Thread: Madden vs. 2020 crop - Rep where I can

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Madden vs. 2020 crop - Rep where I can

Hey guys,

I've been following Tyler Madden a bit and he seems to be flying under the radar despite some great numbers. Kid seems like the total package, just needs to fill out a bit.

Where would you place him in this year's draft? I'm currently picking at 15 and 23. I'm thinking 15 is a tad too early for him as I suspect someone that I don't expect will fall to me (i.e last year Newhook/Gusev fell to me at 15/16) but 23 seems like a more reasonable spot.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Madden vs. 2020 crop - Rep where I can

I wouldn't be tempted to reach for him too early. That said, that 23rd pick seems reasonable but I'd base that decision on who else might be available with that pick. The problem with Madden IMO is the impressive depth the Kings have in rookie centers, Valardi, Turcotte, JAD, Thomas and Kupari all in the mix. How all this shakes out remains to be seen, Madden is certainly in that mix too, but the competition is going to be fierce to secure a spot.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

First, I like Madden. He's quick and really good at putting the puck in the net. He's going to have to put some weight on because at 155lbs he's going to get destroyed at the pro-level (he looks like he's 15yo tbh). I just don't think he's going to be the game changer in LA. He will be 21 when the season starts and probably going to be in the AHL. Second, when I draft in the twenties I usually try to swing for the fences with guys like Gunler, Mysak, Amirov, Marat... Except Madden has already a couple of years of development a head of the 2020 drafties.

I think that he's not bad choice at 23th but like you said at 15th it's a reach in this year draft (2020).
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I wouldn't be tempted to reach for him too early. That said, that 23rd pick seems reasonable but I'd base that decision on who else might be available with that pick. The problem with Madden IMO is the impressive depth the Kings have in rookie centers, Valardi, Turcotte, JAD, Thomas and Kupari all in the mix. How all this shakes out remains to be seen, Madden is certainly in that mix too, but the competition is going to be fierce to secure a spot.
    add byfield or stutzle to that too....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks gents, agree with everything you all are saying.

I wouldn't be using 15 on him. Our drafts are very fluid, normally with a lot of movement. I suspect I won't actually pick at 23, someone will either slide that I want and I will try to move up to get them (Kaliyev last year at 18) or the guys I'm real high on will be off the board and I'll look to trade down and get some extra future picks and look for value later. Always the possibility that Madden slides as well and I pick him up for near-nothing towards the end of the draft.

As always, appreciate your input. Repped where I can.

Dobber Sports Star

I'd put Madden closer to 30 than to 23. Madden has one good year, his D+2 season last year, compared with all the prior so-so seasons. It may be that Madden turned some kind of corner last year, but it is more likely that last year is the outlier and his ceiling a good 3rd liner. Couple that with the Kings' bounty of young talent, it is hard to firmly say that Madden is going to be a top 6 player for the Kings. Shiny toys don't all work out, but at this point I'd rather take a chance on a Jacob Perreault or Noel Gunler and hope they improve.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd be fine drafting him at 23 this year if he lasts that long.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd be fine drafting him at 23 this year if he lasts that long.
    you think he has a chance to crack that lineup in next 2-3 years? im worried there just is no room...or maybe trade for a D would open up opportunity...

After Byfield goes to LA i think Madden and Kupari are in very very tough position
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    you think he has a chance to crack that lineup in next 2-3 years? im worried there just is no room...or maybe trade for a D would open up opportunity...

After Byfield goes to LA i think Madden and Kupari are in very very tough position
    It's pretty easy to move to the wing. If he's good enough, they'll find a spot for him. I think he's good enough.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Without seeing more names of who was left over along with Madden, I don't know if I would take him at 23 even.

Call me crazy, but I'd take Jan Jenik at 23 before I'd take Madden. Even with his breakout last year in the OHL.
    I still think he's flying a bit under the radar.

Normally, the 23 range is where I like to swing for the fences. Last year I grabbed N. Robertson in that range in a couple pools.

If Bemmstrom/Texier/Dube are there - I'd nab any of them first as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4