Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keep 5 For 2020-21 Season

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keep 5 For 2020-21 Season

Hey all,

It's time for my annual feedback request on who to keep on my roster for next season. This is a mostly points only 12-team H2H League with the following scoring categories.

Skaters - 3 points per goal, 2 points per assist, 1 point per minor Penalty. Nominal bonuses for hits, SOG, blocks, but not really enough to sway things.
    Goalies - 3 points per win, 5 points per S/O, 0.2 points per save, -1 point per loss.

Daily starting positional requirements - 3 C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, one UTIL (any skater), 2 G

Keeper Candidates

Nikita Kuckerov (RW) - no doubter
    Jonathan Huberdeau (LW) - no doubter
    Mitch Marner (C/RW) - No doubter
    Mark Scheifele (C) - Since he has no other positional eligibility, thinking about moving him in a trade to load up on Wingers or D as my keepers.
    Travis Konecny (LW/RW) - I really want to keep him. He just looks like he has "it". Not sure what "it" is, but he has it.
    Patrik Laine (LW/RW) - I can't imagine he's peaked already at just 21 years old.
    Jordan Binnington (G) - Kept him last year and that turned out to be a good decision, but not sure i can justify it now.
    Quinn Hughes (D) - The best is yet to come.
    Dougie Hamilton (D) - I would feel better about him if he didn't get hurt (injured again too).
    Tony DeAngelo (D) - Not sure he has the Rangers PP1 on lock.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Keep 5 For 2020-21 Season

I'm want to say that Laine and Q. Hughes are your other two. Lots of good candidates there.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

12 Team and 2 Goalie makes it hard not to keep Binnington.. but the skaters you have makes it not wise to keep him again.

With goals being worth extra.. you have to Keep Laine.

And its also hard to drop Scheifele and Konecny... but I think you have to to keep Hughes on your roster.

Hopefully you can redraft one of Scheifele or Konecny early on.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

4. D.Hamilton
    5. Q.Hughes

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd say your for sure is Hughes, and your probably is Laine (maybe Binner instead, but extra for goals makes me lean to Laine).
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Binnington and Hughes.

As you said, best is yet to come for Hughes.

For Binnington, who do you have that you would replace him with? He's a top 5 goalie in the league. Can hurt to hold on to him for one more year. He wasnt lights out this year like last but I'd rather have him than say Martin Jones or Carter Hutton.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

im a canucks fan but dont know how you justify dropping hamilton who is more proven than hughes, i get the injury side of things, but too much emphasis these days on youth and not enough proven production

I like the following

Kuch, Hubs, Marner, schief, hamilton hughes, and if it is difficult gaining goalie depth in a 12 man pool i keep binnington over hughes ,

my 2 cents

Dobber Sports Jedi

Hamilton & Laine for me.

I get the Hughes love, but forgive me for believing he's going to have a tougher sophomore season. See Werenski.
    Not to mention if Tanev walks Hughes will be massively exposed next year. He's not worth a 5 keeper spot yet.

Take proven - not hype
    The goal bonus makes Laine a lock.

12 teams 2 G each - most will keep 1 max. Some will keep none. 8-10 kept max and probably only 3 of the top 10 goalies for 20/21 will be kept.
    You can always find G's cheap in mid-late rounds.

Where was Rittich, Varlamov, Grubaurer taken?

Gibson who's a legit top real live goalie - will slide. He'd be a later round target.
    Dubnyk will be available late and I suspect he'll have a solid bounce back season as well.

lots of G options, I let Binnginton go.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Playing devil's advocate RE: Hughes vs. Hamilton....Hughes had 53 points at 20 years old, something 27-year old Hamilton has done, well never (although he would have assuredly blown past that if he never got hurt). I do like Dougie's boost in the PIM dept though.

I also should have added...goalies are over-valued to a sickening degree in this league. You are only allowed to keep one year-to-year (and only allowed to roster 3), so everyone immediately pounces in the draft...you might see 8 go in the first round (which results in some great skater value). I don't get it at all since hoarding goalies means you lose out on guys have a high likelihood of being keeper worthy, but I'm obviously not going to to tell leaguemates how to they should draft. That was part of my rationale for keeping Binnington last year since I had a late first round pick and figured goalies would be picked through before i even got a chance to draft.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    4. D.Hamilton
    5. Q.Hughes
    I agree

Dobber Sports Deity

Laine and Binnington for me.

I rarely keep D in limited keepers because they dont hold the same eye candy value as most forwards/goalies. If you had a bump in scoring for D, then that changes things but thats not the case here. In a league that starts 2G and you already have a stud G, you have to keep him. Sure, there will be goalies available for redraft, but if you already hold a top 5 goalie (and I would assume Binner was a top 5 goalie in your setup), you hold that and redraft your 2nd goalie early on.

Thats my philosophy here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Inclined to agree. This League has been around a decade and I have never kept a defenseman, and rarely does anyone else outside of like prime Erik Karlsson/Brent Burns. Last year was the first time I had ever kept a goal tender.

Problem with keeping zero goaltenders is they dry up so fast in the draft, I end up having to take swings on timeshare guys or backups and hope they hit or stream heavily (max 5 waiver moves per week).

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Laine and Binnington for me.

I rarely keep D in limited keepers because they dont hold the same eye candy value as most forwards/goalies. If you had a bump in scoring for D, then that changes things but thats not the case here. In a league that starts 2G and you already have a stud G, you have to keep him. Sure, there will be goalies available for redraft, but if you already hold a top 5 goalie (and I would assume Binner was a top 5 goalie in your setup), you hold that and redraft your 2nd goalie early on.

Thats my philosophy here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Based on further info, i would say keep binnington and hamilton , that way well others are grabbing a goalie you can grab a skater, or if you see fit another goalie, also would depend when your first pick is for me,

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Not actually sure how we're doing draft order this year since (like most leagues i'm sure) we were in the middle of the first round of playoffs when the NHL season ended.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post
    Based on further info, i would say keep binnington and hamilton , that way well others are grabbing a goalie you can grab a skater, or if you see fit another goalie, also would depend when your first pick is for me,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd keep Binnington (I don't think you can dump the defending SC team's goalie) and Hughes (Vancouver's PP will still be great and Hughes will get tons of assists). Laine is very tempting though, so for me it's between those three. Hopefully whoever you drop will be there for when you have your pick.