Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NHL Playoff Overtime Challenge - Discussion

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 2020 NHL Playoff Overtime Challenge - Discussion

It's game 1. I'm hoping the Coyotes make it a series as I went heavy with their players in one of my playoff pools.

FIRST OR WORST!

Dobber Sports Titan

Looks like Commish and I jinxed away an OT in the Vancouver/St Louis game. Going to have to watch the third period highlights to figure out why it fell apart for StLouis.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Looks like Commish and I jinxed away an OT in the Vancouver/St Louis game. Going to have to watch the third period highlights to figure out why it fell apart for StLouis.
    yes. Thanks a lot for that. I was hoping to see some good overtime hockey again!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Two words...Jordan Binnington! He let in an absolute stinker from Troy Stecher. Then Vince Dunn got beat badly on a 1 on 1 and Binnington was unable to make a save. St Louis dominated the entire 3rd period and only gave up 5 shots but 3 of them ended up in the back of the net.

What are everyone's thoughts on the pre-picking of OT winners?

Dobber Sports Titan

Probably shouldn't, but there's no rule against it for now and I really thought that game was going to go into OT 3-3
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

I have just had some questions about it...

Maybe we should make a rule against it?

Or make a rule that it has to be done within a certain time? Like I can't toss out my prediction for Game 7 of the Islanders/Capitals Overtime game today...

But what is the right time limit if there is one?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Guru

I think it would get too confusing. Someone posts their picks, and people not watching the game will think there's an overtime to rush and make their picks. Then someone will obviously ask why picks are made if there's no OT.

The only exception I could think of would be for the late game. In those games, the third period doesn't end until after 1 a.m. EST (2:30 a.m. Newfoundland time). So a lot of East coasters are already in bed. However, this will just lead to a rush of picks before bed, no matter what the score is or what period the game is.

Dobber Sports Titan

Probably best to just say the third period has to be over to make a pick. Easy, done.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think it would get too confusing. Someone posts their picks, and people not watching the game will think there's an overtime to rush and make their picks. Then someone will obviously ask why picks are made if there's no OT.

The only exception I could think of would be for the late game. In those games, the third period doesn't end until after 1 a.m. EST (2:30 a.m. Newfoundland time). So a lot of East coasters are already in bed. However, this will just lead to a rush of picks before bed, no matter what the score is or what period the game is.
    But then we need to make an exception for the early games...how can you expect me to be awake and ready to be posting on the forum at 3:30pm local time?

Dobber Sports Monster

In the intermission between periods 3 and 4 has been the unofficial rule basically since we started doing it. Although if someone wants to fire out their picks in the 2nd half of the 3rd I don't mind. That's when people start thinking about their picks anyways.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm good if restrict picks to actual OT games. I just hate missing out! lol Also, what about making picks in between say the first and second OT's...or third or fourth? Is that allowed since it's still OT and there has been no goal? Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm good if restrict picks to actual OT games. I just hate missing out! lol Also, what about making picks in between say the first and second OT's...or third or fourth? Is that allowed since it's still OT and there has been no goal? Just thinking out loud.
    I am good with whatever. I just want everyone to be on the same page. I also hate missing out and I love the competitiveness this has become.

I also don’t want someone picking the OT winner days or hours before.

how about this... if you are busy for the end of the game and know you will be away.. you can make the pick but it has to be during the game. That will make it a lot easier to track. That way I won’t have people picking the 4th game of the day when it’s still game 1 for the day.

and picks have to be clearly labelled as to which game.

and Yes. Last year we allowed picks in between overtime periods.

This would have to be on the honour system as we can’t be constantly watching the time to see what time OT 3 ends and what time OT4 starts.

hope everyone is on board with these. If you have major concerns feel free to discuss or PM me

​​

Newfcollins if you see this you can make a new pick for Pacioretty. I think he is deemed unfit to play and isn’t playing this game.

​​

Strome hit the crossbar! So close!

​​