in the pool and we all know each other. We don’t all hang out, but we have live drafts once a year at someone’s house and your presence is mandatory. This specific trading partner is not a friend in my circle however.

2) I am co-commish and I did not invite this guy into our league 6 years ago.

There is no collusion. I simply wanted something for nothing and I could only get that from one of the two bottom teams. I was actually hoping the other guy would accept the deal first because I already had the 1st rounder in 2021 from the guy who said yes and now I just made his team better. No big deal though because the 2021 draft class doesn’t scream fantasy beast like 2020 or 2022 does in my opinion.