Thread: Goalie draft strategy - three separate drafts

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Goalie draft strategy - three separate drafts

Hi all, I'm about to go into the first of three drafts, the three drafts consist of;

Prospect Draft (all players under 120gp for skaters and 60gp for goalies) (no 2020 prospects)
    2020 Prospect Draft (all 2020 prospect players and any left over from Prospect draft)
    Inaugural Draft - Filling the active spots, all players available.

This is the order we're going in and I'm doing prospects for the first time, thanks to dobbers help I've put together a pretty extensive list of 200 + prospects but I definitely need more (400 spots to fill lol)

However, I have a possible goalie drafting idea that might work, in the prospect draft there are a few good goalies who are potentially starters next year or the year after
    Ilya Samsonov, Ilya Sorokin, Elvis Merzlikins, Thatcher Demko, Igor Shesterkin and to a lesser extent goalies like Kaapo Kahkonen and Alex Nedeljkovic have a shot.

My thoughts are, if I can get one or 2 of those guys with my first two picks (14th and 27th overall) then would leave me to be in a real good situation going into the inaugural draft where I only need to pick up 1 or 2 goalies. Would you say this is a good plan? As an example of players I'd be missing out on if these guys are there, based on my position

Nick Suzuki, Dylan Cozens, Bowen Byram and Kailer Yamamoto are all around #14 and Nic Robertson, Podkolzin, Dobson, Frost, Hayton & Zadina around #27

Obviously players might not be taken or some might be taken early so it could easily end up different, or all these goalies might get swooped up early (I've got Shesty, Samsonov and Sorokin ranked #5,6,7). But I wanted to know whether you guys think this is a good idea?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Goalie draft strategy - three separate drafts

Well the first thing and probably the most important thing is to always list out all details

1. League type (Dynasty vs. Limited Keeper vs. One -year, Roto vs. H2H vs. Points only) Note: A points league that gives point values to categories does not equal points only.
    2. Salary or non-salary (also follow NHL salary cap hit or another type of salary setting)
    3. Scoring categories
    4. Forward position differentiation (i.e. C/LW/RW, or simply F)
    5. Daily starts vs. Weekly starts
    6. How many players at each position iced per night. (i.e. 2G - That is a big one that makes a huge difference). Minimum goalie starts (i.e. 1 per week, 2 per week)
    7. Number of teams in the league - Important when talking goalies. There are 30 teams in the NHL meaning 30 starters in the NHL. If you're in a league with 16 teams that ices 2G per night..etc.
    8. League Provider -Don't assume that everybody uses the same league provider as you as some providers have different position eligibility among other things.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hey axeman, apologies pretty new around here!

1. Dynasty h2h weekly
    2. Non salary
    3/4. https://gyazo.com/7bd8cde3a16ae251dd3ff8e2a6f16cf1
    5. Daily starts
    6. 3 goalie starts a week - no min number for skaters
    7. 20 teams
    8. Fantrax

Dobber Sports Titan

The top guys like Shesterkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, and maybe Elvis, are worth a high pick but wait on the other guys. Goalie prospects are very tough to gauge, and even someone like Markstrom took 5+ years longer than expected. Guys like Petersen, Hill, Oettinger, Annunen, Delia, etc, etc, could be just as good as guys like Demko or Kahkonen, so I wouldn't pass on top tier skaters for them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

I have a feeling Sorokin might drop to 14, so I might go for him then, then if theres no big names and Elvis is available at 27, I'll pick him up. Thank you!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm working on a reply to your PM, but these are the only guys I'd be willing to take very high:

Shesterkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, and Elvis.

Sorokin is honestly a guess at his being a NHL starting caliber goalie, but I'm confident the rest have the talent, because I've seen it.

Once you get past this group, I break them out as:

NHL backup or good AHL starter now - good chance they stick in the NHL for a while.
    Good Pro experience, but not in North America - unsure if they come over or translate well to larger ice.
    AHL/ECHL guys in the pipeline - need to evaluate versus others in their NHL teams pipeline
    Juniors/NCAA guys - roll those dice
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.