Thread: 14th overall 2020 draft pick, points only.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default 14th overall 2020 draft pick, points only.

I've been reading the guide but curious to see some other's thoughts on who to take at 14th overall. D men have little value unless they're guys like Dahlin. Outside of the top 5-8, I don't know much about the remaining projected 1st round fwds. Thanks all!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: 14th overall 2020 draft pick, points only.

That is a very hard question to answer without knowing who is available to you.

Your team is incredibly young and looks like it needs a lot more talent in order to compete in a 12 team league.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    That is a very hard question to answer without knowing who is available to you.

Your team is incredibly young and looks like it needs a lot more talent in order to compete in a 12 team league.
    Only prospects in this year's draft are available. Anyone not taken goes onto our waiver wire.

If that's what you were curious about. Also, I appreciate you saying "young" and not "young and crappy" haha!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If we're discounting the value of Dmen and it's points only then this is my ranking :

1. Lafreniere
    2. Byfield
    3. Stutzle
    4. Rossi
    5. Raymond
    6. Perfetti
    7. Holtz
    8. Askarov
    9. Amirov
    10. Gunler
    11. Jarvis
    12. Quinn
    13. Mercer
    14. Bourque
    15. Lapierre
    16. Lundell

I might be a little high on Gunler and Amirov but I also have 14 in my 2020 only draft and if I get any of the above there I'm happy and we'd both be guaranteed that much.

So just study up on 9-16 and pick your favourites. Quinn could go as high as 8. Lapierre is also a health risk but could pay off.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks, my dude! Can't rep but sending a virtual high five!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DocMcPuffin View Post
    Only prospects in this year's draft are available. Anyone not taken goes onto our waiver wire.

If that's what you were curious about. Also, I appreciate you saying "young" and not "young and crappy" haha!
    I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say. What he was saying is we have no clue who will still be there once you're ready to pick at 14 from this years class.

I think even if you take out some of the D, the top 8 or so is pretty clear so at that point, so safe to eliminate guys like (in no particular order) Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Askarov, and Holtz. To me, those guys have no business being anywhere past 8 but who knows. Someone might surprise you and take Drysdale even if D have little value. Offensive Dmen are a rare bird and I think if he slips to you at 14, I'd still consider him over some of the forwards who could be there.

The second tier of guys are guys like Zary, Jarvis, Quinn and Mercer. Some will have Lundell in there too I guess so thats getting close to your spot. The next level would have guys like Amirov, Gunler, Perreault, and Bourque. My guess is you will have a pick from one of these guys unless someone from the second tier I just mentioned slips to you.

Honestly, until your draft happens, it's hard to tell you much more than that. We have no clue who values who and who will draft who before it gets to you.

Until the actual NHL draft happens,
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Probably should have worded the title better. My bad. Basically what you and tcat provided was what I was looking for. Not one player in particular, but a few which people think will be available around that pick.

My apologies.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    If we're discounting the value of Dmen and it's points only then this is my ranking :

1. Lafreniere
    2. Byfield
    3. Stutzle
    4. Rossi
    5. Raymond
    6. Perfetti
    7. Holtz
    8. Askarov
    9. Amirov
    10. Gunler
    11. Jarvis
    12. Quinn
    13. Mercer
    14. Bourque
    15. Lapierre
    16. Lundell
    This is a really good list for skaters-only point leagues, because a 55pt F is still better than a 50pt D. (In F/D positional leagues, Drysdale is still a top 7 pick)
    I own the #2, #6, and #11 picks in one of my leagues... and my list is fairly similar for top 6, top 12... but with Drysdale & Sanderson in consideration since we have F&D.
    Amirov and Gunler are the two that aren't commonly (on many prospect rankers) top 10 players... so those may be the two value-players that fall to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1. Lafreniere
    2. Byfield
    3. Stutzle
    4. Rossi
    5. Raymond
    6. Perfetti
    7. Holtz
    8. Askarov
    9. Amirov
    10. Gunler
    11. Jarvis
    12. Quinn
    13. Mercer
    14. Bourque
    15. Lapierre
    16. Lundell
    This is a good list to start. You can add Perreault if you look for more risk/upside, at the bottom of this list. You can pretty much also look at the other post listing the recent draft picks from other leagues and take out D and G to have an idea.

Also, the only part of your roster you're in good shape is with your goalies. So as elite as I think Askarov will be, I think it would be a really bad move to draft him. With no positional requirements and your current situation, you have to pick a forward.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    This is a good list to start. You can add Perreault if you look for more risk/upside, at the bottom of this list. You can pretty much also look at the other post listing the recent draft picks from other leagues and take out D and G to have an idea.

Also, the only part of your roster you're in good shape is with your goalies. So as elite as I think Askarov will be, I think it would be a really bad move to draft him. With no positional requirements and your current situation, you have to pick a forward.
    Thanks! I won't really be focusing on goalies this year, as we usually have good ones available on the waiver wire. Guys like Sorokin and Shesterkin were never drafted, and I managed to get them off the waiver. I'll take a look at the post you mentioned and add that to my notes.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the list Tcat provided above. I do think some people are sleeping on Lundell a little, and if he's there at 14 he would likely be my pick there (assuming no crazy slides).
    Amirov and Gubler have some question marks, so I may have Jarvis and Quinn a touch above them. Mercer is a solid option and right in the wheelhouse of the 14th pick too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I think Lundell will be solid but not high offensive upside, if this was a league that had peripheral stats id have him higher

Dobber Sports Icon

That list is very good but it is missing Lukas Reichel. He's going to surprise a lot of fantasy GMs when he gets chosen in the top 12.